Sunday, May 24, 2026
30.1 C
New Delhi

Honda Motor to re-enter Formula 1 in 2026 as power unit supplier with Aston Martin



<p>Honda previously enjoyed major success in Formula 1 during the late 1980s and early 1990s with McLaren and William.</p>
<p>“/><figcaption class= Honda previously enjoyed major success in Formula 1 during the late 1980s and early 1990s with McLaren and William.

Honda Motor on Tuesday said it will re-enter Formula 1 as a power unit supplier from the 2026 season through a works partnership with the Aston Martin Aramco Formula One Team, marking the Japanese manufacturer’s full return to the championship after stepping back from direct involvement in 2021.

According to the official press release, Honda, at an event in Tokyo, confirmed it will supply a newly developed hybrid power unit, the RA626H, designed to meet the sport’s 2026 technical regulations that place greater emphasis on electrification and sustainable fuels.

The programme will be led by Honda Racing Corporation, the company’s global motorsport arm.

Toshihiro Mibe, global chief executive of Honda, said the regulatory overhaul coming in 2026 had influenced the company’s decision to return. The new rules will increase the proportion of electrical power to roughly three times current levels and require the use of advanced sustainable fuel in the internal combustion engine.

“F1 is evolving into a next-generation motorsport that takes on the challenges of both electrification and decarbonisation,” Mibe said. He added that Honda views the championship as a platform to develop technologies that can be transferred to road cars and other mobility applications, including eVTOL aircraft and sustainable aviation fuels.

Redesigned ‘H’ logo

Honda will introduce a redesigned “H” logo on the 2026 cars and across its wider motorsport activities. The company said expertise gained in F1—particularly in high-efficiency combustion, thermal management and high-speed electric motors—would feed into future hybrid and electric vehicle development.

The partnership gives Aston Martin its first full works engine collaboration since joining the grid as a constructor in 2021. Executive chairman Lawrence Stroll said the integration of chassis and power unit development was essential to the team’s ambition of competing for championships.

“A true works partnership with Honda means the car is designed as one integrated package,” Stroll said. He pointed to the team’s new facilities at Silverstone, including a wind tunnel and data centre, as key elements of its long-term plan.

Formula 1 chief executive Stefano Domenicali welcomed Honda’s return, noting the sport’s growing audience in Japan and globally. According to Formula 1, worldwide fan numbers reached 827 million in 2025, while last year’s Japanese Grand Prix at Suzuka attracted 266,000 spectators over the race weekend.

The 2026 regulations represent the biggest technical reset in the sport’s history, with simplified hybrid systems and a stronger sustainability focus. Formula 1 says it has reduced carbon emissions by 26 per cent since 2018 and is targeting net-zero by 2030.

Honda previously enjoyed major success in Formula 1 during the late 1980s and early 1990s with McLaren and Williams, and more recently won the 2021 drivers’ championship with Red Bull Racing.

  • Published On Jan 20, 2026 at 02:57 PM IST

Join the community of 2M+ industry professionals.

Subscribe to Newsletter to get latest insights & analysis in your inbox.

All about ETAuto industry right on your smartphone!

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Topics

‘He got arrogant’: Magnus Carlsen slammed for stepping away from World Championship cycle

Former world champion has criticised Magnus Carlsen for stepping away from the World Chess Championship cycle, calling it arrogance and saying the Norwegian star made a mistake after dominating classical chess for years. Read More

White House gunfire scare: Footage shows journalists running for shelter

Tension gripped the White House complex on Sunday after series of gunfire were heard near the presidential compound, forcing journalists to rush into secure shelter areas while heavily armed law enforcement personnel sealed off parts Read More

SpaceX’s Starship flight hits most targets in pre-IPO test

STARBASE: SpaceX completed a largely successful test flight of its next-generation Starship rocket on Friday, deploying a clutch of mock satellites and executing a controlled splashdown in the Indian Ocean in a high-stakes debut of th Read More

Two people shot in Secret Service gun encounter near the White House, suspect taken to hospital

Two people were shot during an encounter with Secret Service near the White House on Saturday, sparking concerns about the safety of US President Donald Trump. Read More

Iran Israel War Live Updates: Trump says US-Iran agreement is ‘largely negotiated’, details to be announced soon

Iran Israel War Live Updates: US President Donald Trump said a deal with Iran had been “largely negotiated,” with the proposal including opening the crucial Strait of Hormuz, though the agreement was “subject to finalisation. Read More

Heavenly, Dramatic And Unmissable: Aishwarya Rai Bachchan’s Stunning Cannes 2026 Red Carpet Looks

From regal whites to dramatic silhouettes, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan once again turned Cannes 2026 into her personal runway and left the internet completely mesmerised. Read More

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Related Articles