Saturday, May 23, 2026
32.1 C
New Delhi

David Walliams denies inappropriate behaviour after publisher drops him

Best-selling children’s author and comedian David Walliams has denied allegations of inappropriate behaviour after being dropped by his publisher HarperCollins UK.

A spokesperson for HarperCollins said it had decided not to release any new titles by Walliams “after careful consideration, and under the leadership of its new CEO”.

The Telegraph says it follows an investigation into allegations of inappropriate behaviour towards young women. HarperCollins did not confirm the reasons for its decision.

A spokesperson for Walliams said he had “never been informed of any allegations raised against him” by his publisher.

“He was not party to any investigation or given any opportunity to answer questions. David strongly denies that he has behaved inappropriately and is taking legal advice,” the spokesperson added.

The publisher said it took employee wellbeing “extremely seriously” with “processes in place for reporting and investigating concerns”.

“To respect the privacy of individuals we do not comment on internal matters,” the company said.

Walliams is one of the UK’s most successful children’s authors, having sold more than 60 million copies worldwide in 55 languages.

HarperCollins published his first children’s book, The Boy in the Dress, in 2008.

Some of his books, including Gangsta Granny and Billionaire Boy, have also been adapted into television films.

He has published more than 40 books in total, including a Christmas book titled Santa & Son, which was published by HarperCollins in October.

Two of his books – Mr Stink and The Boy in the Dress – have been adapted into TV films, which are scheduled to be broadcast on CBBC on Sunday.

Walliams is also scheduled to appear on comedy panel show Would I Lie to You? on Boxing Day.

A spokesperson for the BBC said: “While we’re not making any changes to the festive schedules, we have no future projects directly involving David Walliams.”

Walliams first rose to fame on TV sketch series Little Britain and has also won National Television Awards for his work as a judge on Britain’s Got Talent.

He was made an OBE in 2017 for his services to charity and the arts.

But he has faced controversies including being criticised after appearing to make two Nazi salutes during a recording of BBC comedy panel show Would I Lie To You? this summer.

In 2022, he apologised and admitted making “disrespectful comments” about two Britain’s Got Talent contestants during a break in filming.

He left the programme that year and sued the production company over the leaking of the remarks, reaching a settlement with them in 2023.

HarperCollins UK appointed Kate Elton as its new chief executive in October.

Go to Source

Hot this week

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

Topics

Site, web accounts blocked, says Cockroach Janta Party founder

NEW DELHI: Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), the online satirical movement, claimed another setback on Saturday after founder Abhijeet Dipke said the outfit’s official website had been taken down by the Centre, days after its main X Read More

217 Indians joined Russian army, 49 dead, Centre tells SC

Russian army soldiers (Image credit: AP) NEW DELHI: Union govt has told SC that as many as 217 Indians had joined Russian forces, of which 49 died and six are missing in action in the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war. Read More

Crack down on fake education institutions, HC tells Centre

NEW DELHI: Delhi HC has asked the Centre to act against the mushrooming of fake higher education institutions, noting that they harm the prospects of genuine students. Read More

Only 6 states now have fertility rate above replacement level

India’s total fertility rate (TFR), or the average number of children a woman would have, has fallen even further to 1.9 from 2.1, according to the latest sample registration system (SRS) report of 2024. Read More

Ex-bureaucrats write to CJI over remarks on green litigants

NEW DELHI: In an open letter addressed to Chief Justice of India Surya Kant, over 70 retired civil servants have expressed concern over his recent remarks on environmental litigants during the hearing of an appeal against a National G Read More

PM Modi’s strength not just in policy, but also in trust he builds: Shivraj Singh Chouhan

NEW DELHI: Union minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan in his memoir, ‘Apnapan’, on his 35-year-long association with Narendra Modi has said the PM’s strength is not confined merely to his policies and programmes, but is po Read More

5-nation tour pacts to drive job growth: PM Modi

NEW DELHI: PM Narendra Modi said on Saturday that agreements yielded by his recent five-nation tour will unlock “new doors of new economy” for the youth, emphasising that India’s presence in fields of clean energy, c Read More

Punjab: Three injured after ruckus in Kapurthala jail as police use teargas, cane charge

Chandigarh, May 24 (PTI): After inmates ran amok in the Kapurthala jail due to a clash, authorities lobbed teargas shells and resorted to cane charge to restore order, officials said on Sunday. Read More

Related Articles