Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Child among three killed in overnight attack on Kyiv

Ukraine has come under heavy Russian bombardment overnight, with a child among three people killed in Kyiv, Ukrainian officials said early on Thursday.

Mayor Vitali Klitschko said the attack on Ukraine’s capital was “massive” with military officials confirming at least 24 people had been injured.

A five storey-building collapsed in the Darnytski district and a fire had also been reported in a high-rise residential building in the neighbouring Dnipro district, the mayor added.

The wave of missiles comes after more than 100,000 Ukrainian homes were left without power by the latest Russian drone attacks on energy infrastructure, Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Wednesday.

In a post on Telegram, Tymur Tkachenko, the head of Kyiv’s military administration, said the child who was killed was a 14-year-old girl. At least five children had been injured in the latest drone strikes.

He noted more than 20 districts had been targeted, with many buildings including a kindergarten catching on fire.

Three and a half years after Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, fighting on the ground shows no sign of abating.

The latest international effort to achieve a ceasefire in Ukraine was launched by US President Donald Trump earlier this month. He met his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin in Alaska and Zelensky with European leaders in Washington.

Trump has been pushing for a Putin-Zelensky summit. Ukraine’s president has backed the move, but he has sought security guarantees from Western allies to prevent any future Russian attack in the event of a peace deal.

On Tuesday, Zelensky met the head of Britain’s armed forces, Adm Sir Tony Radakin, in Kyiv, where they discussed efforts to end the war.

US Special Envoy Steve Witkoff has said he would meet Ukrainian representatives in New York this week, telling Fox News “we talk to the Russians every day”.

The EU’s foreign policy chief, Kaja Kallas, has warned that handing over Ukrainian territory to Russia as part of a peace deal was a “trap”.

Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

Topics

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

Related Articles