Sunday, February 22, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Leaked message claims cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline

Mexico mayhem after El Mencho killed: Cartel threatens violence against civilians, sets deadline in 'leaked message'

As several states in Mexico erupted in unprecedented chaos as the Jalisco New Generation Cartel, CJNG, retaliated the death of their boss El Mencho, a leaked message claimed that the cartel has ordered its cadre to be prepared for an all-out war. The authenticity of the leaked message has not been verified. According to claims, the cartel said they would storm hotels, houses and will target civilians unless the killers of El Mencho are handed over to the cartel. Only children will be spared from their retribution, the leaked message claimed.

How was El Mencho killed?

Mexican newspapers reported that the Mexican military took El Mencho down in an operation aimed at arresting him. But several US commentators claimed that it was obvious that US was part of the arrest as US had been pressuring Mexico to nab the drug lord. No details of how the drug lord was killed have been offered. Unofficial reports claimed that during the operation, a gunflight ensued which led to the death of the 59-year-old cartel leader.

What is happening in Puerto Vallarta?

Major unrest was reported from the seaside city of Puerto Vallarta, which attracts a lot of tourists. The tourists were asked to stay inside their resorts as incidents of road blockades and arson were reported. Public transport was suspended, and businesses were also closed. Governor of neighboring state Michoacán, Alfredo Bedolla, also reported that 13 municipalities were experiencing similar unrest throughout the state. Newspaper Milenio reported further unrest in the states of Veracruz, Guanajuato, Colima, Tamaulipas, Aguascalientes and Guerrero.Mexico’s federal Security Ministry has announced measures to quell the unrest and said their priority is to “ensure the security and protection of citizens”, Mexico News Daily reported. Airlines of US and Canada suspended their operations as airports reported the first attacks from El Mencho’s cartel.

Full statement of Mexico Govt on eliminating El Mencho

“DEFENSA informs the public that, through central military intelligence efforts, from the National Intelligence Center and the Attorney General’s Office (FEMDO), Special Forces of the Mexican Army planned and executed an operation in Tapalpa, Jal., in which various aircraft from the Air Force and the National Guard’s Immediate Reaction Special Force intervened to achieve the detention of Ruben “N” (a) Mencho.During this operation, military personnel were attacked, so in defense of their integrity they repelled the aggression, resulting in four members of the “CJNG” criminal group dead at the scene and three seriously injured, who lost their lives during their transfer via air to Mexico City; among the latter is Ruben “N” (a) Mencho, however, the corresponding authorities will handle the expert activities for their identification.In addition to the above, two other members of this criminal organization were detained and various weaponry and armored vehicles were seized, including rocket launchers capable of downing aircraft and destroying armored vehicles.Unfortunately during this military action, three members of the institution were injured, who were likewise transferred to healthcare facilities in Mexico City for their urgent medical attention.It should be noted that, for the execution of this operation, in addition to the central military intelligence efforts, within the framework of bilateral coordination and cooperation with the USA, complementary information was provided by authorities from that country.At this time, elements of the National Guard and troops from the Army in central Mexico and states adjacent to Jalisco are concentrating to reinforce the security of this federal entity.With these actions, the Secretariat of National Defense reaffirms its commitment to contribute to the strengthening of Mexico’s security.” Go to Source

Hot this week

Used our talent to serve others: Pitroda; another case of Cong bashing India: BJP

NEW DELHI: Indian Overseas Congress head Sam Pitroda’s comments that India’s raw talent in the IT sector ended up serving others while the country itself could not leverage it drew sharp criticism from BJP, which called i Read More

DPI to daily life: India’s AI pitch goes beyond code

. NEW DELHI: At the India AI Impact Summit 2026 which concluded this week, the buzz wasn’t just about algorithms; it was also about an aroma. Read More

Pilot duty exemptions weigh in heavy on DGCA’s summer plan

Representative image NEW DELHI: Aviation authorities have begun the process of determining how many flights — both domestic and international — will operate this summer. Read More

Beware of digital fraud, do KYC via official channels: PM in ‘Mann Ki Baat’

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday issued a blunt warning against the growing menace of digital fraud and so-called “digital arrest” scams, flagging how ordinary people — from senior citizens to families saving for chil Read More

1.2 lakh new seats planned in 1,000 upgraded ITIs

Representative image NEW DELHI: Around 1. Read More

Topics

Used our talent to serve others: Pitroda; another case of Cong bashing India: BJP

NEW DELHI: Indian Overseas Congress head Sam Pitroda’s comments that India’s raw talent in the IT sector ended up serving others while the country itself could not leverage it drew sharp criticism from BJP, which called i Read More

DPI to daily life: India’s AI pitch goes beyond code

. NEW DELHI: At the India AI Impact Summit 2026 which concluded this week, the buzz wasn’t just about algorithms; it was also about an aroma. Read More

Pilot duty exemptions weigh in heavy on DGCA’s summer plan

Representative image NEW DELHI: Aviation authorities have begun the process of determining how many flights — both domestic and international — will operate this summer. Read More

Beware of digital fraud, do KYC via official channels: PM in ‘Mann Ki Baat’

NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday issued a blunt warning against the growing menace of digital fraud and so-called “digital arrest” scams, flagging how ordinary people — from senior citizens to families saving for chil Read More

1.2 lakh new seats planned in 1,000 upgraded ITIs

Representative image NEW DELHI: Around 1. Read More

Zelensky tells BBC Putin has started WW3 and must be stopped

“If this is a condition for ending the war, let’s do it. I said, ‘honestly, you constantly raise the issue of elections’. Read More

Rajaji statue to replace Lutyens’ at Prez house that he designed

NEW DELHI: Architect of New Delhi Edwin Lutyens’ legacy in independent India came to symbolise a rarefied milieu inhabited by those with an enviable mix of power, pedigree and influence. Read More

Related Articles