Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Sathankulam custodial deaths: 9 cops convicted 5 years after father, son killed in Tamil Nadu

Sathankulam custodial deaths: 9 cops convicted 5 years after father, son killed in Tamil Nadu

.

A court in Tamil Nadu on Monday found all nine accused policemen guilty in the 2020 custodial torture and deaths of a father and son in Sathankulam.The First Additional District and Sessions Court in Madurai delivered its judgment in the case related to the deaths of P Jeyaraj and his son J Beniks, who died after alleged custodial torture in Sathankulam in Thoothukudi district in June 2020.Ten policemen, who were subsequently placed under suspension, were arrested in connection with the case. The accused included inspector Sridhar; sub-inspectors Balakrishnan and Raghu Ganesh; head constables Murugan and A Samadurai; and constables M. Muthuraja, S Chelladurai, X Thomas Francis and S Vailmuthu, along with special sub-inspector Paldurai. They were lodged in Madurai Central Prison following their arrest.

Israel Iran War

Paldurai later died of Covid-19.The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which took over the probe, filed its chargesheet against the remaining nine policemen on September 25, 2020. A supplementary chargesheet was submitted on August 12, 2022 after further investigation.The CBI said that Beniks had gone to the Sathankulam police station after his father, Jeyaraj, was detained there, seeking an explanation for the detention. According to the agency, a scuffle broke out between Beniks and the policemen, following which inspector Sridhar allegedly intervened and directed the officers to teach him a lesson on “how to behave with police.”The CBI alleged that both Jeyaraj and Beniks were then subjected to repeated rounds of custodial torture, during which their clothes were removed, further intensifying the brutality.The investigation also found that the following morning, Sridhar allegedly instructed a sweeper to clean the floor of the main hall and other areas of the police station in an attempt to destroy evidence. The agency said the victims’ blood-stained clothes were changed twice before they were taken to the hospital, and again at the hospital before they were produced for remand. The discarded clothes were allegedly thrown into a hospital dustbin to eliminate evidence.The probe further revealed that Jeyaraj and Beniks had not violated Covid-19 lockdown norms and that no altercation had taken place between them and the police on Kamarajar Salai in Sathankulam on the evening of June 19. According to the CBI, a false case had been registered against the two men.A total of 105 witnesses were examined in the case, including Selvarani, the wife of Jeyaraj, and R Revathi, who was then serving as a woman head constable at the Sathankulam police station, as cited by PTI.The court also examined 116 documents as evidence, including the judicial inquiry reports related to the deaths of Jeyaraj and Beniks.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

Topics

‘Perhaps Iran will join Abraham Accords’: Trump says won’t rush deal, Iran talks proceeding constructively

Trump insisted that US would not rush into a final agreement with Tehran amid growing expectations of a possible deal. Read More

Falta repoll result 2026: BJP’s Debangshu Panda wins with nearly 1.5 lakh votes, TMC’s Jahangir Khan restricted to 7k

Falta assembly constituency Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Debangshu Panda won the repoll in Falta by a massive margin of 1,09,021 votes, defeating Communist Party of India (Marxist) candidate Sambhu Nath Kurmi. Read More

NTA Postpones May 28 CUET-UG Exam Over Eid Holiday Change, New Date To Be Out Soon

NTA said the tests planned for both shifts on May 28 stand postponed in view of the updated holiday issued by the Government of India. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

India–US Boost Strategic Ties in Hyderabad House Talks on Trade, Defence & Security Cooperation

In a pivotal meeting at Hyderabad House, India and the U.S. advanced their strategic partnership, focusing on trade, defense, and counter-terrorism. External Affairs Minister Dr. S. J. Shankar and U.S. Read More

Brendan Wayne talks about ‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’

‘The Mandalorian and Grogu’ star Brendan Wayne is following in his grandfather John Wayne’s footsteps with his ‘Star Wars’ character. Read More

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

Related Articles