Friday, May 22, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Alleged Bondi gunmen threw ‘tennis ball bomb’, new documents say

The gunmen who allegedly carried out a deadly attack on a Jewish festival at Bondi Beach last week threw four undetonated explosives at the start of the attack, including a “tennis ball bomb”, according to newly released documents.

Naveed Akram, 24, has been charged with dozens of offences including 15 counts of murder over the attack at a Hanukkah celebration on 14 December. Akram, who was shot by police during the attack, was released from hospital on Monday and transferred to a prison.

The second alleged gunman, his father Sajid Akram, was shot dead.

The pair recorded a video manifesto in October in which they sit in front of the Islamic State group flag, according to police documents.

The Akrams “meticulously planned this terrorist attack for many months”, police alleged. Videos found on Naveed’s phone showed the pair were motivated by “violent extremist ideology” linked to the Islamic State group.

They include one video in which the pair sit in front of an Islamic State flag and detail their motivation for the Bondi attack and condemn “the acts of ‘Zionists'”, police alleged. Naveed also appears to recite a passage from the Quran in Arabic in the video, police alleged.

Another video allegedly showed the pair conducting firearms training in what police believe to be rural New South Wales in October. “The Accused and his father are seen throughout the video firing shotguns and moving in a tactical manner,” police alleged.

A temporary suppression order had been made on the fact sheet last week to protect the identities of the survivors of the attack. The order was revoked on Monday after an application to the New South Wales Local Court by media companies although the names of most survivors were redacted.

CCTV recorded at Bondi beach two days ahead of the attack also showed the Akrams driving to the area and carrying out reconnaissance, police alleged.

“The Accused and his father, S Akram, are seen to exit the vehicle and walk along the footbridge, being the same position where they attended two days later and shot at members of the public,” police wrote.

CCTV also captured the pair leaving rented accommodation in the Sydney suburb of Campsie hours before the attack “carrying long and bulky items wrapped in blankets”, police alleged.

Police said the items, which were placed in a car, were three firearms, home-made improvised explosive devices including the “tennis ball bomb” and two Islamic State flags.

They later drove to Bondi where they parked and placed the flags on the inside of the front and rear windows, police alleged. After removing the firearms and homemade bombs from the car, they walked towards the footbridge from where they carried out their attack, police alleged.

Three homemade pipe bombs and the tennis ball bomb were thrown as they approached the bridge, police alleged, but did not explode although they were assessed as “viable”. A fifth explosive device was later found in their vehicle, police had previously said.

Naveed Akram, who was shot in the abdomen and critically injured by police, did not appear at Monday’s court appearing.

Go to Source

Hot this week

India successfully test-fires Agni-1 ballistic missile off Odisha coast

Agni-1 is a single-stage, solid-fuelled, road-mobile short-range ballistic missile with a strike range of 700–900 km. Read More

‘West wants to impose homosexuality on the rest of the world: Senegal PM’s makes shocking claim

Senegal’s government has defended its tougher anti-LGBTQ legislation amid growing criticism from international rights groups and activists, with Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko accusing Western countries of trying to “impose” Read More

Beat The Heatwave! 10 Frozen Treats With A Healthy Twist

Beat the heat with these refreshing, guilt-free frozen delights. These nutritious treats swap processed sugars for wholesome, vibrant, cooling ingredients. Read More

Dept of Space clears 2 new space hubs in Gujarat, TN to build rockets, payloads, launch ecosystem

Representational image In a bid to expand the space infrastructure in the country amid growing global competition in the sector, the Department of Space has approved setting up of common technical facilities (CTFs) in Gujarat and T Read More

‘With Your Cooperation…’: CM Samrat Choudhary Backs Vedanta Founder’s Call For Bihar Cricket Team

CM Samrat Choudhary vows “mission” mode support as Agarwal offers “unconditional” help to build Bihar cricket infrastructure. Read More

Topics

India successfully test-fires Agni-1 ballistic missile off Odisha coast

Agni-1 is a single-stage, solid-fuelled, road-mobile short-range ballistic missile with a strike range of 700–900 km. Read More

‘West wants to impose homosexuality on the rest of the world: Senegal PM’s makes shocking claim

Senegal’s government has defended its tougher anti-LGBTQ legislation amid growing criticism from international rights groups and activists, with Prime Minister Ousmane Sonko accusing Western countries of trying to “impose” Read More

Beat The Heatwave! 10 Frozen Treats With A Healthy Twist

Beat the heat with these refreshing, guilt-free frozen delights. These nutritious treats swap processed sugars for wholesome, vibrant, cooling ingredients. Read More

Dept of Space clears 2 new space hubs in Gujarat, TN to build rockets, payloads, launch ecosystem

Representational image In a bid to expand the space infrastructure in the country amid growing global competition in the sector, the Department of Space has approved setting up of common technical facilities (CTFs) in Gujarat and T Read More

‘With Your Cooperation…’: CM Samrat Choudhary Backs Vedanta Founder’s Call For Bihar Cricket Team

CM Samrat Choudhary vows “mission” mode support as Agarwal offers “unconditional” help to build Bihar cricket infrastructure. Read More

India Successfully Test-Fires ‘Agni-1’ Short-Range Ballistic Missile In Odisha

The test was carried out under the aegis of the Strategic Forces Command, said the Ministry of Defence. Read More

TCS Nashik Row: Cops File 1500-Page Chargesheet Against 4, Cite Proof Of Forced Religious Conversion

NCW flags PoSH lapses at TCS Nashik, orders all 127 TCS units to form separate Internal Committees and improve safeguards, as Nashik Police file a charge sheet against four accused Go to Source Read More

Jason Lewis makes comeback to social media

Over three years ago, actor Jason Lewis, who was best known for his work in ‘Sex and the City’, ‘If There Be Thorns’, and ‘Seeds of Yesterday’, stepped away from the public eye. Read More

Related Articles