Monday, February 16, 2026
16.1 C
New Delhi

US carries out ‘massive’ strike against IS in Syria

Jaroslav Lukiv

US Air Force/Reuters A night-time image in which a KC-135 Stratotanker aircraft takes off from a base in the U.S. Central Command area of responsibility in support of Operation Hawkeye Strike, its lights full-beamUS Air Force/Reuters

The US says its military has carried out a “massive strike” against the Islamic State group (IS) in Syria, in response to a deadly attack on American forces in the country.

The US Central Command (Centcom) said fighter jets, attack helicopters and artillery “struck more than 70 targets at multiple locations across central Syria”. Aircraft from Jordan were also involved.

It said the operation “employed more than 100 precision munitions” targeting known IS infrastructure and weapons sites.

President Donald Trump said “we are striking very strongly” against IS strongholds, following the 13 December IS ambush in the city of Palmyra in which two US soldiers and a US civilian interpreter were killed.

In a statement on X, Centcom, which directs American military operations in Europe, Africa and the Indo-Pacific, said Operation Hawkeye Strike was launched at 16:00 Eastern Time (21:00 GMT) on Friday.

Centcom commander Admiral Brad Cooper said that the US “will continue to relentlessly pursue terrorists who seek to harm Americans and our partners across the region”.

US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the operation “is not the beginning of a war – it is a declaration of vengeance.

“If you target Americans – anywhere in the world – you will spend the rest of your brief, anxious life knowing the United States will hunt you, find you, and ruthlessly kill you.

“Today, we hunted and we killed our enemies. Lots of them. And we will continue,” the US defence secretary added.

US Air Force/Reuters A soldier signs a bomb: US Air Force/Reuters

Posting on Truth Social, President Trump said the US “is inflicting very serious retaliation, just as I promised, on the murderous terrorists responsible”.

He said the Syrian government was “fully in support”.

Meanwhile, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights (OBHR) said IS positions near the cities of Raqqa and Deir ez Zor were targeted.

It said that a prominent IS leader and a number of fighters were killed.

IS has not publicly commented. The BBC was unable to verify the targets immediately.

Centcom earlier said that the deadly attack in Palmyra was carried out by an IS gunman, who was “engaged and killed”.

Another three US soldiers were injured in the ambush, with a Pentagon official saying that it happened “in an area where the Syrian president does not have control.”

At the same time, the SOHR said the attacker was a member of the Syrian security forces.

No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, and the identity of the gunman has not been released.

Reuters A US airman attaches a munitions system to an F-15 fighter jet taking part in Operation Hawkeye Strike. Photo: 19 December 2025Reuters

In 2019, a US-backed alliance of Syrian fighters announced IS had lost the last pocket of territory in Syria it controlled, but since then the jihadist group has carried out some attacks.

The United Nations says the group still has between 5,000 and 7,000 fighters in Syria and Iraq.

US troops have maintained a presence in Syria since 2015 to help train other forces as part of a campaign against IS.

Syria has recently joined an international coalition to combat IS and has pledged to co-operate with the US.

In November, Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa – a former jihadist leader whose coalition forces toppled Bashar al-Assad’s regime in 2024 – met Trump at the White House, describing his visit as part of a “new era” for the two countries.

Go to Source

Hot this week

CEA: Tech adoption must align with mass employability

CEA V Anantha Nageswaran NEW DELHI: AI could either amplify India’s demographic advantage or weaken it, depending on the choices made now, chief economic adviser V Anantha Nageswaran said on Monday, calling for coordinated nat Read More

Los Angeles flash flood warning: What residents need to know about upcoming storms

Los Angeles and much of Southern California are facing flash flood risks as a series of strong storms moves through the region, bringing heavy rain, thunderstorms and hazardous conditions. Read More

Cong disassociates, but Aiyar says unlike Rahul friends, he is with party

Mani Shankar Aiyar (File Photo) NEW DELHI: After Congress dissociated itself from Mani Shankar Aiyar following his prediction that the rival Left front will win in Kerala elections, the veteran hit back on Monday saying he remains Read More

From robots in healthcare to drones scanning crops, it’s India story at work

A visitor shakes hand with a robot on display at the summit NEW DELHI: The AI Impact Summit 2026 marks a shift in India’s AI story – from cloud-heavy, software-led narratives to physical, deployable AI embedded in machine Read More

India in talks with 30+ nations to curb AI misuse: Ashwini Vaishnaw

IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw NEW DELHI: Electronics and IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Monday said India is in discussions with ministers from over 30 countries to develop common technical and legal solutions to tackle the misuse Read More

Topics

CEA: Tech adoption must align with mass employability

CEA V Anantha Nageswaran NEW DELHI: AI could either amplify India’s demographic advantage or weaken it, depending on the choices made now, chief economic adviser V Anantha Nageswaran said on Monday, calling for coordinated nat Read More

Los Angeles flash flood warning: What residents need to know about upcoming storms

Los Angeles and much of Southern California are facing flash flood risks as a series of strong storms moves through the region, bringing heavy rain, thunderstorms and hazardous conditions. Read More

Cong disassociates, but Aiyar says unlike Rahul friends, he is with party

Mani Shankar Aiyar (File Photo) NEW DELHI: After Congress dissociated itself from Mani Shankar Aiyar following his prediction that the rival Left front will win in Kerala elections, the veteran hit back on Monday saying he remains Read More

From robots in healthcare to drones scanning crops, it’s India story at work

A visitor shakes hand with a robot on display at the summit NEW DELHI: The AI Impact Summit 2026 marks a shift in India’s AI story – from cloud-heavy, software-led narratives to physical, deployable AI embedded in machine Read More

India in talks with 30+ nations to curb AI misuse: Ashwini Vaishnaw

IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw NEW DELHI: Electronics and IT minister Ashwini Vaishnaw on Monday said India is in discussions with ministers from over 30 countries to develop common technical and legal solutions to tackle the misuse Read More

India must use AI to make governance efficient, citizen-centric: Anthropic CEO

Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei BENGALURU: Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei said even as artificial intelligence technology produces great value, it will also bring big economic turmoil. Read More

Bertie Carvel REACTS to Baelor’s death in ‘AKOTSK’

Actor Bertie Carvel has opened up about portraying Prince Baelor “Breakspear” Targaryen and the pivotal moment in episode 4 and 5, when the prince volunteers to fight for Ser Duncan the Tall in ‘A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Read More

Neena Gupta says Vivian Richards agreed to her having Masaba

Veteran actor Neena Gupta has revealed that former West Indies cricketer Vivian Richards had agreed to her decision to have his child, but she chose not to take any financial assistance from him while raising their daughter, Masaba Read More

Related Articles