Friday, May 22, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Fake debris images? US flags China’s ‘disinformation campaign’ against Rafale after Operation Sindoor — what it says

Fake debris images? US flags China's 'disinformation campaign' against Rafale after Operation Sindoor — what it says

China launched a “disinformation campaign” after Operation Sindoor in a bid to “hinder” the sales of French Rafales “in favor” of its own J-35s, a US annual report released on Wednesday said.The US-China Economic and Security Review Commission, a US Congress-created advisory body, also accused Beijing of creating AI-generated images of “debris” claiming to have been destroyed by Chinese warplanes.”Following the May 2025 India-Pakistan border crisis, China initiated a disinformation campaign to hinder sales of French Rafale aircraft in favor of its own J-35s, using fake social media accounts to propagate AI images of supposed “debris” from the planes that China’s weaponry destroyed,” the report said.Soon after the April 22 Pahalgam attack, China had announced that it would sell J-35 jets to Pakistan, raising questions about the timing of the move.

What does the US report say?

Citing French intelligence, the report said that China initiated a “disinformation campaign” angainst Rafale jets and “hailed the successes of its systems in the India-Pakistan clash, seeking to bolster weapons sales.””In the weeks after the conflict, Chinese embassies hailed the successes of its systems in the India-Pakistan clash, seeking to bolster weapons sales. Pakistan’s use of Chinese weapons to down French Rafale fighter jets used by India also became a particular selling point for Chinese Embassy defense sales efforts despite the fact that only three jets flown by India’s military were reportedly downed and all may not have been Rafales,” the report said. “Chinese Embassy officials convinced Indonesia to halt a purchase of Rafale jets already in process, furthering China’s inroads into other regional actors’ military procurements,” it added.Earlier this year, Beijing’s decision to fast-track the sale of 30 J-35A stealth fighters to Pakistan at roughly half price had sparked a wave of criticism. The planned export, China’s first of a fifth-generation jet, was widely viewed as both financially unwise and strategically risky. Deliveries were slated to start in August 2025, but many Chinese users were frustrated and confused, pointing out that the J-35A, or FC-31, was still in testing and had not even been commissioned into China’s own air force.

Go to Source

Hot this week

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

India scores high on breastfeeding code: WHO

Countries substantially aligned with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes report exclusive breastfeeding rates of 54%, compared with 24% in countries with no legal measures. Read More

SC lifts life ban on 3 professors in NCERT textbook row

NEW DELHI: Accepting the explanation of three academics – Prof Michel Danino, Suparna Diwakar and Alok Prasanna Kumar, the Supreme Court Friday lifted the life ban on their association with academic exercises in govt-run univer Read More

Topics

India, Cyprus upgrade ties, sign pact to counter terror

NEW DELHI: India and Cyprus upgraded their ties to a strategic partnership, launched a roadmap for defence cooperation and signed an MoU for establishing a joint working group on counterterrorism as PM Narendra Modi hosted President N Read More

Will bring back Sunali’s hubby, Centre tells SC

NEW DELHI: After bringing back a pregnant woman, Sunali, and her 8-yr-old son, the Centre Friday told the Supreme Court that it would bring back in 10 days four others, including her husband, from Bangladesh where they were deported b Read More

Rajya Sabha polls for 24 seats on June 18; Mallikarjun Kharge, HD Deve Gowda set to retire

New Delhi: Congress is set to go unrepresented from Gujarat in Rajya Sabha for the first time as Election Commission announced polls for 24 seats in the House on June 18. Read More

India scores high on breastfeeding code: WHO

Countries substantially aligned with the International Code of Marketing of Breast-milk Substitutes report exclusive breastfeeding rates of 54%, compared with 24% in countries with no legal measures. Read More

SC lifts life ban on 3 professors in NCERT textbook row

NEW DELHI: Accepting the explanation of three academics – Prof Michel Danino, Suparna Diwakar and Alok Prasanna Kumar, the Supreme Court Friday lifted the life ban on their association with academic exercises in govt-run univer Read More

US state secretary Marco Rubio to meet PM Modi today, hold bilateral with EAM tomorrow

NEW DELHI: US secretary of state Marco Rubio will call on PM Narendra Modi on Saturday, ahead of his bilateral meeting with counterpart S Jaishankar on Sunday and the Quad foreign ministers’ meeting on Tuesday. Read More

Hearing-impaired boy from West Bengal reunited with family after 2 years

Lucknow, May 22 (PTI): A 13-year-old hearing-impaired boy, who was missing from his home in West Bengal for nearly two years, was reunited with his family on Friday, through the efforts of a government shelter home here, an official statement said. Read More

‘Go home’ for Green Card rule: Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders should do now

Immigration attorney Rahul Reddy explains what H-1B visa holders applying for Green Cards should do. Read More

Related Articles