Monday, May 18, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

Trump says trade talks with Canada ‘terminated’ over anti-tariffs advert

US President Donald Trump has said he is immediately ending all trade negotiations with Canada.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump wrote that the country had run an advert featuring former US President Ronald Reagan speaking negatively about tariffs.

“Based on their egregious behavior, ALL TRADE NEGOTIATIONS WITH CANADA ARE HEREBY TERMINATED,” Trump wrote late on Thursday.

The US president has imposed a 35% levy on Canadian imports, although he has allowed exemptions for goods that fall under the USMCA – a free trade agreement with Mexico and Canada that Trump negotiated during his first term.

Trump said the video, sponsored by the Ontario government, was designed to “interfere with” the US Supreme Court, referring to an upcoming decision in November on whether Washington’s sweeping global tariffs are legal.

The court’s decision represents the biggest test of Trump’s presidential authority and signature economic policy, potentially forcing the US to refund billions collected in tariffs.

In the minute-long advert published last week, Reagan’s voice is heard narrating over images that include the New York Stock Exchange and cranes adorned with both US and Canadian flags.

The video excerpts a 1987 national radio address by Reagan that focused on foreign trade.

“When someone says ‘let’s impose tariffs on foreign imports’, it looks like they’re doing the patriotic thing by protecting American products and jobs. And sometimes, for a short while it works, but only for a short time,” Reagan says.

“But over the long run, such trade barriers hurt every American, worker and consumer.

“High tariffs inevitably lead to retaliation by foreign countries and the triggering of fierce trade wars… Markets shrink and collapse, businesses and industries shut down and millions of people lose their jobs,” Reagan adds.

In a post on X, the Ronald Reagan Foundation said that the Ontario government had used “selective audio and video” of the former US president’s remarks on tariffs.

“The Government of Ontario did not seek nor receive permission to use and edit the remarks,” the statement added.

The foundation said the advert “misrepresents” the former president’s address, without specifying why.

It said the foundation is “reviewing its legal options”.

In the post accompanying the video advert, Ontario Premier Doug Ford wrote that “we’ll never stop making the case against American tariffs on Canada.”

Ford, who leads Canada’s most populous province and its largest economy, has been a vocal critic of the US tariffs.

Ontario has been among the Canadian provinces hardest hit by the US tariffs, particularly in the car and steel industries.

Ford hit back at Trump’s earlier tariff threat against Canada by saying he was willing to cut off power supply to the US.

He had also described Washington’s trade policies against Canada as having pulled a knife and “yanked it into us”, and called on US lawmakers to put pressure on Trump.

The BBC has contacted the Canadian embassy in the US, the Government of Ontario and the office of Doug Ford for comment.

The advert was run as part of a campaign worth $75m Canadian dollars (£40m; $54m) on mainstream TV channels in the US.

Trump has also imposed sector-specific levies on Canadian goods, including 50% on metals and 25% on automobiles.

The White House’s global tariffs – particularly on steel, aluminium and cars – have hit Canada hard, forcing job losses and putting pressure on businesses.

China’s embassy in Washington also used a similar Reagan clip in a post on X to cast doubt on Trump’s global tariffs earlier this year.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Taiwan & Thucydides Trap: How close have the US and China come to conflict before?

AI image For decades, Taiwan has been one of the world’s most dangerous fault lines, a small island sitting at the centre of a growing rivalry between the world’s rising superpower and its reigning one. Read More

4 Killed, 8 Hurt As Gunman Opens Fire In Turkey

Four people were killed and eight injured after a gunman opened fire in Mersin, southern Turkey, including at a restaurant, and police have launched a manhunt for the assailant. Read More

Sanskrit Baby Names With ‘K’: Unique And Timeless Choices For Boys And Girls

Explore beautiful and meaningful options like Kairav, Kriday, Kavya and Keya, along with their rich cultural and spiritual significance. Read More

Twisha death case: CCTV shows her heading to terrace; husband, others attempting CPR later

NEW DELHI: A CCTV video has surfaced showing the final moments before Twisha Sharma was found dead at her marital home in Bhopal. Read More

Topics

Taiwan & Thucydides Trap: How close have the US and China come to conflict before?

AI image For decades, Taiwan has been one of the world’s most dangerous fault lines, a small island sitting at the centre of a growing rivalry between the world’s rising superpower and its reigning one. Read More

4 Killed, 8 Hurt As Gunman Opens Fire In Turkey

Four people were killed and eight injured after a gunman opened fire in Mersin, southern Turkey, including at a restaurant, and police have launched a manhunt for the assailant. Read More

Sanskrit Baby Names With ‘K’: Unique And Timeless Choices For Boys And Girls

Explore beautiful and meaningful options like Kairav, Kriday, Kavya and Keya, along with their rich cultural and spiritual significance. Read More

Twisha death case: CCTV shows her heading to terrace; husband, others attempting CPR later

NEW DELHI: A CCTV video has surfaced showing the final moments before Twisha Sharma was found dead at her marital home in Bhopal. Read More

‘World sees PM panic’: Rahul Gandhi on video of Norwegian journalist asking PM Modi to answer questions – video

NEW DELHI: Lok Sabha Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi on Monday shared a video from Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s visit to Norway where he could be seen walking away as a Norwegian journalist asked him to answer her question. Read More

‘Software Going To Be Free’: Anthropic CEO’s Big Prediction Sounds Alarm For Tech Firms

Amodei also warned that AI-driven productivity gains are accelerating far faster than previous technological revolutions and could fundamentally reshape the workforce. Read More

Suvendu Adhikari’s Bengal Policy Moves Trigger Massive Nationwide Political Row | The Right Stand

West Bengal Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari has triggered a major political storm with a series of rapid policy changes reversing several minority-focused initiatives introduced during the previous Mamata Banerjee-led government. Read More

Related Articles