Monday, August 17, 2026
29 C
New Delhi

Chinese woman convicted after ‘world’s biggest’ bitcoin seizure

Osmond ChiaBusiness reporter, Singapore and

Liv McMahonTechnology reporter

Metropolitan Police A mugshot of Zhimin Qian, pictured staring into the camera. She has curly hair and is dressed in a grey jumper.Metropolitan Police

A Chinese national has been convicted following an international fraud investigation which resulted in what’s believed to be the single largest cryptocurrency seizure in the world.

The Metropolitan Police says it recovered 61,000 bitcoin worth more than £5bn ($6.7bn) in current prices.

Zhimin Qian, also known as Yadi Zhang, pleaded guilty on Monday at Southwark Crown Court of illegally acquiring and possessing the cryptocurrency.

Between 2014 and 2017 she led a large-scale scam in China which involved cheating more than 128,000 victims and storing the stolen funds in bitcoin assets, the Met said in a statement.

It said the 47-year-old’s guilty plea followed a seven-year probe into a global money laundering web which began when it got a tipoff about the transfer of criminal assets.

Qian had been “evading justice” for five years up to her arrest, which required a complex investigation involving multiple jurisdictions, said Detective Sergeant Isabella Grotto, who led the Met’s investigation.

She fled China using false documents and entered the UK, where she attempted to launder the stolen money by buying property, said the Met.

“By pleading guilty today, Ms Zhang hopes to bring some comfort to investors who have waited since 2017 for compensation, and to reassure them that the significant rise in cryptocurrency values means there are more than sufficient funds available to repay their losses,” said Qian’s solicitor Roger Sahota, of Berkeley Square Solicitors.

But some reports have suggested the UK government will seek to retain the seized funds.

The BBC has approached the Treasury and the Home Office for a response.

Reforms to crime legislation under the previous Conservative government aimed to make it easier for the UK authorities to seize, freeze and recover crypto assets.

The changes would also allow some victims to apply for the release of their assets held in accounts.

‘The goddess of wealth’

Qian had help from a Chinese takeaway worker named Jian Wen, who was jailed for six years and eight months last year for her part in the criminal operation.

Wen, 44, laundered the proceeds from the scam and moved from living above a restaurant to a “multi-million pound rented house” in north London, said the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) earlier this year.

She also bought two properties in Dubai worth more than £500,000, the CPS said.

The Met said it seized more than £300m worth of bitcoin from Wen.

Crown Prosecution Service The large home in North London that Jian Wen moved into in 2017. The picture shows a three-storey house with an expansive driveway. A grey car is parked next to the house, which has multiple large windows.Crown Prosecution Service

Chinese media outlet Lifeweek reported in 2024 that investors, mostly between 50 and 75 years old, had poured “hundreds of thousands to tens of millions” of yuan into investments promoted by Qian.

Some of the victims – including business people, bank employees and members of the judiciary – were reportedly urged to invest with Qian’s scheme by friends and family.

The investors reportedly knew little about Qian, who was described as “the goddess of wealth”.

“Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are increasingly being used by organised criminals to disguise and transfer assets, so that fraudsters may enjoy the benefits of their criminal conduct,” said deputy chief Crown prosecutor, Robin Weyell.

“This case, involving the largest cryptocurrency seizure in the UK, illustrates the scale of criminal proceeds available to those fraudsters.”

Monday’s conviction marks the “culmination of years of dedicated investigation”, which has involved the police and Chinese law enforcement teams, said Will Lyne, the Met’s Head of Economic and Cybercrime Command.

Qian is being held in custody ahead of sentencing, which will take place after a trial involving others linked with the case. The date of her sentencing has yet to be fixed.

The BBC has contacted the Chinese embassy in the UK for comment.

