Wednesday, May 20, 2026
40.1 C
New Delhi

‘Vile attack’: Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemns latest Russian offensive; discusses weapons initiative with Nato chief

‘Vile attack’: Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemns latest Russian offensive; discusses weapons initiative with Nato chief

Volodymyr Zelenskyy (ANI)

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said on Saturday that he spoke with Nato secretary general Mark Rutte to discuss Russia’s latest “vile” offensive and efforts to strengthen Ukraine’s defence capabilities.Zelenskyy also highlighted discussions on the PURL (Prioritised Ukraine Requirements List) initiative, a program designed to help Kyiv acquire weapons systems to protect its citizens.“I spoke with @/SecGenNATO Mark Rutte and thanked him for all the support. I shared details of today’s vile Russian strike – attack drones, missiles, including ballistic ones. We discussed the PURL initiative, which we deeply value. It is already moving forward well,” Zelenskyy said through a post on X. A Russian aerial assault lasting more than 12 hours killed at least four people and injured more than 70 across Ukraine, officials said.Zelenskyy said that all four fatalities occurred in Kyiv, where many of the strikes were concentrated. Among the victims was a 12-year-old girl.The attack, involving nearly 600 drones and dozens of missiles targeting seven regions, was described as one of the most intense barrages in recent months. Ukraine’s defence minister Igor Klymenko said the strikes damaged more than 100 civilian sites nationwide, leaving entire neighborhoods in ruins. Emergency services reported that an attack on Kyiv’s Institute of Cardiology killed a nurse and a patient, as cited by the BBC. Zelenskyy added that a major bakery, a rubber factory, apartment buildings, and other civilian infrastructure were also hit.Russia has escalated its aerial campaign against Ukraine through the spring and summer of 2025, and officials are warning citizens to prepare for renewed mass strikes on energy infrastructure as winter approaches, as reported by the Kyiv Independent.Earlier in September, Moscow carried out a record attack involving more than 810 Shahed-type drones and 13 missiles, one of which struck the Cabinet of Ministers building in central Kyiv. Two nights later, Russian forces launched another assault that hit Ukraine and breached Polish airspace.That incident marked the first time a Nato member has downed Russian drones since the start of the full-scale war.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Not our responsibility’: Prasar Bharati on FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India

Prasar Bharati has reportedly told the Delhi High Court that it is not responsible for acquiring FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India amid continuing uncertainty over the TV deal. Read More

Scotland: Jenny Gilruth expected to become Deputy First Minister in new SNP team

Scotland: Jenny Gilruth expected to become Deputy First Minister in new SNP team Scotland cabinet secretary John Swinney is expected to name Jenny Gilruth as Scotland’s deputy First Minister, as he restructures the SNP Cabinet after Read More

PM Modi conferred FAO’s highest honour Agricola Medal, dedicates award to ‘annadata’ of India

PM Modi on Wednesday received the Food and Agriculture Organization’s Agricola Medal in Rome, calling it an honour for India’s farmers, livestock rearers and agricultural workers while highlighting the country’s cultural and policy commitment to food Read More

‘Giving It A Shot’: Trump Says Iran Talks Near ‘Final Stages’, Warns Of Fresh Strikes If No Deal Reached

Trump has repeatedly insisted that Iran must agree to strict terms limiting its military and nuclear capabilities. Read More

From 1 To 10: Kerala Ministers Get Official Car Numbers | Check Who Got What

Chief Minister V. D. Satheesan has been allotted the official vehicle bearing the red-coloured plate “Kerala State 1”, traditionally reserved for the head of the government. Read More

Topics

‘Not our responsibility’: Prasar Bharati on FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India

Prasar Bharati has reportedly told the Delhi High Court that it is not responsible for acquiring FIFA World Cup 2026 broadcast rights in India amid continuing uncertainty over the TV deal. Read More

Scotland: Jenny Gilruth expected to become Deputy First Minister in new SNP team

Scotland: Jenny Gilruth expected to become Deputy First Minister in new SNP team Scotland cabinet secretary John Swinney is expected to name Jenny Gilruth as Scotland’s deputy First Minister, as he restructures the SNP Cabinet after Read More

PM Modi conferred FAO’s highest honour Agricola Medal, dedicates award to ‘annadata’ of India

PM Modi on Wednesday received the Food and Agriculture Organization’s Agricola Medal in Rome, calling it an honour for India’s farmers, livestock rearers and agricultural workers while highlighting the country’s cultural and policy commitment to food Read More

‘Giving It A Shot’: Trump Says Iran Talks Near ‘Final Stages’, Warns Of Fresh Strikes If No Deal Reached

Trump has repeatedly insisted that Iran must agree to strict terms limiting its military and nuclear capabilities. Read More

From 1 To 10: Kerala Ministers Get Official Car Numbers | Check Who Got What

Chief Minister V. D. Satheesan has been allotted the official vehicle bearing the red-coloured plate “Kerala State 1”, traditionally reserved for the head of the government. Read More

MS Dhoni’s ‘Love’ For CSK Questioned By Former CSK Legend: ‘Love Was Not Visible’

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Ashwin observed Dhoni’s lap of honor lacked visible happiness. He questioned Dhoni’s absence from previous home matches. Read More

78-year-old UK great-grandmother left shaken after utility firm mistakenly declares her dead over £60 bill

A UK utility company mistakenly declared a 78-year-old great-grandmother dead over an unpaid £60 bill/Image: X, Metro UK A 78-year-old great-grandmother in the UK was sent a debt collection letter addressed to the executor of her es Read More

Related Articles