Sunday, May 17, 2026
31.1 C
New Delhi

Drunk Man Returning From Bachelor Party Tries To Open UK-Bound Plane’s Door Mid-Air, Arrested

Curated By :

Last Updated:

The man, who was leading a stag party, was arrested along with two others and could spend five years in prison for causing trouble on a flight.

In this representative AI-generated illustration, police officers are seen restraining unruly passengers aboard a flight that was diverted after a mid-air disruption. (IMAGE: IMAGEN 4/NEWS18)

In this representative AI-generated illustration, police officers are seen restraining unruly passengers aboard a flight that was diverted after a mid-air disruption. (IMAGE: IMAGEN 4/NEWS18)

A UK man is facing up to five years in prison after he attempted to ‘open the doors’ of a packed Ryanair plane headed to the UK while it was in mid-flight.

According to the Daily Mail, who first reported the incident, French elite special forces police had to be called to the airport in Toulouse to drag off the drunk men.

Recommended Stories

The incident happened last Friday aboard a flight travelling to London-Luton Airport from Alicante, in the south of Spain. Due to the chaos inside the plane, the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing in France’s Toulouse after the man made the threat.

“He was next to an emergency door and trying to open it. It was terrifying for everybody else on the flight. The pilot had no other option except to land the plane,” an official was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.

Their report said that the cabin crew and fellow passengers had attempted to calm the group and parents aboard the flight urged that they watch their language as there were children aboard.

When the plane landed at the Toulouse-Blagnac Airport, a unit of the Air Transport Gendarmerie Company (CGTA) stormed on board and removed the man. Four officers restrained him and placed him in handcuffs.

“When it became clear that the majority of the group, excluding the stag himself, were being removed from the aircraft, tensions escalated further,” a passenger told the newspaper, highlighting that the would-be groom steered clear of his companions who were causing a ruckus inside the flight.

“He was very drunk and was taken to a Border Police cell to sober up. His blood alcohol level was so high that it was a number of hours before he could be spoken to. Around four of his friends were taken off the flight at the same time, and arrested. The principal accused is now at the centre of a judicial enquiry, and faces trial and a punishment of up to five years,” an official told the paper.

The report said that the flight took off 45 minutes later after the unruly passengers were deboarded.

“Two rowdy bachelor party boys started fighting several times, ignored the crew and refused to sit down. They shouldn’t have even boarded the plane – they were openly drinking duty-free in the departure lounge and could barely stand up,” a passenger told the news outlet.

The trouble began when two men agreed to leave the aircraft, but tensions escalated after another passenger in a baseball cap refused to comply. “No, no, no, no, it’s not possible,” he shouted before leaping from his seat.

As officers restrained him, his son protested: “He didn’t start that, they started it, my dad did not start that.” While police handcuffed his father, the son pleaded: “That’s my dad,” before being pulled from his seat as well.

Passenger Tania Nichols, who filmed the incident, said the group had been “loud and unruly” even before take-off, swapping seats, ignoring safety rules, and later drinking duty-free alcohol. She claimed one man harassed her friend, while others fought, spat on seats, and even put their feet on headrests. “One woman was even kicked in the head,” she said.

Nichols added that cabin crew handled the ordeal “with grace and professionalism” and deserved recognition.

Passengers cheered as the men were removed by French police. Ryanair confirmed the diversion, saying it has a zero-tolerance policy for such behavior.

In France, 40 drunk incidents per 1,000 flights were reported by French airlines last year in 2024, compared to 30 in 2021, according to figures by French Civil Aviation Authority (DGAC).

About the Author

Shankhyaneel Sarkar
Shankhyaneel Sarkar

Shankhyaneel Sarkar is a senior subeditor at News18. He covers international affairs, where he focuses on breaking news to in-depth analyses. He has over five years of experience during which he has covered sev…Read More

Shankhyaneel Sarkar is a senior subeditor at News18. He covers international affairs, where he focuses on breaking news to in-depth analyses. He has over five years of experience during which he has covered sev… Read More

News world Drunk Man Returning From Bachelor Party Tries To Open UK-Bound Plane’s Door Mid-Air, Arrested
Disclaimer: Comments reflect users’ views, not News18’s. Please keep discussions respectful and constructive. Abusive, defamatory, or illegal comments will be removed. News18 may disable any comment at its discretion. By posting, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Loading comments…

Read More

Go to Source

Hot this week

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

‘Michael’ reclaims box office crown; crosses USD 700 million mark

After two weeks trailing ‘The Devil Wears Prada 2’, the Michael Jackson biopic ‘Michael’ reclaimed the No. 1 spot at the North American box office with USD 26. Read More

Topics

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

PM Modi’s visit to Netherlands secures 17 strategic pacts

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi’s visit to the Netherlands ended Sunday with 17 outcomes in all, including agreements on migration and mobility, green hydrogen and defence cooperation. Read More

Cate Blanchett on #MeToo: ‘It got killed very quickly’- WATCH

Cate Blanchett said the #MeToo movement “got killed very quickly” in Hollywood, speaking Sunday at the Cannes Film Festival. Read More

‘Michael’ reclaims box office crown; crosses USD 700 million mark

After two weeks trailing ‘The Devil Wears Prada 2’, the Michael Jackson biopic ‘Michael’ reclaimed the No. 1 spot at the North American box office with USD 26. Read More

Barbra Streisand skips Cannes Palme d’Or ceremony after injury

Barbra Streisand announced on Sunday that she will not attend the Cannes Film Festival ‘s closing ceremony later this week where she was to receive an honorary Palme d’Or, after sustaining a knee injury. Read More

Shekhar Suman slams stand-up comedians of today for vulgur comedy

Shekhar Suman has expressed disappointment over the current state of stand-up comedy, saying many modern comedians depend heavily on abusive language and vulgar humour instead of strong writing. Read More

China committed to US on not providing material support to Iran: US trade representative

Washington, May 18 (PTI): US Trade Representative Jamieson Greer has said that President Donald Trump secured a commitment from China not to “provide material support to Iran. Read More

Related Articles