Sunday, May 24, 2026
37.1 C
New Delhi

SC sets aside 14-year-old HC order, reopens Rs 400cr land dispute between govt & Rajasthan royals

SC sets aside 14-year-old HC order, reopens Rs 400cr land dispute between govt & Rajasthan royals

Diya Kumari with mother Padmini Devi. The row involves land in what used to be ‘Hathroi village’ in official records

JAIPUR: Supreme Court has reopened proceedings in a Rs 400-crore land dispute between Jaipur Development Authority (JDA) and the family of former royal and deputy CM Diya Kumari, setting aside a Rajasthan high court order that allowed a 2011 trial court decree in favour of the princely estate to “stand without examination on merit”. The bench of Justices J B Pardiwala and K V Vishwanathan held that there was no justification in the high court declining to consider JDA’s appeal on technical grounds. The judges directed the HC bench to decide JDA’s first appeal on merit within four weeks and submit a compliance report. The dispute involves land in what used to be “Hathroi village” in official records before becoming part of central Jaipur’s urban sprawl, including prime real estate, schools, hospitals and other civic infrastructure. JDA pegs the value of the land parcel, mentioned in revenue records as “Siwai chak” (uncultivable govt land), at Rs 400 crore. The petition says the civic administration took possession of the land in the 1990s, challenging the erstwhile royal family’s claim that it was registered as private property under the 1949 Covenant linked to Jaipur’s accession to the Indian Union. JDA insists the land was never listed as the former royal family’s private property in the covenant schedule, and that swathes of land were lawfully acquired between 1993 and 1995 after paying compensation. In 2005, the royal family filed a civil suit, seeking declaration of ownership. On Nov 24, 2011, the trial court decreed the suit in their favour, declaring them owners. The court set aside revenue entries in favour of the state and restrained JDA from interfering with possession. JDA filed its first appeal in 2012. It was dismissed in Nov 2023, before being restored just over a year later. On Sept 15 last year, HC declined to intervene in the dispute, leaving the trial court decree intact without appellate scrutiny. JDA approached Supreme Court on Dec 10, arguing that public land was lost on technical grounds despite issues involving public title, completed acquisitions, settled revenue records and a constitutional bar under Article 363.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

BBC at the site of China’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade

At least 82 people have been killed and two are missing after a coal mine blast in northern China, officials have said. Read More

Topics

Trump’s emerging Iran deal sparks backlash from Republican hawks over nuclear, Hormuz concerns

Several Republican leaders and former Trump allies warned that any agreement allowing Iran to retain nuclear leverage or regional influence could undermine the objectives of the US-led military campaign. Read More

Trump tells US negotiators ‘not to rush’ into deal with Iran

The deal under discussion would involve a 60-day ceasefire extension during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened, according to US media. Read More

Large-scale Russian attack on Ukraine leaves four dead and dozens injured

The Oreshnik missile, which reportedly travels over 10 times the speed of sound, was used, Russia has confirmed. Read More

Turkish riot police storm opposition offices after leaders ousted

Officers forced their way into the building days after the party vowed to defy a court ruling removing its leaders. Read More

BBC at the site of China’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade

At least 82 people have been killed and two are missing after a coal mine blast in northern China, officials have said. Read More

Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan

Officials say the train had been transporting military personnel home for Eid when it was attacked by armed separatists. Read More

‘Fastest man in India wears whites’: Navy salutes petty officer Gurindervir who broke national 100m record

New Delhi: Gurindervir Singh, who has become the first Indian to clock sub-10.10 seconds in the men’s 100m sprint, holds the rank of a petty officer in the Indian Navy. Read More

WATCH – Pep Guardiola bids emotional farewell to Man City: ‘Players do not know it but I will be there controlling them’

Pep Guardiola delivered an emotional farewell after his final match as Manchester City manager, reflecting on his 10-year spell at the Etihad and thanking fans, players, and the club. Read More

Related Articles