Monday, May 18, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

‘Carefully planned’: Russia shares video of alleged strike on Putin residence; watch

‘Carefully planned’: Russia shares video of alleged strike on Putin residence; watch

Russia’s defence ministry has released night-time footage it says shows the wreckage of a Ukrainian drone shot down near one of President Vladimir Putin’s residences in north-west Russia, reigniting tensions at a delicate moment in peace talks over the war in Ukraine. Moscow described the alleged incident as a “terrorist act” and a “personal attack” on Putin, a claim Kyiv has firmly rejected as fabricated.The video, published on Wednesday, shows a damaged unmanned aerial vehicle lying in snow in a wooded area. The defence ministry said the drone was intercepted during a “mass launch” targeting Putin’s residence in the Novgorod region on the night of December 28–29.

Putin-EU Tensions Spark WW3 Fears In Europe; Serbia’s Vucic Warns Of Big Attack | ‘Possibile That…’

According to Russian officials, 91 drones were launched, all of which were intercepted by air defences. The ministry said the drone carried a six-kilogram explosive charge, but added that the residence itself was not damaged. The ministry said the alleged attack was “targeted, carefully planned and carried out in stages.” Moscow has not disclosed where Putin was at the time, citing security concerns. His residences are typically kept secret, though investigations by opposition figures in the past have pointed to a heavily protected lakeside compound in the region.

Ukraine and allies dismiss claim as fabrication

Ukraine has categorically denied any involvement, with President Volodymyr Zelenskyy calling the allegation “a complete fabrication” designed to manipulate ongoing diplomatic efforts. Kyiv said there was no plausible evidence to support Moscow’s version of events and accused Russia of laying the groundwork for further attacks on Ukrainian cities, including Kyiv.Also read: Russia pushes deeper: Putin orders ‘buffer zone’ expansion in Ukraine’s Sumy, Kharkiv in 2026; Zelenskyy calls plans ‘mad’“Our negotiating team connected with the American team, went through the details, and we understand that it’s fake,” Zelenskyy told journalists, urging international partners to independently verify the claim. Ukraine’s foreign minister, Andrii Sybiha, said Russia was spreading falsehoods to undermine efforts towards a lasting peace.Notably, Russian officials have said no further evidence would be provided. Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said there was no need for proof since all drones were allegedly destroyed. I

Trump reacts

The allegation has landed amid renewed diplomatic activity, shortly after Zelenskyy met US President Donald Trump in Florida. Trump said Putin personally informed him of the alleged attack and criticised Kyiv, saying it was “not the right time” for such actions. Asked whether the incident could have been fabricated, Trump appeared uncertain but said Putin had insisted it happened.The reported attack comes as Trump has claimed a peace deal is “95% done”, while Ukraine says it has agreed to most elements of a US-drafted plan. Russia, however, has signalled it may now “revise” its negotiating position, with foreign minister Sergei Lavrov saying retaliatory targets in Ukraine had already been selected. Go to Source

Hot this week

Iran helping Cuba? US intel flags ‘growing threat’ over drone build-up amid Havana tensions

File photo The administration of US President Donald Trump is increasingly viewing Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence suggested Havana had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed possible Read More

How Did Two Secret Israeli Outposts Operate Undetected In Iraq’s Western Desert

Israeli forces had allegedly begun preparations for the makeshift facilities in late 2024, identifying remote desert locations that could be used in future military confrontations. Read More

Measles Kills Over 450 Kids In Bangladesh, Petition Seeks Travel Curbs On Yunus Over Vaccine Shortage

Bangladesh’s measles outbreak has claimed at least 459 children’s lives since mid-March. A petition has been filed seeking restrictions on Yunus and 24 others. Read More

Cannes 2026: Diana Penty, Huma Qureshi And Aditi Rao Hydari Prove Sarees Are The Ultimate Red Carpet Outfit

Diana Penty, Huma Qureshi and Aditi Rao Hydari brought the elegance of the saree to Cannes 2026 with three striking looks. Read More

Keerthy Suresh On Surviving Body Shaming In The Film Industry

Keerthy Suresh gets candid about her weight loss transformation, fitness journey, body shaming experiences, and how yoga helped her find balance and self-confidence. Read More

Topics

Iran helping Cuba? US intel flags ‘growing threat’ over drone build-up amid Havana tensions

File photo The administration of US President Donald Trump is increasingly viewing Cuba as a potential security threat after classified intelligence suggested Havana had acquired more than 300 military drones and discussed possible Read More

How Did Two Secret Israeli Outposts Operate Undetected In Iraq’s Western Desert

Israeli forces had allegedly begun preparations for the makeshift facilities in late 2024, identifying remote desert locations that could be used in future military confrontations. Read More

Measles Kills Over 450 Kids In Bangladesh, Petition Seeks Travel Curbs On Yunus Over Vaccine Shortage

Bangladesh’s measles outbreak has claimed at least 459 children’s lives since mid-March. A petition has been filed seeking restrictions on Yunus and 24 others. Read More

Cannes 2026: Diana Penty, Huma Qureshi And Aditi Rao Hydari Prove Sarees Are The Ultimate Red Carpet Outfit

Diana Penty, Huma Qureshi and Aditi Rao Hydari brought the elegance of the saree to Cannes 2026 with three striking looks. Read More

Keerthy Suresh On Surviving Body Shaming In The Film Industry

Keerthy Suresh gets candid about her weight loss transformation, fitness journey, body shaming experiences, and how yoga helped her find balance and self-confidence. Read More

Fire breaks out in Bihar passenger train; no casualties reported

A fire broke out in the Sasaram-Patna passenger train on Monday due to a suspected short circuit at Sasaram Junction in Bihar.No casualties have been reported so far. Read More

She Was On Her Way To College. A Railway Car Hit Her. Nine Years Later, The Fine Is Rs 25,000

Bombay high court wanted Rs 5 crore for her. Railways said no — and added she was on her phone when the signal was red. Read More

Bihar Train Fire: Massive Blaze Erupts In Patna Fast Passenger Coach At Sasaram A Day After Rajdhani Incident

A major fire gutted a coach of the Patna Fast Passenger Train at Sasaram railway station in Bihar on Monday. Read More

Related Articles