Sunday, November 30, 2025
12.1 C
New Delhi

Afghanistan plunges into total telecom blackout as Taliban cuts internet

The Taliban government in Afghanistan has enforced a nationwide telecommunications blackout, following weeks of cutting off fibre-optic internet connections in an effort to curb what they describe as immorality

The Taliban government in Afghanistan has mandated a nationwide telecommunications shutdown, weeks after initiating the severing of high-speed fibre-optic internet connections to counter what they label “immorality.”

The internet monitoring group Netblocks confirmed that the country now faces a “total internet blackout,” which has also severely disrupted mobile internet and satellite TV.

International news agencies immediately reported losing contact with their Kabul offices.

Since reclaiming control in 2021, the Taliban have implemented various restrictions based on their strict interpretation of Islamic Sharia law. A Taliban official announced the telecom blackout would persist indefinitely. Tolo News, a local private channel, asked its audience to follow its social media for updates, anticipating disruptions to its broadcast networks.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

Additionally, local reports indicate that flights from Kabul airport have been disrupted, with live flight-tracking website Flightradar24 recording the cancellation of at least eight scheduled arrivals or departures on Tuesday.

Several Kabul residents told the BBC that their fibre-optic internet failed late Monday afternoon, around 5 pm local time. Consequently, many people won’t fully register the impact until Tuesday morning when banking and business services typically resume. Fibre-optic cables are essential for transmitting data quickly for much of the world’s internet.

In a post on social network Mastodon.social, Netblocks said:

“Afghanistan is now in the midst of a total internet blackout as Taliban authorities move to implement morality measures, with multiple networks disconnected through the morning in a stepwise manner; telephone services are currently also impacted”.

Post by @netblocks@mastodon.social

View on Mastodon

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

For weeks, people in various provinces had complained about slow or non-existent connectivity. Although the Taliban previously mentioned creating an alternative internet route, they offered no specifics.

Hamid Haidari, the former editor-in-chief of Afghan news channel 1TV, commented that the shutdown left “loneliness enveloped the entire country,” adding that Afghanistan had “officially taken first place in the competition with North Korea for [internet] disconnection” on X.

Mariam Solaimankhil, a former Afghan parliamentarian based in the US, also wrote on X, “The silence online without Afghan voices from inside Afghanistan is deafening.”

This sweeping communication ban is the latest in a string of bans since the Taliban’s return.

Earlier this month, they removed books authored by women from university syllabi, part of a new ban that also forbids teaching on human rights and sexual harassment. Women and girls are especially affected, being barred from education past age 12, with even midwifery courses quietly halted in late 2024. The Taliban regained control of Afghanistan in 2021 shortly after the withdrawal of US and international forces.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

“I’ll never win another streamer award”: Hasan talks about award show snubs

Image Via Instagram Hasan has once again sparked discussion across the streaming community after openly claiming that he will “never win another streamer award” despite remaining one of the biggest creators in North America. Read More

Mizkif faces criticism after suggesting his X Community be used for harassment

Image Via Instagram Mizkif has once again found himself at the center of controversy after comments made during a recent livestream, where he encouraged viewers to treat his new X Community as an unmoderated zone for hate, explicit i Read More

Influencer Niamh Cullen shares heartbreaking news as husband Jamie Gill dies at 33 after cancer fight

Influencer Niamh Cullen shares heartbreaking news as husband Jamie Gill dies at 33 after cancer fight (Image via Getty) Irish influencer Niamh Cullen shared the heartbreaking news that her husband, Jamie Gill, has died at age 33 aft Read More

Gunmen open fire at bar in Mexico, killing 7, injuring 5 amid gang tensions

Four victims died at the scene, and three more succumbed to their injuries in hospital. Read More

US lawmaker reintroduces HIRE Act to double H-1B visas amid political pushback

Democrat lawmaker Raja Krishnamoorthi has reintroduced the HIRE Act, a proposal to double the number of H-1B visas, as debates grow in the US over rising visa costs and the hiring of overseas workers. Read More

Topics

“I’ll never win another streamer award”: Hasan talks about award show snubs

Image Via Instagram Hasan has once again sparked discussion across the streaming community after openly claiming that he will “never win another streamer award” despite remaining one of the biggest creators in North America. Read More

Mizkif faces criticism after suggesting his X Community be used for harassment

Image Via Instagram Mizkif has once again found himself at the center of controversy after comments made during a recent livestream, where he encouraged viewers to treat his new X Community as an unmoderated zone for hate, explicit i Read More

Influencer Niamh Cullen shares heartbreaking news as husband Jamie Gill dies at 33 after cancer fight

Influencer Niamh Cullen shares heartbreaking news as husband Jamie Gill dies at 33 after cancer fight (Image via Getty) Irish influencer Niamh Cullen shared the heartbreaking news that her husband, Jamie Gill, has died at age 33 aft Read More

Gunmen open fire at bar in Mexico, killing 7, injuring 5 amid gang tensions

Four victims died at the scene, and three more succumbed to their injuries in hospital. Read More

US lawmaker reintroduces HIRE Act to double H-1B visas amid political pushback

Democrat lawmaker Raja Krishnamoorthi has reintroduced the HIRE Act, a proposal to double the number of H-1B visas, as debates grow in the US over rising visa costs and the hiring of overseas workers. Read More

Trump Warns Venezuela’s President Maduro To Quit Or Face Possible US Military Action: Report

US President Donald Trump has warned Venezuelan leader Nicolás Maduro to step down or risk potential American military action, a report says. Read More

Rahul Gandhi, Sonia Gandhi Named In Fresh FIR In National Herald Case

he police action comes after a complaint submitted by the Headquarters Investigative Unit (HIU) of the Enforcement Directorate. Read More

‘Marshal’: Karthi’s film shoot halted after technician dies in fall

Tragedy struck the sets of Karthi’s upcoming gangster film ‘Marshal’ in Sivagangai district, Tamil Nadu, as a technician tragically died after a fall from a wedding hall roof. Read More

Related Articles