Sunday, February 22, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Jimmy Kimmel says he never intended to make light of Charlie Kirk killing in tearful return

An emotional Jimmy Kimmel said “it was never my intention to make light of the murder of a young man” in his first late night show after a brief suspension following comments he made about the death of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Tuesday was the first episode hosted by the comedian since his show was pulled off air last week.

Kimmel also defended free speech, compared Federal Communications Commission (FCC) chair Brendan Carr to a mob boss, and poked fun at President Donald Trump’s appearance at the UN – including an escalator mishap.

Tuesday’s episode was not viewable in many US TV markets due to affiliate pushback, but was available on Disney’s streaming service Hulu + Live TV.

Dozens of local TV stations in the US run by affiliates Nexstar and Sinclair said they would continue to replace Jimmy Kimmel Live! with alternate programming for now.

The head of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) praised their decision in a post on X on Tuesday.

“We need to keep empowering local TV stations to serve their communities of license,” said Carr, a Trump appointee, who last week threatened action against Disney and ABC, the companies that produce and air Kimmel’s show.

In his first public remarks since the row, Kimmel said he had not wanted to blame any specific group for Kirk’s murder, and praised Erika Kirk for forgiving her husband’s alleged killer at a weekend memorial service.

“It was a selfless act of grace… that touched me deeply,” Kimmel said.

Kimmel was critical of Carr, who was one of the first to call for his suspension, and of Trump for calling for the axing of his fellow late-night hosts – all who are frequent Trump critics as they riff on the day’s biggest news stories.

“Our leader celebrates people losing their livelihoods because he can’t take a joke,” Kimmel said, adding that Trump openly rooting for people to lose their jobs was “un-American” and “dangerous”.

Kimmel also pretended to open a statement written for him to read aloud by Disney, before reading out the words: “How to reactivate your Disney+ subscription”.

There have been calls to cancel streaming subscriptions over Kimmel’s brief ouster.

About an hour before showtime, Trump said on his social media platform that he could not believe that ABC had reinstated Kimmel, saying the White House was told the show was cancelled.

“Something happened between then and now because his audience is GONE, and his ‘talent’ was never there,” Trump wrote.

Trump also threatened to “test ABC out on this”.

Kimmel’s Tuesday night guests were Twisters and Chad Powers actor Glen Powell and musical guest Sarah McLachlan.

The comedian’s show was pulled after his 15 September monologue about the shooting of Kirk caused uproar.

He said that Trump and his allies were “desperately trying to characterise this kid who murdered Charlie Kirk as anything other than one of them” and trying to “score political points from it”.

He also likened Trump’s reaction to the influencer’s murder to “how a four-year-old mourns a goldfish”.

The jokes raised the ire of Carr, who said Kimmel was “appearing to directly mislead the American public” with his comments about Kirk’s killer.

The FCC regulates radio, TV and satellite airwaves, giving it power over a range of matters, including mergers and decency complaints.

His remarks, coupled with concerns from local broadcasters that run ABC affiliates, prompted the network to “indefinitely” suspend Kimmel’s show.

The show’s suspension prompted strong backlash from lawmakers, labour unions, and free speech proponents. Celebrity campaigns and boycotts targeted Disney, ABC’s parent company.

Kimmel was also backed by his colleagues in late night, including CBS host Stephen Colbert – whose show will end in May – Jon Stewart and Seth Meyers.

On Monday, Disney announced it would bring back the show after “having thoughtful conversations with Jimmy”.

Still, Nexstar, one of the biggest owners of TV stations in the US, said on Tuesday that it would continue to pre-empt Kimmel’s show “pending assurance that all parties are committed to fostering an environment of respectful, constructive dialogue in the markets we serve”.

The media company is currently trying to close a $6.2bn (£4.86bn) deal to acquire its rival Tegna that needs FCC approval.

Sinclair, the largest ABC affiliate group in the US, also said it would air alternate programming.

Nexstar and Sinclair together control more than 20% of ABC’s affiliated television stations, according to the New York Times.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Zelensky tells BBC Putin has started WW3 and must be stopped

“If this is a condition for ending the war, let’s do it. I said, ‘honestly, you constantly raise the issue of elections’. Read More

Rajaji statue to replace Lutyens’ at Prez house that he designed

NEW DELHI: Architect of New Delhi Edwin Lutyens’ legacy in independent India came to symbolise a rarefied milieu inhabited by those with an enviable mix of power, pedigree and influence. Read More

Hamnet’s Jessie Buckley and I Swear’s Robert Aramayo win big at the Baftas

Performances on the night included the K-Pop Demon Hunters trio singing Golden, while Jessie Ware sang a moving rendition of Barbra Streisand’s The Way We Were to accompany the In Memoriam segment, which paid tribute to those we have lost from Read More

$12.8 million jackpot in limbo after Arizona store worker buys winning ticket – Court to decide who gets prize

A worker at a convenience store in Arizona is in legal trouble after buying a lottery ticket worth $12.8 million from the store where he worked. Read More

Bangladesh Army Reshuffle Aims To Stabilise New Regime As BNP-Linked Officers Take Key Roles

Sources say the changes aim to stabilise the command structure of the Bangladesh Army, strengthen political-military coordination and refocus the army on core defence roles. Read More

Topics

Zelensky tells BBC Putin has started WW3 and must be stopped

“If this is a condition for ending the war, let’s do it. I said, ‘honestly, you constantly raise the issue of elections’. Read More

Rajaji statue to replace Lutyens’ at Prez house that he designed

NEW DELHI: Architect of New Delhi Edwin Lutyens’ legacy in independent India came to symbolise a rarefied milieu inhabited by those with an enviable mix of power, pedigree and influence. Read More

Hamnet’s Jessie Buckley and I Swear’s Robert Aramayo win big at the Baftas

Performances on the night included the K-Pop Demon Hunters trio singing Golden, while Jessie Ware sang a moving rendition of Barbra Streisand’s The Way We Were to accompany the In Memoriam segment, which paid tribute to those we have lost from Read More

$12.8 million jackpot in limbo after Arizona store worker buys winning ticket – Court to decide who gets prize

A worker at a convenience store in Arizona is in legal trouble after buying a lottery ticket worth $12.8 million from the store where he worked. Read More

Bangladesh Army Reshuffle Aims To Stabilise New Regime As BNP-Linked Officers Take Key Roles

Sources say the changes aim to stabilise the command structure of the Bangladesh Army, strengthen political-military coordination and refocus the army on core defence roles. Read More

Cops bust module linked to LeT, foil plot to strike Delhi; 7 Bangladeshis with Aadhaar IDs among 8 arrested

NEW DELHI: In a multi-state counter-terror operation, the Delhi Police special cell busted a terror module comprising radicalised individuals affiliated with the terror outfit Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT). Read More

Gay asylum-seeker says US deported her to country where being homosexual is illegal: ‘What was done to me was…’

A Moroccan woman who fled her home after facing violence for her sexuality says she was deported from the United States to a country where being gay is also a crime, despite having legal protection from a US judge. Read More

Report on Davos deals soon, 15 bills to be passed in House: CM

Mumbai: CM Devendra Fadnavis on Sunday said the state govt will present a detailed report on the Rs 30-lakh crore MoUs signed at World Economic Forum in Davos last month as well as the status of past deals. Read More

Related Articles