Monday, August 17, 2026
31 C
New Delhi

Firefighters search for hundreds still missing in devastating Hong Kong tower blocks fire

Jaroslav Lukivand

Fan Wang

Firefighters are still searching for hundreds of missing people after a massive fire tore through multiple high-rise residential buildings in Hong Kong.

At least 65 people died in the blaze – the city’s deadliest in more than 70 years – at Wang Fuk Court’s complex, which is home to thousands.

The tower blocks had been undergoing extensive renovations – and while the exact cause for the fire is unclear, police say materials on the outside of the buildings may have facilitated its spread.

Three construction company executives have been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter and gross negligence, and Hong Kong’s chief executive John Lee has vowed to launch a comprehensive investigation.

The fire, which tore through seven of eight tower blocks in Tai Po district on Wednesday, is now “basically under control”, Lee said.

It started at 14:51 local time (06:51 GMT) on Wednesday, with flames and thick clouds of grey smoke seen billowing from the towers, dominating the city’s skyline.

By 18:22 local time, officials upgraded the fire to a level five – the most serious category.

Firefighter Ho Wai-ho, 37, was among those killed in the blaze. He was found collapsed at the scene about 30 minutes after contact with him was lost.

Ten other firefighters are also injured, the fire department said.

The fierce heat of the blaze, as well as dangerous debris and the risk posed from collapsing scaffolding, has hampered rescue efforts, but the fire department has so far rescued 55 people.

“Despite the complex conditions at the scene, the firefighters’ rescue efforts will not stop,” Lee told a news conference on Thursday evening.

More than 270 people remain unaccounted for, while 70 people are injured.

Reuters Destroyed tower with debris falling from it. The remains of the scaffolding - its frame - is still visible. Most of the fire on this part has been put out but there is still glows of it certain areasReuters
Reuters A man gestures in distress as the tower blocks burn behind him.Reuters

The mood in Hong Kong has shifted from shock to anguish, as questions grow regarding who should be held accountable for the blaze.

Anger has been building on social media, especially after several residents revealed in interviews that they did not hear a fire alarm when the fire broke out.

Kiko Ma, 33, who has an apartment in the housing complex, told the BBC that some of the fire alarms had been turned off during the renovation, as construction workers regularly used fire escapes to enter and exit the buildings.

Reports of their complaints last year over renovation plans have also resurfaced, and are circulating widely online. Residents had taken issue with high renovation fees and questioned whether the materials used complied with fire-safety regulations.

Mesh material and plastic sheets which were found on the outside of the buildings are not believed to be fireproof, while polystyrene was also found on the buildings’ windows.

These materials may have allowed the fire to spread faster, police said.

“We have reason to believe that those in charge at the company were grossly negligent, which led to this accident and caused the fire to spread uncontrollably, resulting in major casualties,” a police spokesperson said.

Hong Kong’s Independent Commission Against Corruption has said it will launch a criminal investigation over the renovation works.

Fire safety expert Prof Jiang Liming, from Hong Kong Polytechnic University, said he believed the bamboo scaffolding connecting the apartment blocks may have also helped the fire grow.

Bamboo scaffolding is a common sight across Hong Kong – a city known for its high-rise buildings – and is widely used in construction.

Lee said he had arranged inspections of “all housing estates undergoing major repairs” to check the “safety of scaffolding and building materials”.

He added that the government was considering a review of bamboo scaffolding and whether they should be replaced by metal frameworks.

Map that labels China, Hong Kong and Tai Po, which is in the centre of the map. Tai Po has a pin, which leads to a box showing what Wang Fuk Court looked like before the fire

Wang Fuk Court in Hong Kong’s northerly suburban Tai Po district was built in 1983 and consists of eight tower blocks providing 1,984 apartments for around 4,600 residents, according to a 2021 government census.

Nearly 40% of its residents are estimated to be at least 65 years old. Some have lived in the subsidised housing estate since it was built.

China’s President Xi Jinping has expressed sympathy for the victims and urged that every effort be made to put out the fire and minimise the losses, state media reported.

