Sunday, May 24, 2026
39.1 C
New Delhi

Evening news wrap: Jaishankar, Rubio discuss racism, defence & visa; 24 Pak personnel killed in train blast & more

Marco Rubio’s Racism Remark, Visa Talks & Quad Push Dominate Joint Presser With Jaishankar

  • External affairs minister S Jaishankar and US secretary of state Marco Rubio addressed issues ranging from visa reforms and anti-India racism to defence cooperation during a joint press conference in New Delhi.
  • At least 24 Pakistani personnel were killed and over 100 injured after the banned Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for a suicide train blast near Quetta in Balochistan.
  • At least two people were killed and 56 injured after Russia launched a massive strike on Ukraine using Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal and Zircon missiles, according to Russian state media.
  • US secretary of state Marco Rubio hinted at a possible breakthrough in Iran talks, saying the world could receive “good news” within hours despite Tehran saying a few issues remain unresolved.
  • A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best was shot dead by the US Secret Service after allegedly opening fire near the White House, triggering a major security alert.

Here are the top five news stories of the day:

From anti India racism to visa issues – Key takeaways from Jaishankar-Rubio joint press conference

External affairs minister S Jaishankar and US secretary of state Marco Rubio reaffirmed the growing strategic partnership between India and the United States during a joint press conference in New Delhi, while addressing issues ranging from visa reforms and anti-India racism to defence cooperation, trade negotiations, Iran tensions and the Quad alliance. Rubio said recent immigration policy changes were part of a global overhaul and not targeted at Indians, acknowledged the contribution of Indian immigrants and businesses to the US economy, and condemned racist remarks against Indian Americans. Read full story.

Pakistan train blast: 24 killed, over 100 injured in BLA’s ‘fidayeen attack’ near Quetta railway track

At least 24 Pakistani personnel were killed and more than 100 injured after a shuttle train carrying military personnel was targeted in a suicide vehicle-borne IED blast near Quetta in Balochistan. The train, which had departed from the Quetta military cantonment, reportedly derailed after one of its bogies was blown apart in the explosion near Chaman Phatak, triggering a fire and causing extensive damage to nearby homes and vehicles. The banned militant group Baloch Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the “fidayeen attack”, saying it specifically targeted Pakistani army personnel travelling on the train. Read full story

Russia launches hypersonic Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal & Zircon missiles in massive attack on Ukraine

At least two people were killed and 56 injured after Russia launched a massive overnight strike on Ukraine in what Moscow described as retaliation for recent Ukrainian attacks inside Russian territory. According to Russian state media, the assault involved Oreshnik, Iskander, Kinzhal and Zircon missiles targeting Ukrainian military command centres, air bases and defence industry facilities. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said an Oreshnik missile struck Bila Tserkva in the Kyiv region during a wider attack involving around 600 drones and 90 missiles. Read full story

‘World may get good news in hours,’ says Rubio; Iran claims 1-2 issues still unresolved

US secretary of state Marco Rubio has hinted at a possible breakthrough in talks with Iran, saying the world could receive “good news” within hours regarding a potential deal aimed at easing tensions in the Middle East and ending the weeks-long conflict involving the US, Iran and Israel, which is currently under a ceasefire. His remarks came a day after US President Donald Trump claimed a proposed agreement between Washington and Tehran had been “largely negotiated”, though Iranian officials cautioned that a few issues remained unresolved. Follow live updates

White House shooting: 21-year-old Nasire Best, who identified himself as Jesus Christ, shot dead

A 21-year-old man identified as Nasire Best was shot dead by the US Secret Service after allegedly opening fire near the White House. Best, who allegedly believed he was Jesus Christ, began firing near a security checkpoint outside the presidential complex, prompting Secret Service personnel to return fire. The shooting triggered a major security lockdown around the White House as federal agencies launched an investigation. Reports said US President Donald Trump was inside the White House at the time amid ongoing diplomatic discussions related to Iran. Read full story. Go to Source

Hot this week

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Topics

‘Will Break Naval Blockade’: Iran Threantens Withdrawal From NPT If ‘Enemy’ Attacks On Hormuz

Iran warns it may quit NPT and break any naval blockade if the Strait of Hormuz is attacked, as Trump touts a near Iran peace deal and talks continue over sanctions and blockades. Read More

Congress Vs Congress: Manickam Tagore Slams Karnataka Govt’s Move On Mekedatu Reservoir

Congress MP Manickam Tagore opposed Karnataka’s move to implement the Mekedatu reservoir project, calling it a “direct assault” on Tamil Nadu’s riparian rights. Read More

11 Drown In River Near Karnataka’s Bhatkal, Siddaramaiah Announces Rs 5 Lakh Ex Gratia

The group had gone to the beach to collect shellfish when the tragedy occurred. CM Siddaramaiah, President Murmu and VP CP Radhakrishnan condoled the deaths. Read More

Erika Jayne settles USD 25 million bankruptcy lawsuit

Erika Jayne had been making headlines over a bankruptcy lawsuit, with one of the first trial hearings scheduled to take place in the coming days. Read More

Big B’s Sunday darshan outside Jalsa turns chaotic after fan faints

Megastar Amitabh Bachchan’s weekly Sunday darshan outside his Mumbai residence, Jalsa, witnessed a tense moment this weekend after a fan reportedly fainted amid the huge crowd gathered to see the actor. Read More

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola makes final appearance at Etihad as Manchester City manager

Man City vs Aston Villa LIVE Score: Pep Guardiola had already confirmed his departure from Manchester City at the end of the ongoing season, and will be managing the seven-time Premier League champions one last time when they host Aston Villa at the Read More

Promised to return for dinner, never came back: Indian-origin man killed in NZ highway crash

Ramandeep Dhillon and his family often spent time outdoors An Indian-origin father of one has died after a tragic two-vehicle crash while working a late evening Uber shift in New Zealand, leaving his family devastated. Read More

India sends emergency medical aid to Africa amid growing Ebola outbreak concerns

WHO and Africa CDC have declared the Ebola situation in parts of Central and East Africa a major public health emergency, prompting heightened surveillance and travel advisories. Read More

Related Articles