Monday, February 16, 2026
19.1 C
New Delhi

Americans to get free entry to parks on Trump’s birthday

The US National Park Service (NPS) is removing Martin Luther King Jr Day and Juneteenth from its list of fee-free entrance days.

The move is part of President Donald Trump’s “modernisation” of the park service, which, beginning in 2026, also includes changing the parks’ cost structure to favour American citizens over foreign visitors, following a July executive order from Trump.

In addition to removing the two holidays that celebrate civil rights leader MLK Jr and the end of slavery in the US, the agency is adding Flag Day, which is also Trump’s birthday, as a “patriotic” fee-free day.

People who are not US citizens will still have to pay fees on the fee-free dates, the NPS said.

For the 2026 calendar year, US residents will be granted free access to national parks on President’s Day, Memorial Day, Flag Day/President Trump’s birthday, Independence Day weekend, 110th Birthday of the National Park Service, Constitution Day, Theodore Roosevelt’s birthday and Veteran’s Day.

Previously, Martin Luther King Jr Day and Juneteenth were both deemed fee-free entry days by the Biden administration.

Under the Trump administration’s new rules, US residents will continue to pay $80 (£60) for an annual park service pass.

The Department of the Interior, which oversees the park service, announced last month that the annual pass will cost non-residents $250, and those without the pass will pay $100 per person, in addition to the standard entrance fee, at 11 of the most visited parks.

“President Trump’s leadership always puts American families first,” said Secretary of the Interior Doug Burgum.

“These policies ensure that US taxpayers, who already support the National Park System, continue to enjoy affordable access, while international visitors contribute their fair share to maintaining and improving our parks for future generations,” Burgum’s statement continued.

In May, the department estimated in its budget proposal for 2026 fiscal year that surcharges for foreign visitors would rake in more than $90 million per year.

This isn’t the first time the Trump administration has targeted Juneteenth and MLK Jr Day.

On his first day in office this year, Trump issued an executive order banning diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) programmes from federal agencies, which led multiple agencies to bar celebrations of holidays seen as DEI-related, including MLK Jr Day and Juneteenth. However, the two dates remain national holidays.

In June, the Trump administration held a military parade in Washington DC to celebrate the US Army’s 250th anniversary, which also happened to fall on both Flag Day and Trump’s birthday.

The BBC has contacted the White House for comment.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Topics

Were hundreds of US officials attacked in Cuba? A Norwegian scientist’s experiment revives the Havana syndrome mystery

After decades of frozen diplomacy and political hostility, the United States and Cuba cautiously turned a page. Under US President Barack Obama, diplomatic ties were restored and the US Embassy in Havana reopened. Read More

Siddaramaiah camp to take 27 MLAs abroad ‘to counter DKS push for CLP meeting’

DK Shivakumar (left) and Siddaramaiah BENGALURU: A foreign tour by a bloc of Congress legislators aligned with CM Siddaramaiah has injected volatility into Karnataka politics, sharpening a power struggle with deputy CM DK Shivakum Read More

Navy creates MILAN village in Vizag to welcome naval delegates from 70 countries

Milan village As the country gears up to host the mega International Fleet Review (IFR) and subsequent MILAN Exercise, the Indian Navy has created a MILAN village in the coastal city of Visakhapatnam for the incoming delegates and Read More

Indian coastal authorities ‘seize’ 3 US-sanctioned oil tankers linked to Iran

Photo: File photo of oil vessel Asphalt Star NEW DELHI: Indian coastal authorities reportedly “seized three US-sanctioned tanker ships linked to Iran” earlier this month, a source informed TOI on Monday. Read More

Ameesha Patel breaks silence on cheque bounce case

Ameesha Patel has broken her silence after a Moradabad court issued a non-bailable warrant against her in connection with a 2017 event dispute. Read More

Norwegian scientist suffers brain damage after testing secret microwave device on himself to disprove ‘Havana Syndrome’: Report

A scientist in Norway gave himself brain damage after he tested a secret weapon on himself to disprove the existence of Havana Syndrome, it emerged. Read More

UK resident Gurpreet Randhawa jailed for assaulting minors, threatened victims into sending indecent images

A 21‑year‑old man from Wolverhampton, UK has been jailed for 18 years for a series of sex offences against children involving two 15‑year‑old girls and a 12‑year‑old girl, police said. Read More

Three US-Sanctioned Tankers Seized Off Mumbai Coast This Month: Report

Indian authorities seized three ships near Mumbai, boosting maritime surveillance. Two vessels linked to Iran had complex ownership and identity changes. Read More

Related Articles