Saturday, November 29, 2025
23.1 C
New Delhi

Jammu Man Offers To Gift Land To Journalist After He Loses Home In Jammu Demolition Drive

Jammu, Nov 28 (PTI) A day after the Jammu Development Authority (JDA) demolished a house belonging to the father of a journalist during an anti-encroachment drive, a Hindu neighbour on Friday offered to gift a piece of land to the affected family for rebuilding their home.

The demolition exercise in Jammu city has sparked a political controversy, with leaders from across the spectrum visiting the demolition site, expressing sympathy with the affected families, and accusing the authorities of “selective action”.

Kuldeep Kumar, accompanied by his daughter Tanya, offered a five-marla plot to the family of the journalist in Jammu’s Transport Nagar area.

“I am gifting five marlas of land through my daughter to the family so that my brother can rebuild his house,” Kumar told reporters, adding that he would also assist in the construction.

The video of his gift deed to affected family went viral on social media, drawing much praise.

Meanwhile, former Jammu and Kashmir BJP chief Ravinder Raina, who visited the area and met affected families, termed the demolition “selective” and assured full support to the residents.

“I was pained to see this. Our Prime Minister believes in giving houses to the poor, not demolishing them. We will ensure all help,” he said, calling Kuldeep Kumar’s gesture a symbol of Jammu and Kashmir’s harmony.

Raina blamed the elected government for the action, saying, “The Lieutenant Governor has not used the bulldozer. I spoke to him and he said no such orders were issued. Where did the order come from? I won’t politicise it.” The journalist said the demolished structure belonged to his father, and the family had lived there for 40 years. “No notice was served. It was selective targeting. Where were the authorities all this time?” he questioned.

An anti-encroachment drive was carried out on Thursday by the JDA, during which bulldozers demolished illegal structures in the Transport Nagar area, amid heavy police presence.

However, residents claimed they had been living in the area for the past four decades and were evicted without prior notice.

Jammu and Kashmir Congress working president Raman Bhalla, who visited the spot, condemned the JDA’s action and demanded accountability.

“Such things should not happen. Due legal process must be followed, and people must be heard. This is an atrocity,” he said.

A Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) delegation led by senior leader Varinder Singh Sonu visited the scene, also terming the exercise a “selective demolition”.

“Was only this three-marla house an encroachment? What about big land grabbers? This is shameful,” Sonu said.

Saying Chief Minister Omar Abdullah exercises direct control over the JDA as the housing minister, Sonu said the National Conference (NC) government has put salt on the wounds of people, who expected the elected government to heal their scars.

He questioned why action was limited to small landholders. “If encroachments must be removed, remove them from everywhere, including those by the most influential people. You call a three-marla owner a land grabber, but what about palatial houses on hundreds of kanals?” he questioned.

According to the JDA, the demolition drive is part of ongoing efforts to clear encroachments from its land across Jammu.

The Jammu and Kashmir government recently said in the assembly that over 16,000 kanals of JDA land is under encroachment in Jammu.

“The total JDA land under encroachment is 16,212 kanals and two marlas. In respect of Jammu Municipal Corporation, eight kanals and 16 marlas of land at Chatha are under encroachment,” read the written reply by the chief minister in the assembly.

Some portion of land was transferred to the JDA along with pre-existing encroachments, it added. 

(This report has been published as part of the auto-generated syndicate wire feed. Apart from the headline, no editing has been done in the copy by ABP Live.)

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Skinny, pale, with sunken eyes’: Palestinian-American teen freed after 9 months in Israeli detention — video

Mohammed Ibrahim (Image: X/@BlueCrewViking) A 16-year-old Palestinian-American teenager, Mohammed Ibrahim, who spent nine months in Israeli detention has been released. Read More

US Ready For Invasion of Venezuela? Military Activity ‘Ramps Up’ At Base In Puerto Rico | Watch

US military aircraft movements intensified at a former naval base on Nov. Read More

DGCA Shares Update After Airbus A320 Software Issue Triggers 388 Flight Delays

Both Air India and IndiGo issued advisories on Friday warning travellers of possible delays as aircraft undergo the mandatory fix. Read More

Defender reveals Dakar-ready D7X-R for 2026 season debut

Share via: Defender unveils the Dakar-ready D7X-R, a Stock-category rally SUV retaining OCTA foundations with targeted upgrades for extreme desert endurance in 2026. Read More

Topics

‘Skinny, pale, with sunken eyes’: Palestinian-American teen freed after 9 months in Israeli detention — video

Mohammed Ibrahim (Image: X/@BlueCrewViking) A 16-year-old Palestinian-American teenager, Mohammed Ibrahim, who spent nine months in Israeli detention has been released. Read More

DGCA Shares Update After Airbus A320 Software Issue Triggers 388 Flight Delays

Both Air India and IndiGo issued advisories on Friday warning travellers of possible delays as aircraft undergo the mandatory fix. Read More

Defender reveals Dakar-ready D7X-R for 2026 season debut

Share via: Defender unveils the Dakar-ready D7X-R, a Stock-category rally SUV retaining OCTA foundations with targeted upgrades for extreme desert endurance in 2026. Read More

Lin Laishram was part of Shah Rukh Khan’s Om Shanti Om

Randeep Hooda and Lin Laishram joyfully announced their first pregnancy on their second wedding anniversary. Amidst this happy news, a delightful revelation emerged: Lin had a cameo in Shah Rukh Khan’s ‘Om Shanti Om’. Read More

Choreographer Nandika Dwivedi Breaks Silence On Palaash Muchhal Controversy

Palaash Muchhal and Smriti Mandhana had planned to tie the knot on November 23, with their Haldi and Mehendi ceremonies already completed. Read More

Breaking: West Bengal tourist attacked in Nawada, police detain accused after FIR

A shocking incident has come to light from Nawada, Bihar, where tourists from West Bengal faced violence while returning from Bodh Gaya. Read More

Related Articles