Wednesday, February 18, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

Unnao rape case: SC stays Delhi HC order granting bail to Kuldeep Sengar; ex-BJP MLA to remain in jail

Unnao rape case: SC stays Delhi HC order granting bail to Kuldeep Sengar; ex-BJP MLA to remain in jail

NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court on Monday stayed a Delhi high court order granting bail to former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar in connection with the Unnao rape case.A bench comprising CJI Surya Kant, Justice J K Maheshwari and Justice A G Masih, while hearing a plea challenging suspension of Sengar’s sentence, asked the former MLA to file a response within four weeks and posted the matter for hearing in the last week of January.

Unnao Rape Case: Activists Protest Outside Delhi High Court Over Sengar Bail

“Tentatively, we are inclined to stay the order. Generally, the principle is that once a person has walked out, the court does not take away liberty,” CJI Kant said.“But here, the situation is peculiar since he is inside the jail for another case,” he added.This came after the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) moved the top court following the Delhi high court’s decision to suspend Sengar’s life sentence in the rape case.Representing the central probing agency, solicitor general Tushar Mehta urged the apex court to stay the high court order, calling the incident a “very horrific case.”

.

“This is a horrific case of rape of a child. Charges were framed under Section 376 of the IPC and Sections 5 and 6 of the POCSO Act,” Mehta said.“Conviction is on two counts. I have quoted all relevant parts. Paragraph 3 of my note has the conviction order. There is a finding recorded which says the child was less than 16 years old — 15 years and 10 months. Against this conviction, the appeal is pending,” he added.Mehta further argued that Sengar was a public servant at the time of the incident and pleaded for a minimum sentence of 20 years.“‘Public servant’ is not defined in the POCSO Act by reference. Whatever is defined in the IPC will be the definition. Public servant would mean a person in a dominant position over a child,” he said.A division bench of the Delhi high court, comprising Justice Subramonium Prasad and Justice Harish Vaidyanathan Shankar, while pronouncing the order, had noted that Sengar had already served seven years and five months in prison.The court ordered that the suspension of sentence would remain in force while his appeal against conviction is pending. While the high court granted him bail in the rape case, Sengar will continue to remain in jail as he is serving a separate 10-year sentence in a CBI case related to the custodial death of the survivor’s father. His appeal in that case, along with a plea seeking suspension of sentence, is also pending.The high court imposed several conditions while granting bail, including a personal bond of Rs 15 lakh with three sureties, a direction not to enter a 5-km radius of the survivor’s residence in Delhi, and a strict bar on threatening the survivor or her mother.In December 2019, former BJP MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar was sentenced to life imprisonment along with a fine of Rs 25 lakh.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Canada’s Carney edges closer to majority as opposition defection bolsters hand against US tariffs

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney moved closer to a parliamentary majority after a Conservative MP defected to the Liberals, strengthening his position as he prepares to respond to US tariff measures. Read More

Kashmir division has more voters than Jammu, new data shows

Representational image JAMMU: Kashmir division has more registered voters (4,581,375) than that in Jammu division (4,161,503), as per the latest district-wise enrolment data presented in J&K assembly on Wednesday. Read More

Tourism in J&K on revival path, says govt; assembly data shows slump in 2025 numbers after Pahalgam attack

A view of the Pahalgam terrorist attack site after the attacj on Apr 22, 2025 (ANI Photo) JAMMU: Tourist arrivals in Jammu and Kashmir have shown signs of revival after a deep slump following the April 2025 Pahalgam terror attack, Read More

J&K juvenile home breakout: Five detained, hunt on for third escapee

Two Pakistani nationals arrested in Haryana’s Ambala after escaping from Jammu Juvenile Observation home JAMMU: Five people were detained for questioning Wednesday amid a massive hunt for local gangster Karanjit Singh alias Gu Read More

Topics

Canada’s Carney edges closer to majority as opposition defection bolsters hand against US tariffs

Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney moved closer to a parliamentary majority after a Conservative MP defected to the Liberals, strengthening his position as he prepares to respond to US tariff measures. Read More

Kashmir division has more voters than Jammu, new data shows

Representational image JAMMU: Kashmir division has more registered voters (4,581,375) than that in Jammu division (4,161,503), as per the latest district-wise enrolment data presented in J&K assembly on Wednesday. Read More

Tourism in J&K on revival path, says govt; assembly data shows slump in 2025 numbers after Pahalgam attack

A view of the Pahalgam terrorist attack site after the attacj on Apr 22, 2025 (ANI Photo) JAMMU: Tourist arrivals in Jammu and Kashmir have shown signs of revival after a deep slump following the April 2025 Pahalgam terror attack, Read More

J&K juvenile home breakout: Five detained, hunt on for third escapee

Two Pakistani nationals arrested in Haryana’s Ambala after escaping from Jammu Juvenile Observation home JAMMU: Five people were detained for questioning Wednesday amid a massive hunt for local gangster Karanjit Singh alias Gu Read More

In first address to nation, Bangladesh PM pledges rule of law amid concerns over attacks on Hindus

In his maiden televised address to the nation after assuming office, Rahman vows a secure, pluralistic Bangladesh, pledging crackdown on corruption and mob violence amid recent attacks on Hindus Go to Source Read More

French Far-Right Activist Killing: 11 Held, Including Parliamentary Aide. What We Know So Far

The incident has intensified political tensions ahead of France’s municipal elections in March and the 2027 presidential race. Read More

Prince Harry’s Attempt To Contact Elder Brother William Via Mediator Was Rejected: Report

Prince Harry tried reconnecting with Prince William via a mediator, but William refused. Their estrangement persists, with tensions detailed in Omid Scobie’s biography. Read More

Related Articles