Saturday, May 23, 2026
41.1 C
New Delhi

Eurostar delays enter second day as passengers stuck onboard overnight

Claire Keenan

EPA A woman holding a suitcase, dressed in a navy blue jacket with a large handbag slung over her shoulder, makes her way down the stairs at a train station, with crowds of people gathered on the platform below. EPA

Eurostar passengers are braced for more possible disruption, after a power outage in the Channel Tunnel caused travel chaos for thousands of people on Tuesday.

As people scrambled to get to New Year’s Eve celebrations, some travellers said they spent more than six hours stuck onboard trains overnight as services were hit by more delays.

One man told the BBC he had boarded the 19:01 service to Paris, but as of 03:00 GMT he was still stuck on the train at the entrance to the tunnel.

He said staff had told him there was a “50% chance we go to Paris, 50% chance we go back to London”.

“I guess my new year plan is in the hands of the tunnel operators now,” the 27-year-old Parisian said.

Eurostar said it planned to run all of its services on Wednesday but warned there may still be some delays and cancellations.

The service from London to Paris scheduled for 06:00 GMT has been cancelled.

The problem with the overhead power supply and a broken down LeShuttle train blocked all routes on Tuesday, causing disruptions for thousands trying to get away for New Year’s Eve.

Some Eurostar and LeShuttle services had resumed on Tuesday evening, but delays remained, with only one of the tunnel’s two rail lines open.

Getlink, who run the Channel Tunnel, said work continued through the night to fix the power issue.

On Wednesday morning, an update on Eurostar’s website said: “Services have resumed today following a power issue in the Channel Tunnel yesterday and some further issues with rail infrastructure overnight.

“We plan to run all of our services today, however due to knock-on impacts there may still be some delays and possible last-minute cancellations.

“Please check for live updates on the status of your train on the train status and timetables page.”

Dennis van der Steen, from the Netherlands, was heading home to Amsterdam to spend New Year’s Eve with his family and friends.

Instead he said he spent six hours stuck on board a Eurostar train, before it began to move again at about 03:00 GMT.

“We’re stuck,” he told the BBC.

He said there was no power onboard the train when it stopped, and that some passengers slept while others were “also very worried”. He was later told his train would continue on its journey.

Another passenger described feeling a “rollercoaster of emotions” for hours, not knowing whether the train he was on would be able to continue across the Channel or return to London.

His train eventually made it to Brussels, he said, adding: “Glad to be home, saw many families stranded.”

Images of massive crowds of travellers stranded at London St Pancras International flooded social media following Tuesday’s power outage.

A photograph shared with the BBC by a train driver for Eurostar appeared to show overhead electrical cables strewn across the tracks.

Meanwhile, cars that had hoped to use the Channel Tunnel caused traffic jams near the LeShuttle Terminal in Folkestone.

Tim Brown, who had been trying to return to the UK after spending Christmas in Germany, told PA News he had been stuck in his car on the LeShuttle train for more than three hours with “no access to food or water”.

At least a dozen Eurostar services between the UK, France, Belgium and the Netherlands had been cancelled by midday on Tuesday.

The rail operator apologised and said passengers could rearrange their plans free of charge or can cancel their booking and get a refund or an e-voucher.

On Tuesday, Eurostar has urged its customers “to rebook their journey for another day if possible, with free exchanges available”.

“We also advise customers not to come to our stations if their trains have been already been cancelled.”

Your Voice banner

Go to Source

Hot this week

Indian-origin worker killed by falling branch in NZ, wife left ‘completely alone’

Paradeep Singh’s wife Kamal had arrived in New Zealand from India just six months ago to start a new life with him What began as a routine day of yard work ended in tragedy for an Indian-origin couple in New Zealand after a fa Read More

‘Iran trying to control Hormuz illegally, criminally’: Rubio accuses Tehran of disrupting global energy flows

The US Secretary of State said Tehran’s actions in the Strait of Hormuz were destabilising global trade routes, escalating maritime tensions and adding pressure on already volatile energy markets. Read More

Mental Health Disorders Have Doubled In 33 Year With Over 1.2 Billion People Living With It Worldwide

One of the most striking findings from the report is that adolescents aged 15 to 19 were among the most affected groups globally. Read More

Center of Policy Research and Governance and AI4India publish report on ‘future of jobs’ in the age of AI

Center of Policy Research and Governance and AI4India publish report on ‘future of jobs’ in the age of AI NEW DELHI: The Centre of Policy Research and Governance (CPRG) and AI4India have published the report Future of Jo Read More

Raghav Chadha appointed chairman of Committee on Petitions in Rajya Sabha days after joining BJP

Raghav Chadha (File photo/ANI) NEW DELHI: Rajya Sabha chairman CP Radhakrishnan has reconstituted the Upper House’s Committee on Petitions, naming MP Raghav Chadha as the panel’s chairperson. Read More

Topics

Indian-origin worker killed by falling branch in NZ, wife left ‘completely alone’

Paradeep Singh’s wife Kamal had arrived in New Zealand from India just six months ago to start a new life with him What began as a routine day of yard work ended in tragedy for an Indian-origin couple in New Zealand after a fa Read More

‘Iran trying to control Hormuz illegally, criminally’: Rubio accuses Tehran of disrupting global energy flows

The US Secretary of State said Tehran’s actions in the Strait of Hormuz were destabilising global trade routes, escalating maritime tensions and adding pressure on already volatile energy markets. Read More

Mental Health Disorders Have Doubled In 33 Year With Over 1.2 Billion People Living With It Worldwide

One of the most striking findings from the report is that adolescents aged 15 to 19 were among the most affected groups globally. Read More

Center of Policy Research and Governance and AI4India publish report on ‘future of jobs’ in the age of AI

Center of Policy Research and Governance and AI4India publish report on ‘future of jobs’ in the age of AI NEW DELHI: The Centre of Policy Research and Governance (CPRG) and AI4India have published the report Future of Jo Read More

Raghav Chadha appointed chairman of Committee on Petitions in Rajya Sabha days after joining BJP

Raghav Chadha (File photo/ANI) NEW DELHI: Rajya Sabha chairman CP Radhakrishnan has reconstituted the Upper House’s Committee on Petitions, naming MP Raghav Chadha as the panel’s chairperson. Read More

BCCI Ready To Move On From Suryakumar Yadav, Gambhir Holds Final Say: Report

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Suryakumar Yadav’s T20 future faces uncertainty despite captaincy success. Selectors are reportedly concerned about his batting form and consistency. Read More

Iran’s ‘Sabhyata’ Jibe Targets Marco Rubio As He Arrives In India

Show Quick Read Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom Iran’s Mumbai consulate posted a cryptic Hindi remark on X. The post, likely referencing Trump’s rhetoric, targeted US Secretary Rubio. Read More

Marco Rubio Launches ‘America First’ Visa Schedule During India Visit

United States Secretary of State Marco Rubio underscored the growing strategic partnership between India and the US, calling bilateral ties “incredibly important” and hinting at “exciting and new announcements” in the month Read More

Related Articles