Saturday, November 29, 2025
23.1 C
New Delhi

Hong Kong fire tragedy: Were authorities alerted long before? Key details

Hong Kong fire tragedy: Were authorities alerted long before? Key details

AP image

More than a year before a massive blaze tore through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Hong Kong, residents had raised an alarm over the use of flammable construction materials during ongoing renovation works. Their concerns, largely dismissed at the time, have now resurfaced at the centre of a widening investigation into one of Hong Kong’s worst fire disasters in decades.

Hong Kong Horror: New Footage Shows Exact Moment Fire Started And Swept High-Rise Towers | On Cam

The inferno, which broke out on Wednesday afternoon and rapidly spread across seven of the complex’s eight high-rise towers, has so far claimed at least 128 lives. Officials said at least 79 people have been injured, including 12 firefighters, while around 200 residents are still missing. Authorities say the blaze erupted on bamboo scaffolding and protective netting installed for large-scale repairs at the ageing estate, before spreading swiftly due to highly flammable polystyrene boards and foam panels placed around windows.Fire alarms in all eight buildings were found to be malfunctioning, leaving residents with no warning as the flames engulfed their homes.Warnings ignored, accountability questionedResidents had alerted the Hong Kong Labour Department as early as September 2024, raising concerns about fire hazards linked to the scaffolding netting and foam materials. Emails show officials first claimed there were no specific regulations covering flame-retardant standards for such netting. They later assured residents that the materials met safety requirements, citing certificates submitted by the contractor, as reported by The New York Times. Authorities now acknowledge that the foam boards were highly flammable and accelerated the fire’s spread. Security Secretary Chris Tang said the blaze generated extreme temperatures and caused scaffolding to collapse, blocking exits and hampering rescue attempts.Three men associated with the renovation, including the directors and a consultant of the construction company were arrested on Thursday on suspicion of manslaughter and gross negligence.On Friday, the Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) arrested eight more people, including engineering consultants, scaffolding subcontractors and an intermediary, over suspected corruption linked to the project. Officials are examining whether substandard materials were knowingly used and whether fraud may have been involved in safety certifications.Hong Kong mourns as search efforts continueA three-day official mourning period began on Saturday, with Chief Executive John Lee leading senior officials in observing a moment of silence as flags flew at half-mast. Grief-stricken families continue to search hospitals and victim identification centres for missing loved ones.Relief centres and emergency shelters are housing nearly 900 displaced residents, while authorities warn the death toll may rise further as teams comb through charred units for remains.The tragedy has sparked urgent calls for stronger safety oversight, particularly in older public housing blocks undergoing renovation. Nationwide inspections of scaffolding and construction materials are now underway.As Hong Kong confronts its deadliest blaze since 1948, grieving residents continue to ask why clear warnings went unheeded and whether this devastation could have been prevented.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Who is Curtis Yarvin? Ex-software engineer calls Trump ‘modern-day Lincoln’

. Curtis Yarvin, called US president Donald Trump a “modern day Lincoln” on Friday, while praising the president’s Thanksgiving message. Read More

Karnataka: Daughter Assaults Mother With Slippers After She Tries To Seek Help

While laws exist to protect senior citizens from neglect and abuse, many cases remain hidden due to emotional pressure, dependency, or fear of social consequences. Read More

Andhra King Taluka crosses USD 325,000 mark in North America;

Andhra King Taluka is off to a strong start, outperforming other releases in North America with over $326,000 collected. The film is also a hit domestically, crossing Rs 7 crore in just two days. Read More

India Launches Operation Sagar Bandhu: 21 Tonnes Of Relief Flown To Cyclone-Hit Sri Lanka

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Colombo, Nov 29: The Indian Air Force on Saturday delivered 21 tonnes of relief material along with over 80 NDRF personnel and eight tonnes of equipment to Sri Lanka to ass Read More

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India delivers 21 tonnes of relief to Sri Lanka as floods kill 123

The Indian Air Force promptly deployed one C-130 and one IL-76 from Hindon Air Base on the night of intervening night of Friday and Saturday, airlifting 21 tonnes of relief material Go to Source Read More

Topics

Who is Curtis Yarvin? Ex-software engineer calls Trump ‘modern-day Lincoln’

. Curtis Yarvin, called US president Donald Trump a “modern day Lincoln” on Friday, while praising the president’s Thanksgiving message. Read More

Karnataka: Daughter Assaults Mother With Slippers After She Tries To Seek Help

While laws exist to protect senior citizens from neglect and abuse, many cases remain hidden due to emotional pressure, dependency, or fear of social consequences. Read More

Andhra King Taluka crosses USD 325,000 mark in North America;

Andhra King Taluka is off to a strong start, outperforming other releases in North America with over $326,000 collected. The film is also a hit domestically, crossing Rs 7 crore in just two days. Read More

India Launches Operation Sagar Bandhu: 21 Tonnes Of Relief Flown To Cyclone-Hit Sri Lanka

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Colombo, Nov 29: The Indian Air Force on Saturday delivered 21 tonnes of relief material along with over 80 NDRF personnel and eight tonnes of equipment to Sri Lanka to ass Read More

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India delivers 21 tonnes of relief to Sri Lanka as floods kill 123

The Indian Air Force promptly deployed one C-130 and one IL-76 from Hindon Air Base on the night of intervening night of Friday and Saturday, airlifting 21 tonnes of relief material Go to Source Read More

Cyclone Ditwah: Death toll rises to 123 in Sri Lanka as floods trigger mass evacuations, with 130 still missing

Cyclone Ditwah has left 123 people dead and 130 missing in Sri Lanka, where torrential rains and severe flooding have forced tens of thousands into shelters as rescue teams work to reach stranded communities Go to Source Read More

Delta, Jetstar Among Global Airlines Impacted After Airbus Requests Modifications To 6K Planes

Several major airlines including Delta Airlines, Air Canada, LATAM Brasil, Azul Brazilian Airlines, SkyWest Airlines, and Jetstar have announced widespread flight cancellations. Read More

China’s BYD recalls 88,981 plug-in hybrids over battery safety hazard

BYDs October sales dropped 12 per cent from the same month a year earlier, after a 33 per cent drop in third-quarter profit. Read More

Related Articles