Friday, February 20, 2026
15.1 C
New Delhi

Palestinians flee Gaza City as Israel says first stages of assault have begun

Large numbers of Palestinians are continuing to flee Gaza City after the Israeli military began the first stages of a planned ground offensive, officials in the city say.

Israel’s troops have established a foothold on the outskirts of the city – which is home to more than a million Palestinians – after days of intense bombing and artillery fire.

It has prompted UN Secretary General António Guterres to renew calls for an immediate ceasefire “to avoid the death and destruction” an assault would “inevitably cause”.

Israel wants to signal that it is pressing ahead with its plan to capture all of Gaza City despite international criticism.

A military spokesman said troops were already operating in the Zeitoun and Jabalia areas to lay the groundwork for the offensive, which Defence Minister Israel Katz approved on Tuesday and which will be put to the security cabinet later this week.

Around 60,000 reservists are being called up for the beginning of September to free up active-duty personnel for the operation.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he was “shortening the timelines” for seizing what he described as “the last terror strongholds” in Gaza.

In a statement, Hamas accused the Israeli leader of continuing a “brutal war against innocent civilians in Gaza City” and criticised what it said was his “disregard” for a new ceasefire proposal from regional mediators. Israel has yet to formally respond to the plan.

Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians in Gaza City are expected to be ordered to evacuate and head to shelters in southern Gaza as preparations for Israel’s takeover plan get under way.

Many of Israel’s allies have condemned its plan, with French President Emmanuel Macron warning on Wednesday that it “can only lead to disaster for both peoples and risks plunging the entire region into a cycle of permanent war”.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) meanwhile said further displacement and an intensification of hostilities “risk worsening an already catastrophic situation” for Gaza’s 2.1 million population.

Israel’s government announced its intention to conquer the entire Gaza Strip after indirect talks with Hamas on a ceasefire and hostage release deal broke down last month.

Speaking at a televised briefing on Wednesday, Israel Defense Forces (IDF) spokesperson Brigadier General Effie Defrin said Hamas was “battered and bruised” after 22 months of war.

“We will deepen the damage to Hamas in Gaza City, a stronghold of governmental and military terror for the terrorist organisation,” he added. “We will deepen the damage to the terror infrastructure above and below the ground and sever the population’s dependence on Hamas.”

But Defrin said the IDF was “not waiting” to begin the operation.

“We have begun the preliminary actions, and already now, IDF troops are holding the outskirts of Gaza City.”

Two brigades were operating on the ground in the Zeitoun neighbourhood, where in recent days they had located an underground tunnel that contained weapons, and a third brigade was operating in the Jabalia area, he added.

In order to “minimise harm to civilians,” he said, Gaza City’s civilian population would be warned to evacuate for their safety.

A spokesman for Gaza’s Hamas-run Civil Defence agency, Mahmoud Bassal, told AFP news agency on Tuesday that the situation was “very dangerous and unbearable” in the city’s Zeitoun and Sabra neighbourhoods.

The agency reported that Israeli strikes and fire had killed 25 people across the territory on Wednesday. They included three children and their parents whose home in the Badr area of Shati refugee camp, west of Gaza City, was bombed, it said.

Defrin said the IDF was also doing everything possible to prevent harm to the 50 hostages still being held by Hamas in Gaza, 20 of whom are believed to be alive. Their families have expressed fears that those in Gaza City could be endangered by a ground offensive.

The ICRC warned of a catastrophic situation for both Palestinian civilians and the hostages if military activity in Gaza intensified.

“After months of relentless hostilities and repeated displacement, the people in Gaza are utterly exhausted. What they need is not more pressure, but relief. Not more fear, but a chance to breathe. They must have access to the essentials to live in dignity: food, medical and hygiene supplies, clean water, and safe shelter,” a statement said.

“Any further intensification of military operations will only deepen the suffering, tear more families apart, and threaten an irreversible humanitarian crisis. The lives of hostages may also be put at risk,” it added.

It called for an immediate ceasefire and the rapid and unimpeded passage of humanitarian assistance across Gaza.

