Tuesday, May 19, 2026
44.1 C
New Delhi

Piyush Goyal Says India-US Trade Talks Moving Forward, But Sensitive Issues Remain

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal on Wednesday indicated that talks on the India-US Bilateral Trade Agreement are “going on very well”, but said that there are “many sensitive and serious issues” and it would take time.

“Talks are going on very well. There are many sensitive issues, many serious issues, so naturally, it takes some time,” Minister Goyal told ANI, when asked to provide an update on India-US trade talks.

Recently, a government official had asserted that India and the US were “very near” to finalising the first tranche of the ambitious Bilateral Trade Agreement (BTA).

The official affirmed that both sides are converging on most of the issues and negotiators of both the countries are sorting out “language of the agreement”. Talks are progressing well on the agreement and no new issues are acting as hurdle in the negotiations, he further said, adding that both parties are hopeful of the deadline.

On October 23, Thursday, negotiators of both countries had a virtual discussion. So far, five rounds of talks have been completed since March for the first phase of the bilateral trade agreement, initially decided to be inked by the “fall of 2025.”

The bilateral trade agreement, formally proposed in February following directives from leaders of both countries, aims to more than double trade volumes from the current USD 191 billion to USD 500 billion by 2030.

Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal was in the United States in September, leading high-level trade negotiations as both nations work toward concluding a comprehensive bilateral trade agreement. Goyal was accompanied by a delegation of senior ministry officials including Special Secretary and India’s Chief Negotiator Rajesh Agrawal.

In mid-September, a team of United States officials led by Assistant US Trade Representative for South and Central Asia, Brendan Lynch, had “positive and forward-looking” discussions with the officials from India’s Department of Commerce in New Delhi, and it was decided to intensify efforts to achieve early conclusion of a mutually beneficial trade agreement.

Over the past few months, India and the US have been actively negotiating for the interim trade deal. Initially, US President Donald Trump announced 25 per cent tariffs on Indian goods that came into effect on August 1, even as there were hopes of an interim India-US trade deal that would have otherwise helped avoid elevated tariffs.

A few days later, he imposed another 25 per cent tariff, taking the total to 50 per cent, citing India’s continued imports of Russian oil. The 50 per cent tariffs came into effect on August 27. US President Donald Trump had imposed reciprocal tariffs on dozens of countries with which the US has a trade deficit. 

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

US clears $428 million military support package for India’s Apache helicopters and M777 Howitzers

The United States has approved two major military support deals for India worth a combined $428 million, further strengthening defence ties between the two countries amid growing strategic cooperation. Read More

Why Cruise Tourism Isn’t Slowing Down Despite Hantavirus And Norovirus Scares

Can anything stop the global obsession with cruise vacations? Read More

Keralam’s new UDF Govt forms expert panel to prepare White Paper on State’s finances

Photo credit: ANI THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government on Tuesday announced the formation of a special committee to prepare a White Paper on Keralam’s financial condition. Read More

Twisha Sharma ‘dowry’ death case: Family moves court to seek second postmortem, alleges pre-death injuries

Twisha Sharma The family of Twisha Sharma, a 33-year-old woman from Noida who died under suspicious circumstances in Bhopal last week, has sought a fresh postmortem examination through a local court, according to their lawyer on Tue Read More

Lookout Notice Issued Against Twisha Sharma’s Husband, Police Begins Passport Cancellation Process

Police have registered a case against her husband Samarth Singh and mother-in-law Giribala Singh. Read More

Topics

US clears $428 million military support package for India’s Apache helicopters and M777 Howitzers

The United States has approved two major military support deals for India worth a combined $428 million, further strengthening defence ties between the two countries amid growing strategic cooperation. Read More

Keralam’s new UDF Govt forms expert panel to prepare White Paper on State’s finances

Photo credit: ANI THIRUVANANTHAPURAM: The Congress-led United Democratic Front (UDF) government on Tuesday announced the formation of a special committee to prepare a White Paper on Keralam’s financial condition. Read More

Twisha Sharma ‘dowry’ death case: Family moves court to seek second postmortem, alleges pre-death injuries

Twisha Sharma The family of Twisha Sharma, a 33-year-old woman from Noida who died under suspicious circumstances in Bhopal last week, has sought a fresh postmortem examination through a local court, according to their lawyer on Tue Read More

Lookout Notice Issued Against Twisha Sharma’s Husband, Police Begins Passport Cancellation Process

Police have registered a case against her husband Samarth Singh and mother-in-law Giribala Singh. Read More

‘There Is No One To Help Us’: Twisha Sharma’s Family Moves Court Seeking Second Autopsy

Family of Twisha Sharma seeks fresh post mortem and transfer of probe to Delhi, alleges influential accused manipulated investigation and judicial process in Bhopal death case Go to Source Read More

‘Re-NEET Must Be Foolproof’: Dharmendra Pradhan Reviews Exam Preparations After Leak

Dharmendra Pradhan reviews NEET UG re-exam plans, vows strict security, transparency, fee refunds and better facilities for students ahead of June 21 test. Read More

BJP To Launch Mega National Outreach Campaign With ’12 Years, 12 Achievements’ Report Card Of Modi Govt

Designed to take the administration’s governance record directly to the citizens, the month-long outreach campaign will be held from June 9 to July 9 Go to Source Read More

Related Articles