Wednesday, February 18, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

Trump’s plan for Gaza backed by UN Security Council

The UN Security Council has voted in favour of a US-drafted resolution, which endorses Donald Trump’s 20-point plan for Gaza.

Included in the plan is the establishment of an International Stabilisation Force (ISF), which the US says multiple unnamed countries have offered to contribute to.

The resolution was backed by 13 countries – including the UK, France and Somalia – with none voting against the proposal. Russia and China abstained.

Hamas has rejected the resolution, saying it fails to meet Palestinians’ rights and demands.

The plan “imposes an international guardianship mechanism on the Gaza Strip, which our people and their factions reject,” the group said on Telegram.

“Assigning the international force with tasks and roles inside the Gaza Strip, including disarming the resistance, strips it of its neutrality, and turns it into a party to the conflict in favour of the occupation,” it added.

According to reports on the latest draft, part of the ISF’s role would be to work on the “permanent decommissioning of weapons from non-state armed groups” – including Hamas – as well as protecting civilians and humanitarian aid routes.

This would require Hamas, proscribed as a terrorist organisation by the UK, to hand over its weapons – something it is meant to do under Trump’s peace plan.

As well as authorising an ISF, which it says would work with Israel and Egypt – Gaza’s southern neighbour – the draft also calls for creation of a newly trained Palestinian police in Gaza.

Until now, the police there have operated under the authority of Hamas.

Mike Waltz, the US’s ambassador to the UN, told the Council that the ISF would be “tasked with securing the area, supporting the demilitarization of Gaza, dismantling the terrorist infrastructure, removing weapons, and ensuring the safety of Palestinian civilians”.

The initial phase of the plan – a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas and the handing over of hostages and detainees – came into force on 10 October. Waltz described it as a “fragile, fragile first step”.

The ISF is a central plank of Trump’s plan which also includes establishing a so-called Board of Peace, which the US president himself is expected to head.

Financing for reconstruction of Gaza following two years of war would come from a trust fund backed by the World Bank, according to the resolution.

The draft also raises the possibility of a Palestinian state – something Israel strongly opposes. A path to future statehood was included following pressure from key Arab states.

Trump’s peace plan in effect suspended the fighting between Israel and Hamas which had raged since Hamas-led gunmen attacked Israel on 7 October 2023. About 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage in that attack.

More than 69,483 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli military action in Gaza since then, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Go to Source

Hot this week

What Is Freedom.gov? Inside The US Plan For A Portal To Access Content Banned In Europe

Washington is developing a website aimed at expanding access to restricted online content, a move that could raise tensions with European regulators. Read More

Eight skiers found dead after California avalanche

Fifteen skiers went missing on Tuesday following a massive avalanche in California’s Lake Tahoe region. One person remains missing but is presumed dead. Read More

Granthi levels graft charges against SGPC leadership

SGPC (File photo) JALANDHAR: Alleging corruption in Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, former Akal Takht jathedar and current Darbar Sahib head granthi Giani Raghbir Singh accused the Badal family of “patronising corrupt Read More

Karnataka Stray Dog Crisis Back In Focus As 6-Year-Old Girl Mauled In Vijayapura

The quick actions of a local shopkeeper and nearby residents prevented a fatality, as CCTV footage revealed the pack had surrounded the child and begun dragging her Go to Source Read More

Ranbir, Alia attend Mumbai wedding with Raha, Neetu, Soni

It was a picture-perfect evening in Mumbai as Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt stepped out for a wedding celebration with their daughter Raha Kapoor. Read More

Topics

What Is Freedom.gov? Inside The US Plan For A Portal To Access Content Banned In Europe

Washington is developing a website aimed at expanding access to restricted online content, a move that could raise tensions with European regulators. Read More

Eight skiers found dead after California avalanche

Fifteen skiers went missing on Tuesday following a massive avalanche in California’s Lake Tahoe region. One person remains missing but is presumed dead. Read More

Granthi levels graft charges against SGPC leadership

SGPC (File photo) JALANDHAR: Alleging corruption in Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, former Akal Takht jathedar and current Darbar Sahib head granthi Giani Raghbir Singh accused the Badal family of “patronising corrupt Read More

Karnataka Stray Dog Crisis Back In Focus As 6-Year-Old Girl Mauled In Vijayapura

The quick actions of a local shopkeeper and nearby residents prevented a fatality, as CCTV footage revealed the pack had surrounded the child and begun dragging her Go to Source Read More

Ranbir, Alia attend Mumbai wedding with Raha, Neetu, Soni

It was a picture-perfect evening in Mumbai as Ranbir Kapoor and Alia Bhatt stepped out for a wedding celebration with their daughter Raha Kapoor. Read More

‘Don’t Give Away Diego Garcia’: Trump Warns UK’s Starmer Over Indian Ocean Base Amid Iran Tensions

Trump said the Indian Ocean base would be crucial if Washington moves ahead with military action on Iran, even as the US backed the UK’s Chagos deal. Read More

Lalu aide seeks transfer of case to SC; court issues notice to ED

Supreme Court of India NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has issued a notice to the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on a plea by Amit Katyal – allegedly a close aide of former railway minister Lalu Prasad Yadav who has been accused o Read More

Can’t give a precise date for my return to India, Vijay Mallya tells Bombay HC

Vijay Mallya (File photo) MUMBAI: Vijay Mallya, founder of the defunct Kingfisher Airlines, is “unable to precisely state when he will return to India”, his solicitors said in a statement before Bombay HC. Read More

Related Articles