The UN secretary general also called for the unconditional release of hostages held by Hamas.

Mediators Qatar and Egypt are trying to secure a ceasefire deal and have presented a new proposal for a 60-day truce and the release of around half of the hostages, which Hamas said it had accepted on Monday.

Israel has not yet submitted a formal response, but Israeli officials insisted on Tuesday that they would no longer accept a partial deal and demanded a comprehensive one that would see all the hostages released.

On Wednesday Hamas accused Netanyahu of disregarding the mediators’ ceasefire proposal and said he was the “real obstructionist of any agreement”, according to a statement cited by Reuters.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response to the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

At least 62,122 people have been killed in Gaza since then, according to the territory’s health ministry. The ministry’s figures are quoted by the UN and others as the most reliable source of statistics available on casualties.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Starmer blocks Trump from using RAF bases in Chagos Islands for strike on Iran amid tensions

Amid rising tensions between Iran and the United States, Keir Starmer, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, blocked US President Donald Trump from using RAF bases to strike Iran. Read More

UK Refuses To Allow Trump From Using RAF Base Near Swindon For Potential Iran Strikes: Report

Tensions have grown in recent months over Britain’s plan to hand the Chagos Islands to Mauritius and lease back Diego Garcia for 99 years at a reported £35 billion. Read More

‘Great Man’: Trump Praises PM Modi At Board Of Peace, Repeats Claim Of Stopping India-Pakistan War

Donald Trump praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a “great man” while again claiming he helped stop the 2025 India-Pakistan conflict through trade pressure and tariff threats. Read More

The Grammy winner bringing traditional country to new audiences

Zach Top discusses winning the first ever Grammy Award for best traditional country album. Read More

CRPF To Open Its First School For Specially Abled, Autistic Children Of Personnel In J&K | Exclusive

This follows directions from the Welfare Directorate, which has sought fresh and updated data of children with special needs, whose parents are willing to send them to school Go to Source Read More

Topics

Starmer blocks Trump from using RAF bases in Chagos Islands for strike on Iran amid tensions

Amid rising tensions between Iran and the United States, Keir Starmer, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, blocked US President Donald Trump from using RAF bases to strike Iran. Read More

UK Refuses To Allow Trump From Using RAF Base Near Swindon For Potential Iran Strikes: Report

Tensions have grown in recent months over Britain’s plan to hand the Chagos Islands to Mauritius and lease back Diego Garcia for 99 years at a reported £35 billion. Read More

‘Great Man’: Trump Praises PM Modi At Board Of Peace, Repeats Claim Of Stopping India-Pakistan War

Donald Trump praised Prime Minister Narendra Modi as a “great man” while again claiming he helped stop the 2025 India-Pakistan conflict through trade pressure and tariff threats. Read More

The Grammy winner bringing traditional country to new audiences

Zach Top discusses winning the first ever Grammy Award for best traditional country album. Read More

CRPF To Open Its First School For Specially Abled, Autistic Children Of Personnel In J&K | Exclusive

This follows directions from the Welfare Directorate, which has sought fresh and updated data of children with special needs, whose parents are willing to send them to school Go to Source Read More

Nancy Guthrie missing case turns tense as YouTube streamers crowd her home and Jimmy Williams clashes with neighbor

Nancy Guthrie missing case turns tense as YouTube streamers crowd her home and Jimmy Williams clashes with neighbor (Image via Getty) It has now been more than two weeks since 84 year old Nancy Guthrie was reported missing on Februa Read More

“I’m borderline blind”: MrBeast opens up about right eye vision issue after viral X post questions his smile and demeanor

MrBeast opens up about right eye vision issue after viral X post questions his smile and demeanor (Image via Getty) Jimmy Donaldson, known to millions as MrBeast, has spoken openly about his eyesight after people on X said his “eyes Read More

‘Would Love To Have China, Russia…’: Trump After Gaza ‘Board of Peace’ Meets For The First Time

Both Russia and China have received the invitation from Trump; however, they have not announced any decision about joining the “Board of Peace”. Read More

Related Articles