Monday, February 16, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

No charge over Bob Vylan IDF chants at Glastonbury

Getty Images A man performing on stage during a Bob Vylan set.  He is wearing a white polo shirt and has one arm in the air while the other holds a microphone to his lips. He has a dark beard and dreadlocks and tattoos on both his arms.Getty Images

An investigation by Avon and Somerset Police into chants made during a Bob Vylan performance at Glastonbury has concluded no further action will be taken.

“We have concluded, after reviewing all the evidence, that it does not meet the criminal threshold outlined by the CPS for any person to be prosecuted,” the force said in a statement.

“No further action will be taken on the basis there is insufficient evidential for there to be a realistic prospect of conviction.”

The investigation related to chants of “death, death to the IDF [Israel Defence Forces]” and other comments made during the band’s performance on the West Holts Stage, which was also broadcast via a live stream on the BBC iPlayer.

As part of their enquiries, police said they conducted “a voluntary police interview under caution” with a man in his mid 30s in November.

Officers said they also spoke to “approximately 200” members of the public to see if they had been the victim of a criminal offence.

Avon and Somerset Police said in a stateent it had also sought legal precedents from other UK police forces that have dealt with similar incidents and advice from the National Police Chiefs’ Council hate crime leads, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) and “an independent barrister”.

“We sought specific consideration around the words stated, in terms of the intent behind them, the wider context of how people heard what was said, case law and anything else potentially relevant, including freedom of speech,” the statement continued.

‘Jewish communities consulted’

“Consistently the advice we have received has highlighted fundamental evidential difficulties that cannot be ignored,” police said.

“We believe it is right this matter was comprehensively investigated, every potential criminal offence was thoroughly considered, and we sought all the advice we could to ensure we made an informed decision.”

“We have proactively engaged with a number of groups, particularly among our Jewish communities, since this incident and provided updates to them throughout.”

Police confirmed that the man that was interviewed as part of their investigation has already been informed of the outcome.

It comes after the Met Police said it was closing its investigation into a London performance, following advice from the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS).

More on this story
Related Internet links

Go to Source

Hot this week

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Topics

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Norwegian scientist suffers brain damage after testing secret microwave device on himself to disprove ‘Havana Syndrome’: Report

A scientist in Norway gave himself brain damage after he tested a secret weapon on himself to disprove the existence of Havana Syndrome, it emerged. Read More

UK resident Gurpreet Randhawa jailed for assaulting minors, threatened victims into sending indecent images

A 21‑year‑old man from Wolverhampton, UK has been jailed for 18 years for a series of sex offences against children involving two 15‑year‑old girls and a 12‑year‑old girl, police said. Read More

Three US-Sanctioned Tankers Seized Off Mumbai Coast This Month: Report

Indian authorities seized three ships near Mumbai, boosting maritime surveillance. Two vessels linked to Iran had complex ownership and identity changes. Read More

Related Articles