Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Renault pins India revival hopes on new-generation Duster



<p>Renault Duster</p>
<p>“/><figcaption class= Renault Duster

French automaker Renault is betting on the strong brand recall of the Duster SUV to revive its India business, as it pivots towards more premium models in one of the world’s fastest-growing car markets.

The company plans to reintroduce the Duster later this month, marking the return of a nameplate that once enjoyed stronger recognition in India than the Renault brand itself.

Under a revamped strategy led by new chief executive Francois Provost, Renault will move away from entry-level positioning and instead target India’s expanding middle class and SUV buyers. The automaker’s market share in India has fallen to below 1 per cent from a peak of around 4 per cent nearly a decade ago.

Republic Day debut for new Duster
Renault is set to unveil a new-generation Duster on January 26, India’s Republic Day, according to company executives and sources. The SUV has been re-engineered to meet current safety and emission regulations and updated to align with evolving consumer preferences.

The Duster launch will be followed by a larger SUV, similar in size to the Dacia Bigster, and an electric vehicle, people familiar with the plans said. Sales of the Duster are expected to begin in February, with a hybrid powertrain offered for the first time in India.

“Previously, our strategy was to offer a car to all Indians. That is not my strategy,” Provost said in an interview with news agency Reuters.

“I am targeting the middle class, which is growing in India and wants competitively priced but attractive cars,” he added.

Shift towards premium models
Renault currently sells the Kwid, Kiger and Triber in India and plans to at least double its line-up over time. The renewed focus on SUVs reflects structural changes in the Indian passenger vehicle market, where SUVs now account for more than half of total sales, compared with about 10 per cent when the Duster was first launched in 2012.

The original Duster was Renault’s breakout model in India, helping it reach a market share of around 4 per cent by 2016. However, the company withdrew the SUV nearly five years ago, citing the high cost of upgrading it to meet stricter emission norms.

Renault now owns 100 per cent of its manufacturing facility in southern India, which has an annual capacity of 500,000 vehicles. The plant will continue producing cars for Nissan until 2032, while Renault evaluates export opportunities from India.

The company also plans to increase sourcing of components from India for vehicles built in other markets, particularly South America, aligning with strategies adopted by rivals such as Stellantis, Volkswagen and Honda.

India critical to global growth
Renault’s renewed push in India is part of a broader effort to reduce its dependence on Europe, which currently accounts for nearly 70 per cent of its global sales and is facing slower growth and intensifying competition, including from Chinese manufacturers.

India’s passenger vehicle market is projected to reach around 6 million units by 2030, up 36 per cent from 2025, driven largely by demand for SUVs and premium vehicles, according to S&P Global Mobility.

Renault expects annual Duster production in India to reach 130,000–140,000 units, potentially more than tripling its current sales. Provost said even a modest share of the Indian market could be transformational.

“I would be delighted to achieve 5 per cent of a 6 million car market,” he said.

  • Published On Jan 23, 2026 at 02:21 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

Topics

YouTube star Danny Go mourns heartbreaking loss of 14-year-old son Isaac

Image Via Instagram Danny Go has broken some very sad news to his fans because he recently revealed that his 14-year-old son Isaac passed away after suffering from cancer for quite some time now. Read More

After benches differ on UAPA bail, SC refers question to larger bench

NEW DELHI: After two benches of the Supreme Court differed over whether delay in trial can justify bail for those accused under UAPA, the apex court has now referred the issue to a large bench for authoritative pronouncement. Read More

Hizbul & Al Badr chiefs join ISI men at burial of Pulwama mastermind Hamza Burhan in Pakistan

NEW DELHI: Slain terror commander Hamza Burhan was buried in Rawalpindi on Friday morning in the presence of several top terror chiefs including Hizbul chief Syed Salahuddin and Al Badr head Zameen Bakht besides ISI officials, visuals Read More

Smart border project with Pak, B’desh to ensure demography change attempt is defeated: Amit Shah

New Delhi: Declaring the Centre’s resolve to put an end to infiltration from across the eastern border, which it sees as a design to introduce unnatural demographic changes, Union home minister Amit Shah on Friday asked BSF to t Read More

Bobby Deol hid Aashram from his family over intimate scenes

Bobby Deol recently opened up about the struggles, insecurities, and comeback phase of his career while speaking to Shekhar Suman on his chat show. Read More

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

Related Articles