Sunday, May 24, 2026
42.1 C
New Delhi

‘Good News In Next Few Hours’: Marco Rubio Drops Hint On Iran Deal From India

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Sunday hinted at a possible breakthrough in ongoing talks involving Iran, saying “significant progress” had been achieved and suggesting that more developments could emerge within hours.

Speaking during his India visit, Rubio said he would leave any formal announcement to US President Donald Trump, but acknowledged that negotiations had moved forward in recent days.

“On the Iran situation, there’ll be, I believe, maybe more news coming out a little bit later today on this topic, and I’ll leave it to the President to make further announcements on it,” Rubio said.

He further stated, “Suffice it to say that some progress has been made, significant progress, although not final progress has been made.”

‘Iran Can Never Possess A Nuclear Weapon’

Reiterating Washington’s long-standing position on Tehran’s nuclear ambitions, Rubio stressed that the central objective of the ongoing diplomatic efforts remained preventing Iran from developing nuclear weapons.

“I remind everybody that the ultimate goal is that Iran can never have a nuclear weapon. Iran can never possess a nuclear weapon,” he said.

Rubio’s remarks come amid renewed global focus on the Iran nuclear issue and growing tensions in the Gulf region over maritime security and regional stability.

ALSO READ: Jaishankar, Rubio Hold High-Level Talks In Delhi, Reaffirm India-US Strategic Partnership

Strait Of Hormuz Mentioned During Remarks

The US Secretary of State also referred to the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most strategically important shipping lanes, and criticised threats aimed at commercial vessels operating in the region.

“The Strait of Hormuz is an international waterway, and what they are doing now is basically they are threatening to destroy commercial vessels using an international waterway that is illegal under any concept of international law,” Rubio stated.

He further revealed that discussions involving Gulf partners over the last 48 hours had led to progress on a possible framework aimed at ensuring uninterrupted movement through the corridor.

“Some progress over the last 48 hours working with our partners in the Gulf region on an outline that could ultimately, if it succeeds, leave us not just with a completely open Strait of Hormuz, and I mean open Strait without tolls…” he said.

ALSO READ: ‘Not Targeted At India’: Marco Rubio On US Visa Rules Changes After Talks With Jaishankar

Rubio’s 4-Day India Visit

Rubio is currently on a four-day visit to India focused on strengthening strategic ties between New Delhi and Washington.

Earlier on Sunday, he held delegation-level talks with External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar in New Delhi, where the two sides discussed cooperation in defence, trade, emerging technologies, energy and Indo-Pacific security.

During the discussions, Rubio described India as one of the United States’ “most important strategic partners in the world.”

On Saturday, Rubio also met Prime Minister Narendra Modi shortly after arriving in the national capital following his Kolkata visit.

During his Kolkata stop, Rubio visited the Mother House and interacted with officials of the Missionaries of Charity.

(This is a breaking news story and is being updated. Please refresh for the latest updates.) Go to Source

Hot this week

UK teen rape victim says judge’s ruling felt ‘like a rock in my face’ after three boys spared jail

UK teen rape victim criticises judge’s decision after three boys spared jail. Read More

France bans far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir after Gaza flotilla video sparks outrage

The Israeli minister shared videos allegedly mocking pro-Palestinian activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, triggering international criticism and calls within Europe for sanctions against the far-right Israeli minister. Read More

Iran Says Hormuz Traffic To Return To Pre-War Levels In 30 Days; US Hints At ‘Good News’ | Top Points

The reported agreement between the US and Iran includes a 60-day ceasefire extension, during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened. Read More

Russia Confirms Using Nuclear-Capable Oreshnik Missile On Ukraine, EU Calls Move Reckless

Ukraine said Russia launched 55 missiles and hundreds of drones overnight. Air defence systems intercepted most of the incoming weapons, but several targets were still hit. Read More

39-Year-Old Killed In Shark Attack In Queensland, 3rd In Australia This Year

A 39-year-old man died after a shark attack at Kennedy Shoal in Far North Queensland, the third such attack in Australia this year. Read More

Topics

UK teen rape victim says judge’s ruling felt ‘like a rock in my face’ after three boys spared jail

UK teen rape victim criticises judge’s decision after three boys spared jail. Read More

France bans far-right Israeli minister Ben-Gvir after Gaza flotilla video sparks outrage

The Israeli minister shared videos allegedly mocking pro-Palestinian activists detained from a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, triggering international criticism and calls within Europe for sanctions against the far-right Israeli minister. Read More

Iran Says Hormuz Traffic To Return To Pre-War Levels In 30 Days; US Hints At ‘Good News’ | Top Points

The reported agreement between the US and Iran includes a 60-day ceasefire extension, during which the Strait of Hormuz would be reopened. Read More

Russia Confirms Using Nuclear-Capable Oreshnik Missile On Ukraine, EU Calls Move Reckless

Ukraine said Russia launched 55 missiles and hundreds of drones overnight. Air defence systems intercepted most of the incoming weapons, but several targets were still hit. Read More

39-Year-Old Killed In Shark Attack In Queensland, 3rd In Australia This Year

A 39-year-old man died after a shark attack at Kennedy Shoal in Far North Queensland, the third such attack in Australia this year. Read More

GK: From Gadha To Har**z*da, India’s Strangest Mango Names Explained

India grows hundreds of mango varieties, but these rare regional favourites stand out for their bizarre names, royal origins and distinctive taste profiles. Read More

Offbeat Hill Stations In South India To Visit With Children Under Rs.25K

Article highlights budget friendly family trips to offbeat South India hill stations Kotagiri, Araku Valley, Vagamon, Yelagiri and Coorg, with 3 day costs around 15000 to 25000 Go to Source Author: News18 Read More

BJP Sweeps Bengal’s Falta Too: 4 Reasons Why Sinking In ‘Safe’ Diamond Harbour Will Hurt TMC The Most

BJP wins Falta assembly constituency: Losing a TMC bastion and “safe seat” to the BJP indicates a deep shift in voter sentiment, say experts Go to Source Read More

Related Articles