Friday, February 20, 2026
17.1 C
New Delhi

Former Prince Andrew Released Hours After Arrest As Epstein-Linked Probe Intensifies

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, formerly known as Prince Andrew, was released late Thursday after spending several hours in police custody over allegations of misconduct connected to his time as a UK trade envoy. His detention, reportedly tied to his past association with convicted US sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, has jolted the Royal Family and sparked what many see as one of the most serious challenges to the monarchy in decades.

Officers arrived at his residence on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk at around 8:00 am, taking the 66-year-old in for questioning on suspicion of misconduct in public office. News of the arrest spread quickly, sending ripples across the country and drawing intense public scrutiny.

By evening, Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man had been released under investigation, in line with standard UK practice of not naming suspects. While searches at the Norfolk property have concluded, inquiries remain ongoing, with officers continuing to examine a residence in Berkshire believed to be his former home, Royal Lodge.

King Charles Breaks Silence

As the crisis unfolded on Andrew’s 66th birthday, King Charles III issued a rare, personally signed statement.

“Let me state clearly: the law must take its course,” the monarch said, pledging Buckingham Palace’s full cooperation with the authorities.

Despite the unfolding drama, Charles maintained a public schedule that included engagements such as opening London Fashion Week, an apparent effort to project stability during an intensely scrutinized moment.

Royal historian Ed Owens described the arrest as “a hugely significant moment for the British monarchy, and indeed the nation,” adding that recent events have left the institution visibly shaken.

Royal commentator Katie Nicholl echoed that sentiment, telling Sky News that the situation could represent the monarchy’s most serious test since the 1936 abdication crisis. “No one quite knows how this is going to pan out,” she said.

A Scandal Years In The Making

The arrest follows fresh revelations that Andrew may have shared potentially confidential documents with Epstein while serving as a UK trade envoy. In a November 2010 email reviewed by AFP, Andrew appeared to send the US financier reports detailing official visits to several Asian countries.

Epstein had been convicted in 2008 in the United States for procuring a child for prostitution. He later died in jail in 2019 while awaiting trial on federal sex trafficking charges.

Andrew has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing connected to Epstein. In 2022, he settled a US civil lawsuit brought by Virginia Giuffre without admitting liability. Giuffre alleged in her memoirs published last year that she had been trafficked on three occasions to have sex with Andrew as a teenager.

Following news of the arrest, Giuffre’s family released a statement saying, “Our broken hearts have been lifted at the news,” adding that Andrew was “never a prince.”

Public Reaction And Institutional Fallout

In Sandringham’s quiet surroundings, reaction was swift. An off-duty police officer in the nearby village described himself as “very satisfied some formal action was taken,” calling it reassuring for the public.

In Dersingham, local pub owner John Higginson expressed sympathy for senior royals. “I just feel sorry, to be quite honest, for people like William and Kate,” he said, referring to the Prince and Princess of Wales.

Andrew’s fall from royal grace has been steady and severe. Last year, King Charles stripped him of his titles and removed him from his long-time Windsor residence, though he remains eighth in line to the throne.

Now, legal jeopardy looms larger than ever. Misconduct in public office carries a potential maximum sentence of life imprisonment under Crown Prosecution Service guidelines.

At least nine UK police forces are currently reviewing material related to the Epstein files, many of which reportedly reference Andrew. The scrutiny intensified after the US Department of Justice released millions of pages from its Epstein investigation.

A Defining Moment For The Monarchy

For centuries, the British monarchy has weathered wars, abdications, and public scandals. Yet Andrew’s arrest stands out as a rare instance of a senior royal being detained in a criminal probe.

The immediate question remains: how will this shape the institution’s future? As investigators continue their work, Britain, and much of the world, will be watching closely.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Garcia legitimate target if …’: Iran tells UN it will respond ‘decisively’ to US aggression

Iran has warned the United States of retaliation if subjected to military aggression, saying all US bases and assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” in such a scenario. Read More

Committed to minority safety: Bangladesh Hindu minister

Nitai Roy Chowdhury, 77, lone Hindu minister in PM Tarique Rahman-led govt and vice-chairman of Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s central committee, said the administration was committed to ensuring the safety of all minorities and restor Read More

Carney’s new challenge: Canada’s oil-rich Alberta eyes control over immigration, plans referendum

Alberta is set to hold a high stakes referendum this autumn to determine if the province should limit the number of new international students, temporary workers, and asylum seekers. Read More

10 UFO Photos That Continue To Fuel Conspiracy Theories

These mysterious images, preserved across decades, continue to fuel speculation about what might be out there. Read More

F-35, F-22 Fighter Jets: US Builds Massive Air Firepower In Middle East, Iran Prepares

The only step remaining is for President Donald Trump to give the final approval for the US military to launch an attack on Iran. Read More

Topics

‘Garcia legitimate target if …’: Iran tells UN it will respond ‘decisively’ to US aggression

Iran has warned the United States of retaliation if subjected to military aggression, saying all US bases and assets in the region would become “legitimate targets” in such a scenario. Read More

Committed to minority safety: Bangladesh Hindu minister

Nitai Roy Chowdhury, 77, lone Hindu minister in PM Tarique Rahman-led govt and vice-chairman of Bangladesh Nationalist Party’s central committee, said the administration was committed to ensuring the safety of all minorities and restor Read More

Carney’s new challenge: Canada’s oil-rich Alberta eyes control over immigration, plans referendum

Alberta is set to hold a high stakes referendum this autumn to determine if the province should limit the number of new international students, temporary workers, and asylum seekers. Read More

10 UFO Photos That Continue To Fuel Conspiracy Theories

These mysterious images, preserved across decades, continue to fuel speculation about what might be out there. Read More

F-35, F-22 Fighter Jets: US Builds Massive Air Firepower In Middle East, Iran Prepares

The only step remaining is for President Donald Trump to give the final approval for the US military to launch an attack on Iran. Read More

No Troops, No Traction? US-Pakistan Ties Strained Over Gaza ISF Plan, Say Sources

Sources indicate the US has pledged to underwrite financial contributions on Pakistan’s behalf, insisting what is required from Islamabad is a troop commitment to the ISF. Read More

Himachal Public Servants Busted Partying In Jaisalmer During Sick Leave, Exposed By Insta Photos

Majra Deputy Tehsildar Inder Kumar and his staff took medical leave but were found holidaying in Jaisalmer. Read More

Five Years Later, X-Ray Reveals Surgical Tool Left Inside Woman After 2021 Surgery In Kerala

Health Minister Veena George said that officials involved in the surgery who are still in government service would be suspended as part of the ongoing investigation. Read More

Related Articles