Hong Kong’s deadliest fire on record killed 176 people in 1948 and was caused by a ground-floor explosion at a five-storey warehouse.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump felicitates lifeguard who saved Indian American kid from surf waves

Washi gto , Aug 17 (PTI): US P eside t Do ald T ump o Mo day felicitated a 16-yea -old lifegua d who saved a 10-yea -old I dia -o igi boy f om getti g washed away at a Califo ia beach last mo th. Read More

Snapped power line in waterlogged area electrocutes mother-child in Rishikesh, engineer suspended

Rishikesh/Deh adu , Aug 17 (PTI): A woma ca yi g he two-yea -old daughte walked i to a wate logged a ea of ​​Rishikesh amid heavy ai s, o ly to be elect ocuted by the live cu e t sp eadi g th ough it due to a s apped powe li e. Read More

YEIDA plans medical hub, university township, Taiwan City; move to create new investment avenues

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): The Yamu a Exp essway I dust ial Developme t Autho ity (YEIDA) o Mo day took seve al impo ta t p oposals elated to i dust ial developme t, medical educatio , pha maceuticals, medical devices, t a spo tatio , spo ts a d fa me Read More

Amitabh Bachchan hails UP Police anthem ‘Khaki Ka Sitara’

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): Utta P adesh Police’s fi st official a them, ‘Khaki Ka Sita a’, has bee eleased i a 6.5-mi ute full-le gth video o YouTube, d awi g p aise f om megasta Amitabh Bachcha. Read More

Police officer, journalist among 4 held for kidnapping Odisha businessman

Bhuba eswa , Aug 17 (PTI): A woma police sub-i specto a d a jou alist we e amo g fou people a ested fo thei alleged i volveme t i the kid appi g of a busi essma f om Odisha’s Bola gi dist ict, police said o Mo day. Read More

Topics

Trump felicitates lifeguard who saved Indian American kid from surf waves

Washi gto , Aug 17 (PTI): US P eside t Do ald T ump o Mo day felicitated a 16-yea -old lifegua d who saved a 10-yea -old I dia -o igi boy f om getti g washed away at a Califo ia beach last mo th. Read More

Snapped power line in waterlogged area electrocutes mother-child in Rishikesh, engineer suspended

Rishikesh/Deh adu , Aug 17 (PTI): A woma ca yi g he two-yea -old daughte walked i to a wate logged a ea of ​​Rishikesh amid heavy ai s, o ly to be elect ocuted by the live cu e t sp eadi g th ough it due to a s apped powe li e. Read More

YEIDA plans medical hub, university township, Taiwan City; move to create new investment avenues

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): The Yamu a Exp essway I dust ial Developme t Autho ity (YEIDA) o Mo day took seve al impo ta t p oposals elated to i dust ial developme t, medical educatio , pha maceuticals, medical devices, t a spo tatio , spo ts a d fa me Read More

Amitabh Bachchan hails UP Police anthem ‘Khaki Ka Sitara’

Luck ow, Aug 17 (PTI): Utta P adesh Police’s fi st official a them, ‘Khaki Ka Sita a’, has bee eleased i a 6.5-mi ute full-le gth video o YouTube, d awi g p aise f om megasta Amitabh Bachcha. Read More

Police officer, journalist among 4 held for kidnapping Odisha businessman

Bhuba eswa , Aug 17 (PTI): A woma police sub-i specto a d a jou alist we e amo g fou people a ested fo thei alleged i volveme t i the kid appi g of a busi essma f om Odisha’s Bola gi dist ict, police said o Mo day. Read More

Afghan embassy hosts event marking 5th anniversary of Taliban’s return to power in Kabul

New Delhi, Aug 17 (PTI): St o ge political t ust, eco omic pa t e ship a d co ti ued e gageme t betwee Afgha ista a d I dia will ot o ly be efit both cou t ies, but will also make a impo ta t co t ibutio to egio al stability a d p ospe ity, Afgha Read More

Indian-origin grandmother with Green Card detained by ICE after living in the US for 30 years. Her daughter is an immigration attorney

Ve kata Vasamsetty (middle) has bee i the US fo 30 yea s a d has bee a G ee Ca d holde si ce 2013. Read More

In 1745, the US welcomed mimosa trees for pink flowers; they later spread invasively

Image AI ge e ated A ou d 1745, mimosa a ived i the U ited States as a o ame tal t ee, p ized fo its f ag a t pi k flowe s, delicate foliage a d u usual habit of foldi g its leaves at ight. Read More

Related Articles