A thin, grey banner promoting the News Daily newsletter. On the right, there is a graphic of an orange sphere with two concentric crescent shapes around it in a red-orange gradient, like a sound wave. The banner reads:

Get our flagship newsletter with all the headlines you need to start the day. Sign up here.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Not worthy of life’: Israel minister Ben-Gvir calls for killing ’30 to 40′ people daily in Gaza

Be -Gvi calls fo mo e Gaza killi gs Is aeli atio al secu ity mi iste Itama Be -Gvi , a lawmake i P ime Mi iste Be jami Neta yahu’s coalitio , publicly called fo the killi g of “30 to 40” people i Gaza each ight, i comme ts that s Read More

MG Hector Tomahawk Electric To Rival XEV 9S With Radical New Look

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom MG Hecto Tomahawk elect ic SUV u veils o August 26th. Lau ches as EV; plug-i hyb id optio to follow late . Featu es 69.2kWh batte y, 530km a ge, a d 201 bhp. Read More

Yash breaks silence on Toxic, Dhurandhar clash controversy: ‘Rs 100-200 crore kam hone se..’

Yash sta e ‘Toxic: A Fai y Tale fo G ow -Ups’ is fi ally eleasi g i ci emas afte much delay. Read More

Europe wildfires: 2 dead, 500 evacuated as twin blazes hit Greek island near Athens

Two people have died i fi es that b oke out simulta eously Su day o the isla d of Salamis ea Athe s, the local fi e depa tme t said. Read More

Share Markets Open The Week In Red Despite Asian Peers’ Rally: Sensex About 300 Points Down

I dia equity be chma ks bega Mo day’s sessio o a cautious ote despite a st o g pe fo ma ce ac oss seve al Asia ma kets, with i vesto s t acki g global cues, c ude oil p ices a d developme ts i West Asia. Read More

Topics

‘Not worthy of life’: Israel minister Ben-Gvir calls for killing ’30 to 40′ people daily in Gaza

Be -Gvi calls fo mo e Gaza killi gs Is aeli atio al secu ity mi iste Itama Be -Gvi , a lawmake i P ime Mi iste Be jami Neta yahu’s coalitio , publicly called fo the killi g of “30 to 40” people i Gaza each ight, i comme ts that s Read More

MG Hector Tomahawk Electric To Rival XEV 9S With Radical New Look

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom MG Hecto Tomahawk elect ic SUV u veils o August 26th. Lau ches as EV; plug-i hyb id optio to follow late . Featu es 69.2kWh batte y, 530km a ge, a d 201 bhp. Read More

Yash breaks silence on Toxic, Dhurandhar clash controversy: ‘Rs 100-200 crore kam hone se..’

Yash sta e ‘Toxic: A Fai y Tale fo G ow -Ups’ is fi ally eleasi g i ci emas afte much delay. Read More

Europe wildfires: 2 dead, 500 evacuated as twin blazes hit Greek island near Athens

Two people have died i fi es that b oke out simulta eously Su day o the isla d of Salamis ea Athe s, the local fi e depa tme t said. Read More

Share Markets Open The Week In Red Despite Asian Peers’ Rally: Sensex About 300 Points Down

I dia equity be chma ks bega Mo day’s sessio o a cautious ote despite a st o g pe fo ma ce ac oss seve al Asia ma kets, with i vesto s t acki g global cues, c ude oil p ices a d developme ts i West Asia. Read More

‘Heroes’ star Hayden Panettiere passes away 36: Reps confirm

Act ess Hayde Pa ettie e, best k ow fo he oles i ‘He oes’ has sadly passed away. She was 36. Read More

Kalyani on ‘Pralay’: ‘Time to make a film we’re gonna be proud of’

As the much-a ticipated film ‘P alay’ we t o floo s, act ess Kalya i P iyada sha sha ed he exciteme t about the upcomi g p oject whcih will see he sta i g opposite Ra vee Si gh i the lead. Read More

Web Series On Vinod Kambli’s Life: Who Will Play Cricket Legend?

The co t asti g jou eys of Sachi Te dulka a d Vi od Kambli have lo g bee discussed i I dia c icket. Read More

Related Articles