Sunday, February 22, 2026
28.1 C
New Delhi

Lamborghini to stick with plug-in hybrids, India may benefit from EV delay



<p>Chairman and CEO at Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A. <span class=

“/>

Chairman and CEO at Automobili Lamborghini S.p.A.

Lamborghini will continue to focus on plug-in hybrid technology instead of fully electric vehicles in the near future, according to CEO Stephan Winkelmann. Speaking during a recent media interaction, Winkelmann explained that the brand’s future product strategy will remain centred on performance-oriented electrification rather than full battery-electric models, while also highlighting India’s growth potential.

Winkelmann said Lamborghini’s decision to avoid fully electric cars for now is deliberate and based on customer expectations and market realities. He explained that Lamborghini’s global approach does not allow region-specific technologies.

“Our strategy always has to be the same all over the globe,” he said, adding that Lamborghini customers expect consistent technology and brand identity regardless of the market.

Confirming the company’s electrification roadmap, Winkelmann said Lamborghini will continue with plug-in hybrids across the lineup. The company has plans to launch four new models by 2030. “The four cars will be plug-in hybrid cars and the last one, which was still an electric car, was the GT car. But we decided not to do this,” he said.

According to him, fully electric models will only be reconsidered after the end of this decade. “Then we will see after 2030 when the market is ready or when there is a need to make the first electric car,” he said.

India to benefit from hybrid-first approach

Winkelmann indicated that Lamborghini’s decision to avoid full electrification in the near term could work in India’s favour. “The fact that we are not going fully electric is an advantage for the Indian market, for sure,” he said.

However, he noted that future growth in India will depend significantly on policy developments such as potential import duty reductions under the proposed FTA between India and the European Union. “If there is a reduction in the import taxation or import tax, this is going to help the growth of the market also for our type of cars,” he explained.

Until there is clarity on taxation, Lamborghini expects volumes in India to remain stable. Last year, the carmaker sold 111 units on our shores. “At the time being, we are around 100 cars. And for the moment, this is what we see as the volumes for a market like India for the foreseeable future,” he said.

New GT model to expand lineup

Lamborghini is preparing to introduce a new two-door 2+2 Gran Turismo model. This will be the brand’s entry into a new segment. Winkelmann described the upcoming model as a traditional GT rather than an SUV-style vehicle.

“The GT 2 plus 2 is going to be a classic GT, it’s a low car,” he said. He explained that the company evaluated multiple body styles before deciding on the GT format.

“If there is one car which was missing in the line-up of Lamborghini, it’s exactly the GranTurismo,” he said. The model is expected to carry forward the Lanzador name, although the final decision has not been confirmed.

V12 engines to continue

Despite tightening emission norms globally, Lamborghini intends to continue offering V12 engines for the foreseeable future. “We will keep the V12 running as long as possible,” Winkelmann said.

He indicated that the engine could remain in production for at least another decade. A final decision on the long-term future of the V12 will be taken later. “It’s something we have to decide in the next four years from now what we are going to do next,” he said. Winkelmann added that future decisions will depend heavily on regulations and political developments worldwide.

Record global sales despite geopolitical challenges

Winkelmann highlighted Lamborghini’s recent performance, saying the company achieved another record year. “In the year 2025, we achieved another record year in sales, with 10,747 cars delivered to customers,” he said. He added that this marked the third consecutive year in which Lamborghini crossed the 10,000-unit mark globally. According to him, the strong results came despite global uncertainties.

Urus to remain volume leader

Winkelmann outlined how Lamborghini expects its model hierarchy to evolve. “We see Urus as the main volume maker. Then we see the GT and the Temerario models on the same level. In terms of price, it is Urus, GT, Temerario and Aventador,” he said.

  • Published On Feb 22, 2026 at 12:41 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

2 Jaish terrorists killed in encounter with security forces in J&K’s Kishtwar

Two terrorists linked to Jaish-e-Mohammad were killed during an intelligence-led encounter with security forces in the Chatroo belt of Kishtwar district on Sunday, officials said. Read More

South Korea Protests Japan For Hosting Event Over Disputed Islands

Seoul condemned Japan’s Takeshima Day event, protesting claims over disputed islands known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo in South Korea, urging Japan to abolish the ceremony. Read More

Khamenei Planning For Assassination Scenario? Iranian Leader Appoints Longtime Loyalist As Successor

Ayatollah Khamenei set succession plans and named Ali Larijani to oversee key affairs as Iran faces US and Israeli threats, reports The New York Times. Read More

Weekly Lifestyle Wrap: Priyanka Chopra’s Method Dressing To Radhika Merchant’s Chanel Moment

From Priyanka Chopra’s The Bluff press-tour style to Radhika Merchant’s rare Chanel moment, here’s your weekly wrap of fashion, celebrity and lifestyle moments. Read More

Topics

2 Jaish terrorists killed in encounter with security forces in J&K’s Kishtwar

Two terrorists linked to Jaish-e-Mohammad were killed during an intelligence-led encounter with security forces in the Chatroo belt of Kishtwar district on Sunday, officials said. Read More

South Korea Protests Japan For Hosting Event Over Disputed Islands

Seoul condemned Japan’s Takeshima Day event, protesting claims over disputed islands known as Takeshima in Japan and Dokdo in South Korea, urging Japan to abolish the ceremony. Read More

Khamenei Planning For Assassination Scenario? Iranian Leader Appoints Longtime Loyalist As Successor

Ayatollah Khamenei set succession plans and named Ali Larijani to oversee key affairs as Iran faces US and Israeli threats, reports The New York Times. Read More

Weekly Lifestyle Wrap: Priyanka Chopra’s Method Dressing To Radhika Merchant’s Chanel Moment

From Priyanka Chopra’s The Bluff press-tour style to Radhika Merchant’s rare Chanel moment, here’s your weekly wrap of fashion, celebrity and lifestyle moments. Read More

‘So It’s A Loss?’: How Trump Reacted After Learning Of Tariff Blow During White House Meeting

Shortly afterwards, Trump cut short a question-and-answer session and left the meeting, saying he needed to prepare a response. Read More

Karnataka Govt Considers Ban On Mobile Phones For Students Under 16 Over Addiction Fears

If approved, Karnataka would join countries like Australia that have introduced measures to curb digital addiction among school students. Read More

Raj Kundra ditches face mask after securing bail in bitcoin case

Businessman Raj Kundra, granted bail in the alleged bitcoin scam case, expressed faith in the Indian judiciary and criticized media sensationalism. After his release, he said “Satyamev Jayate,” emphasizing truth will prevail. Read More

Related Articles