Monday, May 18, 2026
29.1 C
New Delhi

Deadly border fighting breaks out between Pakistan and Afghanistan

Fresh deadly border clashes have broken out between Pakistan and Afghanistan’s Taliban forces, with both sides accusing each other of breaking a fragile ceasefire.

Residents fled the Afghan city of Spin Boldak overnight, which lies along the 1,600-mile (2,574 km) border the two countries share.

A medical source in the nearby city of Kandahar told BBC Pashto a local hospital had received the bodies of four people. Three injuries have been reported in Pakistan.

Sporadic fighting has repeatedly broken out between the two in recent months, while Afghanistan’s Taliban government has also accused Pakistan of carrying out air strikes inside the country.

Both sides have confirmed they exchanged fire overnight but each blamed the other for beginning the four hours of fighting.

Mosharraf Zaidi, a spokesperson for Pakistan’s Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, accused the Taliban of “unprovoked firing”.

A statement continued: “An immediate, befitting & intense response has been given by our armed forces. Pakistan remains fully alert & committed to ensuring its territorial integrity & the safety our citizens.”

Meanwhile, a Taliban spokesperson said Pakistan had “once again initiated attacks” and said it was forced to respond.

Footage from the area showed a large number of Afghans fleeing on foot and in vehicles, with people in neighbouring towns also leaving in fear of the renewed fighting spreading.

The overnight clashes came less than two months after both sides agreed to a ceasefire mediated by Qatar and Turkey.

It ended the worst fighting between Pakistan and the Taliban since the group returned to power in 2021, though tensions have remained high.

The government in Islamabad has long accused Afghanistan’s ruling Taliban of giving shelter to armed groups which carry out attacks in Pakistan.

The Taliban government in Afghanistan denies the accusation and has accused Pakistan of blaming others for their “own security failures”.

Last week delegations from both sides met in Saudi Arabia for a fourth round of negotiations on a wider peace settlement, but did not reach an agreement.

Sources familiar with the talks told BBC News that both sides had agreed to continue with the ceasefire.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls

Iranian media reports the US has not made concrete concessions in response to Tehran’s latest proposals. Read More

‘Dangerous escalation’: India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

NEW DELHI: Ministry of external affairs on Sunday expressed deep concern after Iranian strikes targeted the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Read More

Gucci takes over Times Square for cruise show as Kering eyes revival

By Reuters Published May 18, 2026 Gucci’s ⁠creative director Demna presented his first Cruise collection for the Italian luxury brand on Saturday night in New York, transforming Times Square into a runway as owner Kering seeks to r Read More

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Topics

Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls

Iranian media reports the US has not made concrete concessions in response to Tehran’s latest proposals. Read More

‘Dangerous escalation’: India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

NEW DELHI: Ministry of external affairs on Sunday expressed deep concern after Iranian strikes targeted the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Read More

Gucci takes over Times Square for cruise show as Kering eyes revival

By Reuters Published May 18, 2026 Gucci’s ⁠creative director Demna presented his first Cruise collection for the Italian luxury brand on Saturday night in New York, transforming Times Square into a runway as owner Kering seeks to r Read More

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Related Articles