Tuesday, February 17, 2026
29.1 C
New Delhi

Return First, Then Litigate: Bombay HC Denies Relief To Fugitive Vijay Mallya

Show Quick Read

Key points generated by AI, verified by newsroom

The Bombay High Court on Tuesday directly questioned fugitive businessman Vijay Mallya on whether he intends to return to India, making it clear that his legal challenges will not be heard unless he places himself under the court’s jurisdiction. The court told Mallya’s legal team that it would not entertain his plea against the Fugitive Economic Offenders (FEO) Act unless he physically returns to the country.

Mallya, who has been residing in the United Kingdom since 2016, has moved two petitions before the high court. One seeks to set aside the order declaring him a fugitive economic offender, while the other challenges the constitutional validity of the Fugitive Economic Offenders Act, 2018.

Bench: Court Doors Closed Until Accused Appears

A bench comprising Chief Justice Shree Chandrashekhar and Justice Gautam Ankhad conveyed to senior advocate Amit Desai, appearing for Mallya, that the court’s doors are not open to such arguments as long as the businessman remains overseas. The judges stressed that the 70-year-old former liquor baron, who faces allegations of fraud and money laundering, must first appear in person before the court can examine his pleas.

ED Opposes Petitions, Cites Purpose of FEO Act

Opposing the petitions, Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Enforcement Directorate (ED), argued that individuals who flee the country should not be permitted to question the validity of Indian laws through counsel while evading the justice system.

Mehta submitted that the FEO Act was enacted precisely to prevent accused persons from avoiding trial while simultaneously using legal remedies to their advantage. He also informed the court that efforts to extradite Mallya to India are currently at a final stage.

Court Bars Parallel Proceedings

The high court further noted that Mallya would not be allowed to pursue both petitions simultaneously. The bench directed him to choose one plea to proceed with and withdraw the other.

Defence Cites Asset Recovery, Court Remains Unconvinced

In response, Mallya’s counsel argued that his client’s financial liabilities had largely been addressed. He pointed out that assets worth ₹14,000 crore have been attached by the government and that banks have already recovered ₹6,000 crore of the dues.

The bench, however, remained firm, questioning how criminal proceedings could be resolved if the accused continued to stay away from the court’s authority.

Next Hearing on February 12

The high court has scheduled the next hearing for February 12. By then, Mallya must formally inform the court which of the two petitions he intends to pursue. Mallya left India in March 2016 amid allegations of defaulting on large bank loans and was declared a fugitive economic offender in early 2019.

ED Restores Rs 300 Crore for Former Kingfisher Employees

Separately, on December 18, the Enforcement Directorate said it had restored over Rs 300 crore to clear long-pending salary dues of former employees of the now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines.

The recovery followed a December 12 order of the Debts Recovery Tribunal (DRT) in Chennai, which directed the release of proceeds from the sale of company shares. These shares had earlier been attached by the ED under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act and transferred to the State Bank of India.

The amount, totalling Rs 311.67 crore, will be transferred to an official liquidator, who will oversee the distribution of funds to former employees awaiting payment for years.

The ED had initiated proceedings against Kingfisher Airlines and Vijay Mallya in connection with a major bank loan fraud case, and the current disbursement is being made from the pool of seized assets created as part of that action.

Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Reform express will keep moving’: Jaishankar says India engaging from position of strength

Speaking at the Global Economic Cooperation conference, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said India is engaging global partners from a position of strength as the ‘reform express’ continues. Read More

Silicon Valley-style fallout hits Türkiye: Getir’s $700M legal bombshell

Türkiye’s Getir Demands $700M From Abu Dhabi Investor Mubadala in Bitter Breakup In a major escalation of the ongoing dispute between a once-high-flying delivery start-up and its largest investor, the co-founders of Turkish food and Read More

“Not one single person on earth…”: MrBeast claims no creator has worked harder than him and the internet is divided

MrBeast sparked debate after claiming no one has spent more time making YouTube videos than him over the past 15 years. He said he reinvested earnings into bigger productions while prioritizing quality. Read More

“Illegal child labor”: MrBeast says child labor crisis in cocoa farms inspired him to launch Feastables

MrBeast says the widespread use of child labor in cocoa farming inspired him to launch Feastables as an ethical alternative to traditional chocolate brands. Citing over 1. Read More

“Jealous and spiteful women”: Laura Loomer blasts Candace Owens while backing Erika Kirk in Valentine’s Day post

Laura Loomer publicly defended Erika Kirk in a Valentine’s Day post while sharply criticizing Candace Owens, escalating an ongoing conservative media feud. Read More

Topics

‘Reform express will keep moving’: Jaishankar says India engaging from position of strength

Speaking at the Global Economic Cooperation conference, External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar said India is engaging global partners from a position of strength as the ‘reform express’ continues. Read More

Silicon Valley-style fallout hits Türkiye: Getir’s $700M legal bombshell

Türkiye’s Getir Demands $700M From Abu Dhabi Investor Mubadala in Bitter Breakup In a major escalation of the ongoing dispute between a once-high-flying delivery start-up and its largest investor, the co-founders of Turkish food and Read More

“Not one single person on earth…”: MrBeast claims no creator has worked harder than him and the internet is divided

MrBeast sparked debate after claiming no one has spent more time making YouTube videos than him over the past 15 years. He said he reinvested earnings into bigger productions while prioritizing quality. Read More

“Illegal child labor”: MrBeast says child labor crisis in cocoa farms inspired him to launch Feastables

MrBeast says the widespread use of child labor in cocoa farming inspired him to launch Feastables as an ethical alternative to traditional chocolate brands. Citing over 1. Read More

“Jealous and spiteful women”: Laura Loomer blasts Candace Owens while backing Erika Kirk in Valentine’s Day post

Laura Loomer publicly defended Erika Kirk in a Valentine’s Day post while sharply criticizing Candace Owens, escalating an ongoing conservative media feud. Read More

PM Modi calls France a ‘special partner’, inaugurates H-125 helicopter assembly line with Macron

PM Modi calls France a ‘special partner’, inaugurates H-125 helicopter assembly line with Macron Go to Source Read More

‘Gavin is a loser… the worst thing UK can do’: Trump fumes over London-California energy deal

Trump criticised a clean energy deal between the United Kingdom and California on Monday, calling Governor Gavin Newsom “a loser” and dismissing his environmental policies as a disaster. Trump said it was “inappropriate” for Britain to engage. Read More

Tehran Fires Live Missiles Into Strait Of Hormuz Amid Nuclear Talks With US In Geneva

Iran fired live missiles and closed parts of the Strait of Hormuz during IRGC-led drills as nuclear talks began in Geneva with US envoys, amid Khamenei’s challenge to Trump. Read More

Related Articles