Tuesday, May 19, 2026
44.1 C
New Delhi

Ford lowers annual guidance, citing fire at supplier’s aluminum plant

Ford said it would increase production of its F-150 and SuperDuty trucks by 50,000 vehicles at plants in Michigan and Kentucky next year to recoup losses.
Ford said it would increase production of its F-150 and SuperDuty trucks by 50,000 vehicles at plants in Michigan and Kentucky next year to recoup losses.

Ford Motor cut its profit guidance on Thursday, citing fallout from a fire at a critical aluminum supplier that will crimp production of some of its most lucrative vehicles through the end of the year. A September fire at the Novelis factory in Oswego, New York that supplies material for F-150 trucks will cost the automaker about $1.5 billion to $2 billion before taxes and interest, Ford said, adding it expects to offset about $1 billion of that next year. Ford CEO Jim Farley said in a statement that he had been on site working with Novelis to source aluminum from parts of the plant that were still operational. “We have made substantial progress in a short time to minimize the impact in 2025 and recover production in 2026,” Farley said. Ford posted revenue of $50.5 billion for the third quarter, up 9per cent from a year earlier. It reported earnings per share for the period of 45 cents, beating LSEG analysts’ expectation of 36 cents.

The Detroit Three automaker cut its annual outlook for the second time this year, to earnings before interest and taxes of $6.0 billion to $6.5 billion, from $6.5 billion to $7.5 billion.

Ford previously lowered its guidance because of tariffs.

There is relief on the horizon for many US automakers, after President Donald Trump approved an order to expand credits for US auto and engine production, allowing companies to receive a credit equal to 3.75per cent of the suggested retail price for US assembled vehicles through 2030 to offset import tariffs on parts.

Ford said in July that Trump’s levies would cost up to $3 billion this year, $1 billion of which it planned to offset. On Thursday, executives said it now faces a $1 billion net tariff impact because of the relief announced last week.

Ford Chief Financial Officer Sherry House said it would have raised guidance had it not been for the Novelis fire. The automaker is purchasing aluminum from other Novelis facilities, executives said.

Novelis supplies other automakers, including Toyota and Stellantis, but Ford is a major consumer because its F-150 trucks use a mainly aluminum body. General Motors on Tuesday said it has been “minimally impacted” by the fire.

Ford said it would increase production of its F-150 and SuperDuty trucks by 50,000 vehicles at plants in Michigan and Kentucky next year to recoup losses.

The auto industry faces several potential disruptions to global supply chains beyond fallout from the Novelis fire. China recently tightened controls over exports of battery materials used in electric vehicles, as well as rare earths, which are used extensively inside cars.

Separately, an intellectual-property dispute between the Netherlands and China over computer chips has auto-industry groups warning of potential factory disruptions.

Sales of gasoline-fueled trucks and SUVs continue to power Detroit’s profits, as Ford and GM have both walked back their electric vehicle plans to focus on the traditional core products. Automakers’ EV sales surged in the third quarter as shoppers rushed to take advantage of a $7,500 tax credit that went away at the end of September. Analysts and automotive executives project that EV demand will drop off through the end of the year, but slowly regain ground in 2026.

GM’s stock surged 15per cent on Tuesday after it reported third-quarter results that beat Wall Street’s expectations, including an upbeat outlook on 2026 and lowered impact from tariffs. Tesla on Wednesday reported revenue that beat forecasts, but its profits missed expectations on tariff and research costs, sending its stock down about 4per cent. Ford’s EV losses and quality problems have been its largest challenges for several quarters. Earlier this year, the automaker said it expected to lose up to $5.5 billion on its EV and software business in 2025. It recorded a $1.4 billion operating loss on this segment for the quarter.

  • Published On Oct 24, 2025 at 10:06 AM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

Why Reed Hastings’ Netflix culture memo says working harder can quietly hurt your company

Netflix’s famed cultural memo champions results over mere effort, challenging traditional workplaces that reward busyness. Read More

Labour Members Don’t Want Keir Starmer To Lead Party In Next UK Election. Who Could Replace Him?

Starmer faced a massive blow after UK Health Secretary Wes Streeting resigned and launched a separate bid for leadership. Read More

Meet The Democrats Eyeing A 2028 White House Run After Trump

Kamala Harris remains well known nationally and continues to perform strongly in early Democratic polling. Read More

Indian Expats In UAE To Get 16 New Passport, Visa Centres From July 1

Alhind Group has won Indian govt’s contract to handle passport, visa and consular services in UAE from July 2026, replacing BLS International. Read More

WHO Warns Current Ebola Outbreak ‘Larger Than Ascertained’, Spreading Faster

WHO warns Ebola in DR Congo and Uganda may be spreading faster and under detected, over 513 suspected cases. Neighbouring countries shut their borders. Read More

Topics

Why Reed Hastings’ Netflix culture memo says working harder can quietly hurt your company

Netflix’s famed cultural memo champions results over mere effort, challenging traditional workplaces that reward busyness. Read More

Labour Members Don’t Want Keir Starmer To Lead Party In Next UK Election. Who Could Replace Him?

Starmer faced a massive blow after UK Health Secretary Wes Streeting resigned and launched a separate bid for leadership. Read More

Meet The Democrats Eyeing A 2028 White House Run After Trump

Kamala Harris remains well known nationally and continues to perform strongly in early Democratic polling. Read More

Indian Expats In UAE To Get 16 New Passport, Visa Centres From July 1

Alhind Group has won Indian govt’s contract to handle passport, visa and consular services in UAE from July 2026, replacing BLS International. Read More

WHO Warns Current Ebola Outbreak ‘Larger Than Ascertained’, Spreading Faster

WHO warns Ebola in DR Congo and Uganda may be spreading faster and under detected, over 513 suspected cases. Neighbouring countries shut their borders. Read More

Hantavirus Kills Colorado Man With Severe Symptoms: What Happens When This Rodent-Borne Virus Enters The Human Body

Health officials in Colorado confirmed that an adult man from Douglas County died after developing severe hantavirus symptoms linked to rodent exposure. Read More

GK: Which Indian City Is Called The Litchi Capital Of The World?

Bursting orchards, alluvial soil, and trucks loaded with premium fruit—inside the summer harvest that puts India on the global fruit map Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

8 Indian Wildlife Sanctuaries Perfect For A First Safari With Children

A child’s first safari is more than a holiday — it’s their first real step into nature, spotting wildlife and enjoying unforgettable jungle jeep rides. Read More

Related Articles