Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

Hamas military leader in Gaza objects to ceasefire plan, BBC understands

The BBC understands that mediators have made contact with the head of Hamas’s military wing in Gaza, who indicated he does not agree to new US ceasefire plan.

Izz al-Din al-Haddad is thought to believe the plan was designed to finish Hamas, whether the group accepts it or not, and so is determined to fight on.

US President Donald Trump’s 20-point framework to end the war – which has already been accepted by Israel – stipulates that Hamas disarm and have no future role in governing Gaza.

It is thought that some of Hamas’s political leadership in Qatar are open to accepting it with adjustments – but have found their influence limited as they do not have control of the hostages held by the group.

There are believed to be 48 remaining hostages, only 20 of whom are thought to be alive.

Another stumbling block for some in Hamas is that the plan requires them to hand over all of the hostages over the first 72 hours of the ceasefire – giving away their only bargaining chip.

Even with Trump’s guarantee that Israel would abide by the terms, there is a lack of trust within the group that Israel would not resume its military operations once it had received the hostages – particularly after it attempted to assassinate the Hamas leadership in Doha in an air strike last month, in defiance of the US.

Some Hamas leaders are also thought to object to the deployment by the US and Arab states of what the plan describes as “a temporary International Stabilisation Force” to Gaza, which they view as a new form of occupation.

Additionally, a map of the proposed phased Israeli troop withdrawals from Gaza shared by the Trump administration shows what it refers to as a “security buffer zone” along Gaza’s borders with Egypt and Israel.

It is unclear how this would be administered, but if Israel is involved it is also likely to be a point of contention.

Further, since agreeing to the plan on Monday evening, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has appeared to push back on several of the terms.

In a video shared on X, he insisted that the Israeli military would be able to remain in parts of Gaza and that Israel said it would “forcibly resist” a Palestinian state.

This goes against the terms of the US framework, which stipulates that Israeli forces would withdraw completely “save for a security perimeter presence that will remain until Gaza is properly secure from any resurgent terror threat”.

It also says that once the plan is complete there may be a “credible pathway to Palestinian self-determination and statehood”.

Hamas has previously said it would not disarm until a sovereign Palestinian state is established.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 66,225 people have been killed in Israeli attacks in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s Hamas-run health ministry.

Go to Source

Hot this week

AIFF-Mohun Bagan Unity Cup drama escalates as late squad changes force visa rush

India’s Unity Cup preparations have faced disruption after Mohun Bagan withdrew all seven players, forcing AIFF into a last-minute squad reshuffle and urgent visa arrangements ahead of the London tournament. Read More

Rahul’s ‘govt will fall’ remark hints at conspiracy: Piyush Goyal

New Delhi: BJP said Sunday that Rahul Gandhi’s reported comment at a Congress event that govt will fall within a year is a no ordinary statement but a pointer to the conspiracy to stoke anarchy and destabilise the country. Read More

Congress in sync with SP in UP, time for talks: Ex-MP PL Punia

NEW DELHI: With political focus shifting to the battle for Uttar Pradesh, senior Congress member and former MP P L Punia wants the party to immediately start the seat-sharing talks with ally Samajwadi Party. Read More

Congress rules out AIADMK entry into Tamil Nadu government

NEW DELHI: Amid continuing controversy over the fate of the AIADMK rebel faction in Tamil Nadu and close numbers enjoyed by governing TVK coalition, Congress MP Manickam Tagore said AIADMK won’t join the Vijay govt, and the mand Read More

PM Modi has handed sovereign India’s foreign policy to US, says Congress

New Delhi: With US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announcing that India has pledged to purchase goods worth $500 billion from the US over the next five years, Congress on Sunday alleged PM Modi has handed over sovereign India’s Read More

Topics

AIFF-Mohun Bagan Unity Cup drama escalates as late squad changes force visa rush

India’s Unity Cup preparations have faced disruption after Mohun Bagan withdrew all seven players, forcing AIFF into a last-minute squad reshuffle and urgent visa arrangements ahead of the London tournament. Read More

Rahul’s ‘govt will fall’ remark hints at conspiracy: Piyush Goyal

New Delhi: BJP said Sunday that Rahul Gandhi’s reported comment at a Congress event that govt will fall within a year is a no ordinary statement but a pointer to the conspiracy to stoke anarchy and destabilise the country. Read More

Congress in sync with SP in UP, time for talks: Ex-MP PL Punia

NEW DELHI: With political focus shifting to the battle for Uttar Pradesh, senior Congress member and former MP P L Punia wants the party to immediately start the seat-sharing talks with ally Samajwadi Party. Read More

Congress rules out AIADMK entry into Tamil Nadu government

NEW DELHI: Amid continuing controversy over the fate of the AIADMK rebel faction in Tamil Nadu and close numbers enjoyed by governing TVK coalition, Congress MP Manickam Tagore said AIADMK won’t join the Vijay govt, and the mand Read More

PM Modi has handed sovereign India’s foreign policy to US, says Congress

New Delhi: With US Secretary of State Marco Rubio announcing that India has pledged to purchase goods worth $500 billion from the US over the next five years, Congress on Sunday alleged PM Modi has handed over sovereign India’s Read More

Sonali recalls being labelled ‘comic relief’ in Aamir’s Sarfarosh

Sonali Bendre opened up about her journey in films, the pressures of stardom, battling self-doubt, and how surviving cancer transformed her understanding of success. Read More

Luigi Mangione fangirl says she would kill her mother if she became a healthcare exec

A woman defended Luigi Mangione and sparked outrage after claiming she would kill her own mother if she became a healthcare executive like slain UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson. Read More

Infant deaths fall, but gap across states remains wide

India reduced Infant Mortality Rate (IMR), or the number of deaths per 1,000 live babies born, from 30 in 2019 to 24 in 2024, an annual average decline of about one point. Read More

Related Articles