Thursday, May 21, 2026
35.1 C
New Delhi

Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda

Ebola outbreak: Centre reviews preparedness as death toll crosses 100 in DR Congo, Uganda

.

NEW DELHI: Union health secretary Punya Salila Srivastava on Wednesday chaired a high-level meeting with health secretaries of all states and Union territories to review preparedness and response measures against Ebola virus disease, following the World Health Organisation’s declaration of the outbreak as a Public Health Emergency of International Concern (PHEIC).The review comes as Ebola cases in Uganda and DR Congo has crossed the death toll of 100 people.The meeting focused on strengthening surveillance, screening, quarantine protocols and hospital readiness, even as the Centre confirmed that no Ebola case has been detected in the country so far.The Union health ministry said the country has stepped up precautionary measures in view of the Ebola outbreak reported in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, news agency ANI reported.During the review meeting, states and UTs were asked to ensure preparedness at every level of the healthcare system. The Centre has already circulated detailed Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) covering pre-arrival and post-arrival screening, quarantine procedures, laboratory testing, case management and referral mechanisms.The Union health secretary stressed the need for coordinated surveillance, timely reporting and readiness of designated healthcare facilities to deal with any potential threat. Ministries and departments concerned have also been sensitised and are working in coordination with the health ministry on preventive and surveillance measures.The ministry underlined that India has prior experience in handling Ebola-related preparedness, pointing to the 2014 Ebola outbreak in Africa when similar precautionary measures were implemented successfully.The Centre also urged citizens not to panic and advised them to continue following official health advisories and updates.The WHO has reported that a total of 528 suspected Ebola cases, including 132 deaths, had been recorded in the DRC and Uganda as of May 18.The outbreak in the two African countries has been linked to the Bundibugyo virus strain. According to WHO data, 668 contacts have been identified so far, including 541 in the DRC and 127 in Uganda.The global health body said monitoring of contacts has remained difficult in certain parts of the DRC due to insecurity and movement restrictions.WHO, in a statement, has stated that of the 12 suspected cases reported from Uganda, two were confirmed through laboratory testing, while the rest tested negative.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Mystery substance scare: 3 dead, first responders quarantined over toxic exposure in US

New Mexico State Police respond to home in Mountainair, where authorities say several people died and more than a dozen first responders were exposed to an unknown substance (AP) Three people died and more than a dozen first responde Read More

Israel Built A Hamas Kill List After Oct 7. Then, It Launched A High-Tech Mission To Bring Them Down

The campaign relies heavily on surveillance technology, intercepted communications and digital evidence left behind by the attackers themselves Go to Source Read More

The New Inheritance Debate Is About Your Phone, Photos And Passwords

An Indian court case involving access to a deceased man’s Apple account is raising questions about digital inheritance, online memories, and who owns our digital lives after death Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which Country Consumes The Most Number Of Samosas In The World?

In this country, the classic classic chai–samosa combination thrives with people eating around 3.42 million samosas and 2.9 million cups of adrak chai. Read More

After Bihar poll drubbing, Prashant Kishor opts for ashram life till next polls

NEW DELHI: Jan Suraaj founder Prashant Kishor on Wednesday said that he had moved to an ashram on the outskirts of Patna till the next assembly polls in Bihar. Read More

Topics

Mystery substance scare: 3 dead, first responders quarantined over toxic exposure in US

New Mexico State Police respond to home in Mountainair, where authorities say several people died and more than a dozen first responders were exposed to an unknown substance (AP) Three people died and more than a dozen first responde Read More

Israel Built A Hamas Kill List After Oct 7. Then, It Launched A High-Tech Mission To Bring Them Down

The campaign relies heavily on surveillance technology, intercepted communications and digital evidence left behind by the attackers themselves Go to Source Read More

The New Inheritance Debate Is About Your Phone, Photos And Passwords

An Indian court case involving access to a deceased man’s Apple account is raising questions about digital inheritance, online memories, and who owns our digital lives after death Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

GK: Which Country Consumes The Most Number Of Samosas In The World?

In this country, the classic classic chai–samosa combination thrives with people eating around 3.42 million samosas and 2.9 million cups of adrak chai. Read More

After Bihar poll drubbing, Prashant Kishor opts for ashram life till next polls

NEW DELHI: Jan Suraaj founder Prashant Kishor on Wednesday said that he had moved to an ashram on the outskirts of Patna till the next assembly polls in Bihar. Read More

Ebola Scare In Delhi? IGI Airport Issues Health Alert For International Travellers

Ebola is a rare but serious viral disease that can spread between humans and has a high death rate in severe cases. Read More

After Schools, Bengal Makes Vande Mataram Mandatory In All Madarsas

West Bengal government orders all madarsas under West Bengal Madrasah Education Board to make Vande Mataram compulsory. Read More

Related Articles