Sunday, February 22, 2026
28.1 C
New Delhi

Argentina: Triple murder live-streamed on social media sparks massive protests in Buenos Aires

Morena Verdi and her cousin Brenda del Castillo (both 20), as well as 15-year-old Lara Gutierrez, were found buried in the yard of a home in a Buenos Aires southern suburb.

Thousands of demonstrators in Buenos Aires clashed with police while protesting the torture and murder of two young women and a teenager—a crime that was allegedly recorded and livestreamed on social media by a drug gang.

Authorities reported that thousands took to the streets on Saturday to protest the killings that shook Argentina, after it was disclosed that the murders were live-streamed on Instagram and viewed by 45 members of a private account.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The bodies of cousins Morena Verdi and Brenda del Castillo, both 20 years old, along with 15-year-old Lara Gutierrez, were discovered buried in the yard of a house in a southern Buenos Aires suburb on Wednesday, five days after they disappeared.

Investigators stated that the victims, believing they were headed to a party, were tricked into entering a van on September 19. This was reportedly part of a scheme to “punish” them for breaking gang rules and to serve as a warning to others.

According to Javier Alonso, the security minister for Buenos Aires province, police found a video of the triple murder after a suspect linked to the disappearance confessed during questioning.

Argentinian media detailed the horrific abuse the victims suffered—including being beaten, suffocated, and having their fingers and nails removed—as the gang leader in the footage announced, “This is what happens to those who steal drugs from me.”

While the majority of Saturday’s demonstrators marched peacefully, a smaller group clashed with police, who responded aggressively by using batons and shields to push them away.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

The families of the victims marched with thousands of supporters toward the Argentinian parliament, carrying a banner listing their loved ones’ names—Lara, Brenda, Morena—alongside placards displaying their pictures.

“Women must be protected more than ever,” Brenda’s father, Leonel del Castillo, said during the protest, as reported by AFP. He had previously expressed that he was unable to identify his daughter’s body due to the extent of the torture and murder she endured.

Antonio del Castillo, the grandfather of the 20-year-old cousins, was also visibly emotional and described the perpetrators as “bloodthirsty.” “You wouldn’t do what they did to them to an animal,” he said.

As they marched, the protesters beat drums and condemned the “inaction” of President Javier Milei’s administration, slamming what they described as the increasing influence of drug cartels in the country.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW THIS AD

On Friday, National Security Minister Patricia Bullrich announced a fifth arrest in the case, bringing the total number of suspects to three men and two women.

This newest suspect, a woman, was apprehended in the Bolivian border city of Villazon for allegedly providing a getaway vehicle.

Meanwhile, authorities have released a photograph of the alleged 20-year-old Peruvian mastermind, who is still at large.

Separately, Meta, Instagram’s parent company, has disputed reports that the murders were livestreamed on its platform, according to an AFP report citing a company spokesperson.

End of Article

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘So It’s A Loss?’: How Trump Reacted After Learning Of Tariff Blow During White House Meeting

Shortly afterwards, Trump cut short a question-and-answer session and left the meeting, saying he needed to prepare a response. Read More

Karnataka Govt Considers Ban On Mobile Phones For Students Under 16 Over Addiction Fears

If approved, Karnataka would join countries like Australia that have introduced measures to curb digital addiction among school students. Read More

Raj Kundra ditches face mask after securing bail in bitcoin case

Businessman Raj Kundra, granted bail in the alleged bitcoin scam case, expressed faith in the Indian judiciary and criticized media sensationalism. After his release, he said “Satyamev Jayate,” emphasizing truth will prevail. Read More

Akshay Kumar led’Welcome To The Jungle’ to shoot a grand post-credit song

One of the most anticipated Bollywood entertainers, ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, is set to hit theatres on June 26, 2026. The multi-starrer comedy is now in its final stage of production. Read More

Topics

‘So It’s A Loss?’: How Trump Reacted After Learning Of Tariff Blow During White House Meeting

Shortly afterwards, Trump cut short a question-and-answer session and left the meeting, saying he needed to prepare a response. Read More

Karnataka Govt Considers Ban On Mobile Phones For Students Under 16 Over Addiction Fears

If approved, Karnataka would join countries like Australia that have introduced measures to curb digital addiction among school students. Read More

Raj Kundra ditches face mask after securing bail in bitcoin case

Businessman Raj Kundra, granted bail in the alleged bitcoin scam case, expressed faith in the Indian judiciary and criticized media sensationalism. After his release, he said “Satyamev Jayate,” emphasizing truth will prevail. Read More

Akshay Kumar led’Welcome To The Jungle’ to shoot a grand post-credit song

One of the most anticipated Bollywood entertainers, ‘Welcome to the Jungle’, is set to hit theatres on June 26, 2026. The multi-starrer comedy is now in its final stage of production. Read More

Is Akshay Kumar joining ‘Golmaal 5’? Arshad Warsi drops a massive hint

One of Bollywood’s most anticipated comedies, ‘Golmaal 5’, is expected to begin shooting soon. Directed by Rohit Shetty, the film continues the hugely popular franchise led by Ajay Devgn. Read More

Nearly 300 drones, 50 missiles: Russia unleashes massive overnight assault on Ukraine, energy sites hit

Russia launched a large-scale missile and drone attack on Ukraine overnight, killing one person in the Kyiv region and damaging energy infrastructure in the south, AP reported, citing Ukrainian officials. Read More

Brazil’s Lula ‘very touched’ by musical tribute in India during lunch with PM Modi

During his state visit to India, Brazilian President Lula da Silva said he was deeply moved by a musical tribute that reminded him of a surprise he had arranged for PM Modi during the latter’s visit to Brazil last year. Read More

Related Articles