Monday, February 16, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

Iran arrests marathon organisers over women not wearing hijab

The Iranian judiciary says two organisers of a marathon have been arrested for allowing women who were not wearing hijabs to take part.

The move comes after images appeared online of unveiled women competing in the race on Friday.

Two thousand women and 3,000 men took part separately in the marathon on Kish Island off the southern coast of Iran.

Dressed in red t-shirts, some of the women competitors were clearly not wearing the hijab or any other head covering.

This drew very different reactions.

Many supporters of change in Iran enthusiastically hailed the images as further evidence of Iranian women rejecting the restrictions placed by the authorities on what they can wear.

For their part, Iranian officials have responded to it as an unacceptable challenge to the status quo.

The judiciary has moved quickly against the organisers.

It is not just the flouting of the rules on the hijab by some female competitors but that the marathon was held at all that has drawn condemnation from the country theocratic Islamic leadership.

Just a few years ago, the sight of so many Iranian women in sports gear participating in such a mass public event – even if segregated from male participants – would have been seen as a contravention.

The prosecutor in Kish said the way that the race was being held was in itself a “violation of public decency”.

The issue of the hijab remains at the heart of the debate on where Iran might be going.

Government action against women appearing in public without a head covering has varied – sometimes permitting a loosening of the rules, at others mounting a clampdown on any transgression.

The mass protests that rocked Iran for months three years ago were triggered by the death of the young Kurdish Iranian woman, Mahsa Amini, who died in custody after being detained over an alleged breach of the dress code.

Since the protests were quelled through force and mass arrests, some Iranian women have continued to defy the rules.

That has prompted a recent pushback by the authorities.

The head of the judiciary has warned of a renewed campaign against women not wearing the hijab in public.

Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei said that intelligence agencies had been ordered to identify and report on what he called “organised trends promoting immorality and non-veiling”.

There is clearly no end for now in the standoff between Iran’s leaders and many of its own people – particularly in the younger generation – over how women are allowed to dress.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Topics

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Norwegian scientist suffers brain damage after testing secret microwave device on himself to disprove ‘Havana Syndrome’: Report

A scientist in Norway gave himself brain damage after he tested a secret weapon on himself to disprove the existence of Havana Syndrome, it emerged. Read More

UK resident Gurpreet Randhawa jailed for assaulting minors, threatened victims into sending indecent images

A 21‑year‑old man from Wolverhampton, UK has been jailed for 18 years for a series of sex offences against children involving two 15‑year‑old girls and a 12‑year‑old girl, police said. Read More

Three US-Sanctioned Tankers Seized Off Mumbai Coast This Month: Report

Indian authorities seized three ships near Mumbai, boosting maritime surveillance. Two vessels linked to Iran had complex ownership and identity changes. Read More

Related Articles