Monday, August 17, 2026
32 C
New Delhi

‘This is not a leaving speech’: Tim Davie rallies a shaken BBC as he prepares to step down

‘This is not a leaving speech’: Tim Davie rallies a shaken BBC as he prepares to step down

As Tim Davie is forced to step aside, the outgoing BBC director general left his staff with a firm message: “fight for our journalism,” he told employees on Tuesday, only days after Donald Trump threatened to sue the corporation for $1 billion over a Panorama programme.Speaking during a 40-minute internal call, Davie acknowledged the mounting pressure of the past week but tried to reassure staff that BBC would get through the crisis.Davie resigned on Sunday along with BBC News chief Deborah Turness. He admitted the corporation had made “some mistakes that have cost us” but said he remained “fiercely proud” of the organisation and the work its journalists do every day. He told the meeting that long-term arrangements for the news division would be confirmed soon and that the BBC Board was now in “succession mode” as it begins the process of finding his replacement.

How an ‘editorial breach’ cost BBC

This entire drama comes after a leaked internal memo accused Panorama of misleading viewers by splicing together two separate parts of Trump’s January 6, 2021, speech, creating the impression he had issued a direct call for violent action. Trump’s legal team has demanded a full retraction and “appropriate compensation” by Friday.Davie did not directly address the threat of legal action during the call, but he accepted there had been an “editorial breach” and said “responsibility had to be taken.” He also identified three reasons for his decision to step down: the relentlessness of the role, the upcoming Charter renewal and the pressures created by the Panorama controversy. “We did make a mistake,” he told staff, while repeating that he would not change anything about his time leading the corporation. “I have no regrets.”

‘We will get through it’: Davie

In his comments, Davie stressed that the BBC was in a strong position heading into Charter renewal in 2027. He insisted the government remained supportive of public institutions and said the BBC had “a very strong case” for its future. “These times are difficult for the BBC, but we will get through it,” he added.BBC chair Samir Shah joined Davie on the call and confirmed that no timeline had been set for Davie’s departure. Shah also apologised publicly on Monday for Panorama’s “error of judgement,” saying the spliced edit “did give the impression of a direct call for violent action.” Both he and Davie struck a determined and optimistic tone, with Shah repeating that BBC journalists should continue their work despite political pressures at home and abroad.

Trump’s demand ‘totally meaningless’

Furthermore, media experts have downplayed the MAGA chief’s demand. George Freeman, executive director of the Media Law Resource Center in New York, called the $1 billion threat “totally meaningless.” He said Trump has a long record of issuing libel threats that never become actual lawsuits and described such letters as attempts “to threaten and to scare media he doesn’t like.”

Panorama row ‘understandably contributed’ to Davie’s departure

Before the staff meeting, Davie told reporters outside the BBC’s London headquarters that he was “very proud of the journalists in this building” and that he was there “to lead and support them” through a difficult moment. He said the Panorama dispute was not the sole reason for his departure, but that it “understandably contributed” to his decision. He reminded staff that the BBC has weathered scandals before and said he believed it would “thrive” in the years ahead.

Moving on in an ‘orderly transition’

During the call, Davie also spoke about what comes next for the corporation and stressed that the BBC must “steer the course” and continue its work. He told staff, “This is not a leaving speech,” and made clear he will remain in post until an “orderly transition” is agreed with the Board. Addressing newsroom leadership after the resignation of Deborah Turness, he said her deputy Jonathan Munro “will be in charge and, at the moment, is in charge editorially in the newsroom. I think everyone’s clear about that.” Davie urged staff to focus on their jobs and support one another, saying, “We need to get on with our business and do our work. We need to look after each other, get through it, give everyone on the outside a clear message which is ‘look, it’s been difficult, two people have left, we move on.’” Go to Source

Hot this week

Tupac Shakur murder trial begins after 3 decades, former gang leader Keffe D accused of killing rap icon

Dua e ‘Keffe D’ Davis pleads ot guilty as Tupac Shaku mu de t ial ope s i Las Vegas. Read More

A California school has been sued after a field trip of students who were encouraged to wear hijab, given Qurans

Zah a Billoo, CAIR official, called the lawsuit misguided a d said the pa ticipatio of the stude ts i that field t ip was volu ta y. Read More

‘Follow law of land’: Centre to X after Musk announces greater visibility on govt censorship

NEW DELHI: Ce t e o Mo day said that Elo Musk-ow ed X will have to “follow the law of the la d” afte the social media platfo m i t oduced a ew ule to make gove me t-d ive est ictio s o co te t mo e visible to use s. Read More

Tributes paid to Hayden Panettiere’s ‘amazing talent’ after actress dies at 36

To play this video you eed to e able JavaSc ipt i you b owse . Read More

‘Struggle For Education Reforms To Continue’: Jharkhand Student Leader Mahato After Exam Cancellation

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom Mahato pledged co ti ued efo m suppo t, e su i g futu e exami atio system i teg ity. Read More

Topics

Tupac Shakur murder trial begins after 3 decades, former gang leader Keffe D accused of killing rap icon

Dua e ‘Keffe D’ Davis pleads ot guilty as Tupac Shaku mu de t ial ope s i Las Vegas. Read More

A California school has been sued after a field trip of students who were encouraged to wear hijab, given Qurans

Zah a Billoo, CAIR official, called the lawsuit misguided a d said the pa ticipatio of the stude ts i that field t ip was volu ta y. Read More

‘Follow law of land’: Centre to X after Musk announces greater visibility on govt censorship

NEW DELHI: Ce t e o Mo day said that Elo Musk-ow ed X will have to “follow the law of the la d” afte the social media platfo m i t oduced a ew ule to make gove me t-d ive est ictio s o co te t mo e visible to use s. Read More

‘Struggle For Education Reforms To Continue’: Jharkhand Student Leader Mahato After Exam Cancellation

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom Mahato pledged co ti ued efo m suppo t, e su i g futu e exami atio system i teg ity. Read More

WATCH: Buttler Praises Goenka After Title Win, Fans Drag KL Rahul Amid ‘PR Stunt’ Talks

Show Quick Read Key poi ts ge e ated by AI, ve ified by ews oom Buttle p aised ow e Goe ka afte Ma cheste Supe Gia ts’ title. Social media questio ed p aise, li ki g it to Goe ka’s image. Read More

David and Victoria Beckham win battle for ‘Blackpool-style’ lights at £6.15m Cotswolds home

David a d Victo ia Beckham’s £6.15 millio Cotswolds home gets the g ee light fo ‘Blackpool-style’ lake illumi atio s, a hot tub a d fi epit despite objectio s f om a c itic based i Aust alia. Read More

Meet ex-Tesla engineer Saiman Shetty who became American citizen through EB-1 Green Card: ‘That one decision gave me freedom’

Saima Shetty, a ex-Tesla e gi ee , sha ed how he did ot wait fo H-1B a d took the EB-1A path a d ow is a US citize i 13 yea s. Read More

Related Articles