Sunday, November 30, 2025
18.1 C
New Delhi

Government Of India’s New Rule Will Change How WhatsApp Works-ALL You Need To Know About

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

The Government of India has issued a significant new directive that will change how users access major messaging apps including WhatsApp, Telegram, Signal, Arattai, Snapchat, Sharechat, Jiochat and Josh. The Centre has ordered that these app-based communication services must remain continuously linked to the user’s active SIM card. This means messaging apps will only function if the same, active SIM associated with the registered mobile number is present in the device. The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) issued the notification on November 28 and these directions have come into force with immediate effect.

Why Has The Directive Been Issued?

According to the central government, the order addresses security risks posed by users running messaging apps on devices without the SIM card that is tied to the account. Issuing the order, the DoT stated that some app-based communication services allow users to consume services without the underlying SIM being present in the device where the app is running. The department noted: “…and this feature is posing a challenge to telecom cyber security as it is being misused from outside the country to commit cyber-frauds.”

The DoT said these new instructions are necessary to prevent the misuse of telecommunication identifiers and to safeguard the integrity of the telecom ecosystem. The department asserted that the directions are essential to protect telecom infrastructure and reduce cyber-fraud risks targeting Indian mobile numbers.

What Are The Compliance Requirements?

Continuous SIM linkage:Within 90 days of the instructions’ issuance, all Telecommunication Identifier User Entities (TIUEs) providing app-based communication services must ensure that the service is continuously linked to the active SIM card installed in the user’s device. This will make it impossible to use the app without that specific, active SIM.

Web-based access restrictions:Within the same 90-day period, web-based versions of mobile apps must automatically log users out at least once every six hours. Users will then have to sign in again by re-linking the device using a QR code.

The DoT has asked all providers offering app-based communication services in the country to submit compliance reports within 120 days from the date of issue. The directions remain in force until the department withdraws or amends them. Failure to meet the new norms will attract action under the Telecommunications Act, 2023, the Telecom Cyber Security Rules, and other applicable laws.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Goa resort owner hits back at Nepomniachtchi over bad food claims during World Cup: ‘There are negative people…’

Anup Shah, the owner of Resort Rio in Goa, responded to Russian GM Ian Nepomniachtchi’s claims of bad food and facilities being the reason for his second-round exit from the FIDE World Cup earlier this month. Read More

Stockton mass shooting: Were rappers MBNel, Fly Boy Doughy the real targets?

Law enforcement officials described the shooting as a “potentially targeted assault,” though the motive remains unclear Go to Source Read More

Zelenskyy appoints former US envoy Markarova as adviser for Ukraine’s reconstruction and investment drive

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that he was naming Ukraine’s former ambassador to the US Oksana Markarova, as his new adviser on reconstruction and investment. Read More

‘Closing Airspace Violates International Law’: Venezuela Slams America’s ‘Colonialist Threat’

Donald Trump declared Venezuelan airspace closed, prompting Venezuela to call it a colonialist threat and violation of international law amid rising US military presence. Read More

Evening news wrap: Pak furious as UN questions 27th amendment; IAF launches big rescue op in Sri Lanka & more

Evening news wrap, Nov 30 Catch up on today’s key developments across politics, sports, business, and major global events. Read More

Topics

Goa resort owner hits back at Nepomniachtchi over bad food claims during World Cup: ‘There are negative people…’

Anup Shah, the owner of Resort Rio in Goa, responded to Russian GM Ian Nepomniachtchi’s claims of bad food and facilities being the reason for his second-round exit from the FIDE World Cup earlier this month. Read More

Stockton mass shooting: Were rappers MBNel, Fly Boy Doughy the real targets?

Law enforcement officials described the shooting as a “potentially targeted assault,” though the motive remains unclear Go to Source Read More

Zelenskyy appoints former US envoy Markarova as adviser for Ukraine’s reconstruction and investment drive

President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Sunday that he was naming Ukraine’s former ambassador to the US Oksana Markarova, as his new adviser on reconstruction and investment. Read More

‘Closing Airspace Violates International Law’: Venezuela Slams America’s ‘Colonialist Threat’

Donald Trump declared Venezuelan airspace closed, prompting Venezuela to call it a colonialist threat and violation of international law amid rising US military presence. Read More

Evening news wrap: Pak furious as UN questions 27th amendment; IAF launches big rescue op in Sri Lanka & more

Evening news wrap, Nov 30 Catch up on today’s key developments across politics, sports, business, and major global events. Read More

Tamil Nadu: Two buses collide head-on; at least 7 dead

The TOI News Desk comprises a dedicated and tireless team of journalists who operate around the clock to deliver the most current and comprehensive news and updates to the readers of The Times of India worldwide. Read More

Cancer Daily Horoscope (December 1, 2025): Signs Point To Emotional Balance And Renewed Harmony

Cancer Horoscope: Welcome, nurturing Cancer! You are celebrated for your deep empathy, intuitive nature, and fierce protectiveness of your loved ones. Read More

Meezaan on age gap in films: ‘Weird aapko 30 years ke pehle…’

For Meezaan Jafri, the age difference between leading men and their female co-stars is a complex conversation within the Indian film industry. He praises ‘De De Pyaar De 2’ for navigating this issue with care and respect. Read More

Related Articles