Monday, May 18, 2026
29.1 C
New Delhi

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

UK MP seeks treason probe into Prince Andrew over Epstein links, govt eyes removal from royal succession

A senior Conservative MP has called for a possible treason investigation into Prince Andrew after his arrest over alleged links with disgraced financier Jeffrey Epstein, as the UK government signalled it is considering removing him from the royal line of succession.Former security minister Tom Tugendhat urged Parliament to establish a special committee comprising lawmakers, civilians and retired judges to examine Andrew’s relationship with Epstein and assess whether national security may have been compromised.“This affair raises urgent questions about foreign influence and national security,” Tugendhat said, adding that Parliament must determine whether existing treason laws are sufficient if serious wrongdoing is proven.Andrew, 66, was arrested last week on suspicion of misconduct in public office and questioned for several hours by police over allegations that he shared sensitive information with Epstein during his tenure as the UK’s trade envoy. Police have continued searches at his former residence, Royal Lodge in Windsor Great Park, as part of the ongoing investigation. He has denied any wrongdoing.The controversy has also drawn in Peter Mandelson, a former UK ambassador to the United States, who is accused of leaking confidential government documents to Epstein between 2009 and 2010. Mandelson has denied the allegations and has not been arrested, though he is reportedly under investigation for potential misconduct in public office.Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson said the government was “not ruling anything out” regarding further action, including a judge-led inquiry, but stressed that authorities must allow police to complete their investigation.The government is also keeping open the option of introducing legislation to remove Andrew from the royal line of succession, a move that would require parliamentary approval and the formal consent of King Charles III.Andrew currently remains eighth in line to the throne despite having stepped back from royal duties. In a statement after his brother’s arrest, King Charles said “the law must take its course” and pledged full cooperation with investigators.The escalating crisis has triggered cross-party calls for accountability, with lawmakers warning that the outcome could have significant implications for public trust in Britain’s institutions and the future of the monarchy.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Karuppu’ BO day 3: Crosses Rs 120.75 crore worldwide

FB Suriya has delivered a powerful box office comeback with ‘Karuppu’ which is directed by RJ Balaji. Read More

Alia returns home from Cannes; Ranbir rocks new look

After taking over the Cannes red carpet, Alia Bhatt returned home to Mumbai on Sunday night. The actress kept her look summer-ready in a casual tee and track pants with a cap on her head. Read More

Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls

Iranian media reports the US has not made concrete concessions in response to Tehran’s latest proposals. Read More

‘Dangerous escalation’: India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

NEW DELHI: Ministry of external affairs on Sunday expressed deep concern after Iranian strikes targeted the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Read More

Gucci takes over Times Square for cruise show as Kering eyes revival

By Reuters Published May 18, 2026 Gucci’s ⁠creative director Demna presented his first Cruise collection for the Italian luxury brand on Saturday night in New York, transforming Times Square into a runway as owner Kering seeks to r Read More

Topics

‘Karuppu’ BO day 3: Crosses Rs 120.75 crore worldwide

FB Suriya has delivered a powerful box office comeback with ‘Karuppu’ which is directed by RJ Balaji. Read More

Alia returns home from Cannes; Ranbir rocks new look

After taking over the Cannes red carpet, Alia Bhatt returned home to Mumbai on Sunday night. The actress kept her look summer-ready in a casual tee and track pants with a cap on her head. Read More

Trump warns ‘clock is ticking’ for Iran as peace progress stalls

Iranian media reports the US has not made concrete concessions in response to Tehran’s latest proposals. Read More

‘Dangerous escalation’: India expresses concern after Iranian strikes target UAE nuclear facility

NEW DELHI: Ministry of external affairs on Sunday expressed deep concern after Iranian strikes targeted the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, calling the attack a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in the Read More

Gucci takes over Times Square for cruise show as Kering eyes revival

By Reuters Published May 18, 2026 Gucci’s ⁠creative director Demna presented his first Cruise collection for the Italian luxury brand on Saturday night in New York, transforming Times Square into a runway as owner Kering seeks to r Read More

Bob Odenkirk recalls death scare: ‘I was gone. I turned grey’

Bob Odenkirk is opening up like never before about his near-death experience while filming the final season of ‘Better Call Saul’. Read More

Trump Likely To Convene Situation Room Meeting As Iran Threatens US Gulf Bases

Donald Trump to hold Situation Room meeting on Tuesday with top US security officials to weigh military options against Iran amid rising tensions over its nuclear program Go to Source Read More

Dutch PM Rob Jetten raises 2016 abduction case

Dutch PM Rob Jetten pressed India for the return of a young girl who was allegedly abducted by her father in 2016, when she was two years old, from Amsterdam and brought to India. Read More

Related Articles